Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally!

After nearly 18-months of shopping, comparing, fretting and second-guessing, I finally bit the bullet and ordered my first pellet smoker (I hesitate to call it a "grill" -- I've got my Weber "Genesis" for that): a Camp Chef Woodwind Classic + Sidekick package (with cover, pellets, and an optional thermal blanket -- hey, it gets cold up here this time of year!). I'm looking forward to reading everyone's tips-and-tricks and, of course, recipe suggestions. By all means, send them along!
    Last edited by luhnlaw; October 23, 2019, 11:52 AM.

Congratulations on your new pellet smoker. I know you will enjoy it.

Comment

Welcome to the wonderful world of pellets, enjoy

Comment

Welcome! 2 questions: 1) Where upstate? 2) What's your area of practice? I do plaintiff PI in the NYC Metro area.

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok, so I admit Web-stalking you. I love the picture of you with your granddaughter. I just became s grandfather 4 months ago. Also a little girl.

• luhnlaw
          luhnlaw commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats of the grandbaby.

• luhnlaw
          luhnlaw commented
          Editing a comment
          Sheltering provides time for responding! 😷 In the process of winding down my Saratoga County, NY practice (1st 14 yrs. strictly plaintiff’s p/I; then 5 yrs. prosecuting oil spillers for the AG; and 16 yrs. mats and family law). The Camp Chef is working very well. I got up this morning at 6 a.m. to concoct Meathead’s famous salt-free rub (after dry brining a pork roast overnight) and the roast is now smoking at 225* for 12 hrs. Tonight: pulled pork and homemade coleslaw. 😎 Reports will follow!

For steaks and burgers I set my GMG to 500 and throw an old heavy grill section on top of the light grates that come on the GMG. (a GrillGrate will porbably work great too) I throw the steaks or burgers on right out of the fridge when the temp hits 475. I put a probe in the middle of the steak at the start and flip it when it gets to 70-75 degrees. I cooked a turkey last year and it came out great. Test for grate temp vs the CC temp readout. My GMG runs hotter than it indicates.

Comment

Welcome from the mountains of NC. I have spent some time in Oswego in the winter so can only pity your poor winters. I would recommend getting a Maverick 72 or Thermoworks Smoke so that you can check the grill temp and meat temp as you cook your meats. Also a good instant read thermometer I have the TW Mk4 they often go on sale.

Comment

• luhnlaw
            luhnlaw commented
            Editing a comment
            My Maverick just arrived this morning. The USPS, UPS and FedEx folk are going to be able to find their way here in their sleep!

Congrats on the new cooker.

Comment

Originally posted by luhnlaw View Post
            After nearly 18-months of shopping, comparing, fretting and second-guessing, I finally bit the bullet and ordered my first pellet smoker (I hesitate to call it a "grill" -- I've got my Weber "Genesis" for that): a Camp Chef Woodwind Classic + Sidekick package (with cover, pellets, and an optional thermal blanket -- hey, it gets cold up here this time of year!). I'm looking forward to reading everyone's tips-and-tricks and, of course, recipe suggestions. By all means, send them along!
            I've had my Woodwind SG since February. I have the insulated blanket as well - day-time winter temps here can be single digits. I have produced some excellent pulled pork, pork/beef ribs, smoked fish, and game jerky on mine. The one thing that I think is a hoax in their advertising is the fire pot cleanout. Its a joke. You will have to clean/vacuum the entire grill at least every other cook if not after every cook. This is a given from others comments on here for almost every brand of pellet machine. Learning to use it is a fun and short curve in my experience, especially if you already have some experience with BBQ (which you indicated you do). I did a combination cook last week of sous vide/pellet smoke on some wild duck breasts. Turned out very good. Life is good and smoked food is better.

Comment

Congrats! Waitin on the pics of arrival & unboxing. 🕶

Comment

Congrats! I call them pellet "cookers" since they are neither a smoker or a grill, but they are also both a smoker and a grill... how's that for semantics?

Comment

Up at 5:30 A.M. and braved the 16 degrees on my deck, chipped away 2” of ice on my Camp Chef, and put a 4# shoulder in there. Temp set at 225. Hope to be feasting by 6 P.M. tonight with a nice cab and my sweetie. The smoking season starts today! Neither ice, snow, rain ...

Comment

• jfmorris
                    jfmorris commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Let us know how the Camp Chef maintains temp in those frigid temperatures! We have a heat wave up to 36 or so predicted here today. Then rain, then back below freezing, and freezing rain. Oh boy!

Announcement

Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X
                false
                ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                false
                false
                {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                Yes
                ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here