Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Offering from Camp Chef

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I thought this was an interesting comparison. This channel was one of the channels invited to Utah to test the Woodwind Pro before it was announced. While they say it did a great job, I’m impressed that they did not just shill for the new product and their likely affiliate link.

it also reinforces my decision to get a gravity fed charcoal smoker (albeit the Char-Griller instead of the Masterbuilt).

- Steve

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
      ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
      Editing a comment
      I guess I saw the video differently, there was obvious shilling for the CC. Hey Grill Hey's (Susie Bulloch) first major sponsorship I believe was Camp Chef, her site is the second one I go to after here when looking for pellet grill inspiration, but I'm gonna wait until Max or one of y'all gives a comparison review before I'll trust anything.

• NumbWhistle
      NumbWhistle commented
      Editing a comment
      I see where you’re coming from. I guess I was just impressed that, to a person, they all said the Masterbuilt produced a better tasting product. I went into the video assuming they were going to go in the opposite direction - saying the Masterbuilt was good, but that the Camp Chef took things to another level.

I agree wholeheartedly, though, that I am looking very forward to someone here getting their hands on the Camp Chef so as to get a more unbiased opinion of it.

Max Good still running this thing through the ringer?

Comment

• Max Good
      Max Good commented
      Editing a comment
      Juggling lots of projects. It's on my list. I saw it in action and may be able to answer some of your questions.

It works as advertised. Produces a nice smoke flavor. The company and its manufacturing is in a bit of disarray. The top shelves arrived damaged. The side kick is extremely finicky - the igniter has to be positioned just so in order to light. By contrast I have a 12 year old Weber that lights on the first try every time. Finally, after a few cooks I started getting grease drips down the rear and pooling in the legs. After 2 weeks of no response I went to Twitter and they responded immediately saying they failed to seal the cook chamber properly. Initially they wanted me to use lava lock but ended up sending me a new cook chamber which I then had to disassemble and reassemble.

There is a lot to like but also many points of potential failure. I love my pit barrel for simplicity, I just wish it was larger and easier to add fuel.
    Attached Files

Comment

• Schwyy
      Schwyy commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the original woodwind, and the manufacture and shipping was brutal. customer service makes it right, but it took a while

• jpsep
      jpsep commented
      Editing a comment
      Update on this, the new cook chamber also leaked on the first cook. They gave me some money back and I sealed it myself with lava lock. Extremely disappointing. I'm usually pretty good about doing my research before large purchases but this one really got me. I tagged a bunch of BBQ youtube personalities and Meathead on Twitter but unfortunately no one else has chimed in.

• MtView
      MtView commented
      Editing a comment
      Any chance to use it in cold weather / windy weather? Does it maintain temperature with those vents in the back?

It actually holds heat extremely well. I bought the magnetic thermal cover which helps.

Comment

I was skeptical about my masterbuilt 40 inch digital charcoal smoker at first. It turns out fine food, but is just really flimsy, especially the firebox portion. Still not sold on it, but I got it for $125 so not upset if it only makes it a couple of years.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here