Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How inaccurate is the supplied thermometer? SG Wifi 24

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How inaccurate is the supplied thermometer? SG Wifi 24

I had a non-consistently-tender result with a boneless pork butt in my first attempt at a tough cut on my newish smoker. I pulled it at 200°F per the supplied probe, which I'm confident was properly placed. And that seemed a fairly conservative temperature. I now wonder if it under read by more than 10 degrees. How bad is the calibration typically?

I don't own this particular pellet grill, so no ability to comment based on my own experience. But I did find a few different references to the meat probe being off by 10 degrees

Comment

Not familiar with this one, but I checked the one that came with my Grilla with both a leave in Maverick XR 50 probe and I checked with a thermapen periodically. Maybe get an external meat thermometer to compare?

Comment

DeborahL if the butt and resultant pulled pork was tough, it sure sounds like the meat was undercooked and below 200F. Even with a high quality leave in thermometer like my Thermoworks Smoke, I use my Thermapen to spot check several spots on the butt, to not only ensure it is probe tender throughout (like pushing through warm butter), but to double check the temperature. I usually let the butts go to 203 to 205 before I pull them, then let them rest wrapped in foil for about an hour before pulling the pork.

I've had butts still be tough at 195 to 200 that were finally probe tender at 203, 205 or even 208 based on the leave in thermometer.

I wouldn't trust the built in probe on any grill or smoker until I confirmed its readings with a high quality instant read thermometer or leave in probe that you know is accurate.

Comment

• DeborahL
          DeborahL commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! Very helpful input.

First, pull when it's probe tender, not at a specific temp. Every hunk o' meat is different and the finished temp may differ.

And it's easy to check your thermometer. Just place the probe in boiling water and it should read close to 212, but the BP of water is less the higher your elevation above sea level.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          +1

• DeborahL
          DeborahL commented
          Editing a comment
          Yeah, I thought about doing a boiling water test...

I believe this is a Camp Chef. Mine is several years old and I’ve never used the probes that came with it. I have a Fireboard and a Thermapen MK4. When the Thermapen slides on with no resistance, it’s done. I start checking at about 203.

Comment

I just did two 7 lb boneless shoulders on my Traeger on Sunday. I did them @ 200 in hot Wisconsin weather. I had the supplied probe in 1 shoulder and a Thermoworks Alarm in the other. For whatever reason they ended up taking about 19 hours to smoke. There was about a 7 degree difference between the two shoulders and I pulled them when they reached 205, but not just where the probe was but when I consistently got 205 from using my Thermoworks Pop (instant) on other spots. Best pulled pork I've made.

Comment

On the Woodwind I had, the probes were pretty accurate. I would think they would be the same probes, BUT it’s still up to the software to read them accurately. I always test grill probes with both an ice bath and the boiling water test RonB suggested before I rely on them and almost always double check with an instant read when they say stuff is done.
            Last edited by glitchy; July 7, 2021, 09:03 PM.

Comment

• ecowper
              ecowper commented
              Editing a comment
              Gotta give credit where it's due .... It was the brilliant RonB that suggested the boiling water test. I agree with him, though. :-)

• DeborahL
              DeborahL commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, the physicist in me said calibrate with ice water and boiling water. When Elsa has gone past, I'll give that a go!

• glitchy
              glitchy commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks ecowper I fixed above, I guess I need to slow down a bit.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here