Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DLX24 Ash Dump Slide Door Sticks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

DLX24 Ash Dump Slide Door Sticks

The ash dump door on my DLX24 sticks badly and is difficult to open and close. Does anyone know of a food safe lubricant that I could use on it or should I just take apart every time I clean out the smoker?

I would always unlatch it before a cook and slide it back and forth vigorously, then do the same after the cook. Never needed anything to lube it. Is it rusting or is the plate warped that you can discern?

Comment

Mine was sticking quite a bit, so I pulled it out, made sure it was flat likeGolfGeezer mentioned, then scraped it down really well on both sides with a painters tool. Worked a lot better after that. They make food grade silicone that might loosen gunk up in the channels where it slides, but I’d think any lubrication would burn away after the first fire.

Comment

Wow. I can tell you that at 63 my dump door works just fine...... wait...what?
        Last edited by HawkerXP; October 25, 2021, 04:33 PM.

Comment

• IdahoJim
          IdahoJim commented
          Editing a comment
          Woah. TMI

• bbqLuv
          bbqLuv commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL. will there be a coming out party?

No, it doesn't look warped, but it has always been difficult to open and close since Day 1. Upon closer inspection, there does appear to be quite a bit of grease and ash built up on the door and the connecting rod. I think I'll take it out, degrease it, and take a little steel wool to it. We'll see what happens. Thanks for your thoughts.

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine was doing the same thing, it was stuck TIGHT when the cooker was cold. I could dump it easy right after shutdown while it was still warm.
          This weekend I took it out and used some 220 sandpaper around the edges and that helped a ton!!

Camp Chef just told me that there is a protectant on the metal parts from the factory. When the smokers are initially heated the protectant melts and can seal the slide to the track. They advised me to hit it from the top, bottom and on the handle with a rubber mallet. Worked like a charm. Slides easily now. Just took a little tap and it's free.

Comment

• Whiskeyman53
          Whiskeyman53 commented
          Editing a comment
          I've had the same problem for a year, I'll try this idea next time I use my Camp Chef.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Good ol' percussive maintenance.

I've started dumping the ash while the smoker is still warm, That seems to have taken care of the problem. Thanks to all...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here