Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interim Pellet Smoker - Camp Chef SmokePro

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interim Pellet Smoker - Camp Chef SmokePro

In an attempt to resist the temptations to buy a RecTec, Traeger Ironwood, Grilla, etc. before the Weber comes out and we get to see all the details, I picked up a Camp Chef SmokePro STX from eBay for $259. That's crazy for a pellet grill. Hopefully, I can resist the desire to buy a bunch of accessories for it since the plan will likely be to resell it next Spring.

Resistance is futile. But good pick up. I really want a Grilla Chimp so I can have something portable, but life keeps getting in the way. Plus I have a Traeger Scout that won't die (but it is only a little over a year old).

Comment

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Ya just want somethin' to monkey around with.

Sounds like a lot of cooker for the money to me!

Comment

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s what I thought. With the ash clean out I might really like it even though it’s kinda ugly looking. Who knows, maybe a searbox and a blanket and keep it a while, we’ll see. I was thinking about a PitBoss vertical for something different but didn’t find any deals and stumbled across this looking for those.

• dubob
      dubob commented
      Editing a comment
      glitchy, the ash clean out claims for the Camp Chef is nothing more than advertising hype. I bought the Woodwind SG last February and absolutely love it, but the smoker body still fills up with ash after every cook and needs to be vacuumed out at least every 2 or 3 cooks. The ash collection cup has NEVER had more than a half a cup of ash in it after a cook. The other 99% of the ash is in the bottom of the body. Just thought you should know.

• glitchy
      glitchy commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I don’t expect it to eliminate cleaning altogether. Im thinking it might be nice to empty it for a quick weeknight cook or two before a more thorough cleaning when you just finished a long cook the weekend before.

I was looking at that last week, before news of the Weber came out. Looks like a darn fine smoker.

Comment

Nice score! From Memphis to Camp Chef... it’ll be interesting to see whatcha think of the CS

Comment

• glitchy
        glitchy commented
        Editing a comment
        The Memphis was a superb grill, but was a pain in the rear to clean and had to be used with great planning to avoid grease fires. I really won’t miss it with the Summit around too. The WiFi I will miss, but that’s not unique to Memphis.

Got it yesterday, assembly was pretty easy, roll it over ad assemble legs, attach stack and handle, put removable parts in place. 30-45 mins. It was packaged very well, better protection than Weber uses in their packaging. Relatively cheaply made, but was very cheap to buy, seems decent enough quality for price. Did a burn in last night. About 45 mins at 350, 20-30 at 400, then a while at 225. Doing inaugural cook today of 2 Duroc butts.
      Attached Files

Comment

First one off.
        Attached Files

Comment

Is it just me, or does anybody else notice there hasn't been many posts since the site upgrade? glitchy, how did it taste?

Comment

I pulled the first one (finished picture) at 202 as it was getting really late for dinner. It was OK/pretty good. Even after 30-45 minutes to rest, it didn't pull the easiest in a couple parts of it, so I might have had the probe slightly off where it needed to be. I normally check a few spots with my ThermoPop, but we were starving. Didn't take more pics...because we were starving.

The second one I took off after dinner at around 205. It looked a ton better and pulled much easier. My wife said it tasted better too. That one was all vacuumed sealed up and given to a friend at church and her husband because she had surgery on Monday and I wanted them to have some quick easy meals in their freezer during the recovery.

This is the only cook I've had time to do on Foster so far. I cooked a rack of beef ribs on Sunday, but did those on the WSCG. Sorry, no pics of those either since I got called by work right at dinner time, so I sliced it up and let the girls start eating while I took care of work. They were quite delicious though, when I got to eat about the time the girls were finished.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here