Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Now starting at back patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Now starting at back patio

From Hyde Park, UT, Number 9, Drew Breeze

Woodwind WiFi 24 w/BBQ Sear Box
    Attached Files
    Last edited by glitchy; March 1, 2020, 02:56 PM. Reason: Adding grill model for searchability

Pretty much as expected so far. Not as solid as Weber, Traeger, etc. However, quality does seem up significantly from the SmokePro STX. Assembly was more work than most, but not terrible. I’m very happy in made it with all parts and no damage since shipped. Burn in running now.

Comment

Woop! Looks good so far. I will wave hi to the factory tomorrow on my way by.

Comment

Congrats.

Comment

Congratulations

Comment

Is the gas bottle hook up for a hot plate? or burner?

Comment

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              It’s the CampChef SearBox. Just a side burner with an infrared style difusser plate. I’ll grab some pics of it when I exchange tanks and fire it up.
              Last edited by glitchy; February 28, 2020, 07:43 PM.

Looking good. Keep us informed. I have enjoyed your write ups.

Comment

Unfortunately, looks like no cooking until Sunday, but it’s ready to go at least. Burn in started about 6:00, so boss ordered pizza.

Comment

And are you still married?

Comment

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  She's the one that convinced me to buy the Woodwind.

• SmokingSteve
                  SmokingSteve commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That's a good woman you got there, my friend!

Alright, flat drip pan modified to fit (a little trimming required on one end for slide and grill rails), ribs cooking, and probes checked. The probes lined up with Thermopop perfectly in ice and boiling water. Might do meatloaf tonight.

Ribs went 1 hour on high smoke, riding out the rest of the cook at 260 with smoke setting 7. I love my fireboard, but it’s nice just to grab one probe and go on shorter cooks. I’ll still use FB on overnights and with the WSCG.

I also snuck in a couple reverse seared filet mignons and one tilapia filet yesterday, but didn’t snag pics as time was crunched between activities. Turned out good. I wasn’t blown away by the sear box, but waiting to see how it performs with grill grates in a couple days.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by glitchy; March 1, 2020, 10:37 AM.

Comment

• yaleforks
                  yaleforks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Tell me about the flat drip pan...

• glitchy
                  glitchy commented
                  Editing a comment
                  For the flat drip pan, I bought the drip pan for their other pellet grills (non SG/Woodwind). I used the Woodwind drip tray to mark the drain end and cut it with a jig saw equipped with a metal cutting blade and filed off rough edges. It's awkward to hold and mark, but you can put the two pans together drip edge to drip edge and use a sharpie. Basically, you are chopping of metal for the slide and grill rails.

• yaleforks
                  yaleforks commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks!! Think I'm gonna do the same to mine. Don't need the slide and grill feature.

Had wibs for lunch, could taste smoke, so off to a much better start than the Traeger last week. Wife kept saying these wibs are soooo much better than the last ones. Smoke wasn’t overly strong (but adequate for us), but I will definitely try level 10 sometime.
                Attached Files

Comment

The app for CampChef’s WiFi is pretty decent. It’s a very simple and intuitive interface that doesn’t require a lot of extra clicks and screen jumps. It alerts you when startup is done, set temp is reached, and really importantly when the temp drops really quickly potentially indicating a flameout early. It alerted me a couple times spritzing and rearranging ribs, which seemed fair since I had the lid open for 2-3 minutes probably. I do think this guy will stick around a while.

So far food is a notch below the Weber in smokiness, but still very passable. There seems to be less ash accumulation than the Weber, and no grease mixed in it. The Slide N Grill actually makes clean up easier, since you vacuum around heat shield, then just slide it over and vacuum under where it was. With the fire pot dump, they recommend cleaning gevery 50 hours. On the SmokePro STX, I usually went every 40 lbs of pellets or after a cook that I needed to replace the drip tray foil if that was sooner.

I did some temp testing Friday night and left side is about 10 degrees hotter which is pretty acceptable, IMO. I switched smoke levels a few times too, and didn’t see much change in range, but in how often it bounced up and down.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Looks pretty cool. I'm probably a ways off from upgrading my pellet, but I do appreciate the reviews. It will help me when the time comes.

Comment

Those ribs look awfully good from here.... congrats on the new addition!

Comment

After the cooks today, I’m thinking about asking Drew to stick around a while. I’m pretty happy with this one. Every cooker has its quirks but there seems to be a lot to love about the Woodwind Today the WiFi wasn’t working when I cooked dinner because our router needed restarted. I had noticed a bypass option on startup so I gambled and turned the grill off and back on, set temp, hit bypass and barely missed a beat and WiFi reconnected.

Comment

• rickgregory
                          rickgregory commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Ya can't cut Drew!

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here