Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Jan 27 email recipes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jan 27 email recipes

Okay guys & gals, I need a little help here.

Just got the Super Bowl suggestions email and liked a couple of the rib suggestions that definitely want to try - and soon. Here's the problem; none of the cooking instructions are for pellet grills and that is the only thing I have that I would want to use. I can't get my Bradley smoker to get that hot unless I modify it by adding a second element - and that ain't gonna happen.

I would guess that I could just set the pellet grill for 225 and go for it. But I've only been using the pellet pooper for 11 month's, so I'm asking for a little help form all y'all since you've been great on helping in the past.

So what say you?

I don't know to which email or recipes your referring. Do you have any links? Any ribs recipe shouldn't really be concerned about what cooker you're using.

Comment

Cookers are cookers. The big deal is being able to maintain the temp you want. No reason to cook at 225* unless you want to spend a lot of time watching. Try 250* OR 275*. It will cook a little faster for you.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        How do you know when your ribs are done? I assume you are talking pork St Louie or babybacks?

Meat starts to pull back from the end of the bone. About 1/2 inch and you should check as below.....

Some people like the bend test. Pick it up in the middle with some tongs and watch to see if it cracks along the bones.

I like to probe between the bones with a tooth pick. When it goes in nice and easy I'm done.
        Last edited by HawkerXP; January 29, 2020, 07:22 AM.

• dubob
        dubob commented
        Editing a comment
        Hopefully, my response below will clear up why 225*F and where it came from (it is Meatheads recipe).

I get Smoke Signals emails from AmazingRibs.com on a regular basis. The one I referred to was this one:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoke Signals.png
Views:	309
Size:	367.7 KB
ID:	797125

Two of the recipes I want to try are there:

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib Recipes.png
Views:	294
Size:	200.8 KB
ID:	797126

The links to these two recipes are here: Char Siu Ribs and Chief's KC Style Ribs

Comment

I saw you talk about a couple of brisket cooks you've done on another post. Cook ribs however you cooked the brisket. Indirect is indirect. I would start at 225* if you are looking for some smoke flavor then crank up to 250* or 275* I should add disclaimer: I do not nor ever had a pellet pooper.
        Last edited by HawkerXP; January 28, 2020, 02:54 PM.

Comment

I'm still not understanding exactly what you're asking here. Every pellet smoker I've seen can cook at 225 which is what the recipes call for.

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            Meathead's recipe calls for offset cooking with either a charcoal grill or a gas grill and using wood chunks for the smoke. To the best of my limited knowledge, pellet grills are not offset cooking grills and cook differently than do charcoal or gas and produce less smoke. So my questions are do I need to compensate for the differences in smoke profile or heat distribution with pellet vs charcoal/gas? I can get the 225*F; I can't do offset.

I think he is talking about the video for Last Meal Ribs where Meathead sauces the ribs and puts them meat side down over direct coals for 30 - 60 seconds.
          On my pellet smoker, I don’t turn the heat up after adding sauce. I put the ribs back on the smoker for 15 - 30 minutes until the sauce is tacky.

Comment

• dubob
            dubob commented
            Editing a comment
            I didn't watch the video; I just read the recipe instructions. I've never done ribs the way he described it. I'm just curious if I have to adjust anything or do anything different with time a/o temps because I'm going to do it on a pellet grill vs an offset cooker - which i don't have, have never used, and never even heard about before coming here after buying my pellet grill 11 month's ago.

You will be totally fine just using your pellet smoker. The pellets already are providing the wood smoke flavor. In his case he is adding wood to the charcoal to get what your pellet smoker already provides. Your pellet smoker is already an offset cooker as your meat is not being directly exposed to the fire’s flames. (Unless your smoker has a flame door that can open over the firebox like my Yoder) As he said in one article you can also produce the food in a regular indoor oven but of course you would lose the smoke flavor. Jusr throw them on and cook at the 225, or higher if you wish, and you will produce some outstanding food.

Comment

Your entire pellet cooker *is* indirect. The entire commentary in the recipes about setting up for indirect does not apply to your cooker. Just set the temperature to 225 or so, and cook away.

I’m planning to try that Char-siu recipe myself next time I make ribs. By cutting the ribs up, it’s like what we call ‘blasphemy ribs’ here in the pit, and they get done in 2.5-3 hours versus 4.5 to 6 for a full rack of ribs.

Comment

If you have a pellet cooker you need to boil the ribs first.

Just kidding! These guys got you covered.

Comment

😂 😂😂 Mosca you are a funny dude
                Last edited by Oakgrovebacon; January 29, 2020, 05:57 AM.

Comment

The Smoke Signals newsletter is a public newsletter that goes to about 69,000 other folks who are not members here....so they're likely not as "into BBQ" as most of us here. So often the recipes or techniques shared in Smoke Signals is geared toward the average Joe & Jane who has a gas grill or a charcoal grill and doesn't know how to use it as a smoker. And as jfmorris stated plainly above, pellet cookers/smokers are indirect, the diffuser and drip tray create a barrier to the firepot's direct heat, no need to do anything special with yours. Put the meat in, hit go, and watch your temps and your time/doneness. Hope this helps.

Comment

Originally posted by Huskee View Post
                    The Smoke Signals newsletter is a public newsletter that goes to about 69,000 other folks who are not members here....so they're likely not as "into BBQ" as most of us here. So often the recipes or techniques shared in Smoke Signals is geared toward the average Joe & Jane who has a gas grill or a charcoal grill and doesn't know how to use it as a smoker. And as jfmorris stated plainly above, pellet cookers/smokers are indirect, the diffuser and drip tray create a barrier to the firepot's direct heat, no need to do anything special with yours. Put the meat in, hit go, and watch your temps and your time/doneness. Hope this helps.
                    Yep - it does help. Thanks to all y'all for your input (and humor).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here