Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blazin' in the rain, just Blazin' in...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Blazin' in the rain, just Blazin' in...

...the rain. Central Texas has been "enjoying" a shock to the system weather wise. Sunday was sunny with the temps in the upper 80s, Monday this front came through dropping our temps to the 40s bringing rain with it. I took several days off to spend time with family visiting, and dang it it was pouring rain this morning so I got a late start getting the pork butt on.

​​​​​​Have set my Blazin' Grand Slam to 295F, believing the butt will tolerate that without significant penalty. We'll see how the insulated lid upgrade pays off for me - thus far it's holding steady about 300F even though there's a bunch of wind out. We went from late summer to early winter in less than 24 hours.

Got FLOODED last night. Pumped off the patio like three freaking times. Got lucky the electricity didn't go out and kill the Grid Iron.

Comment

• AmosMoses01
      AmosMoses01 commented
      Editing a comment
      Sorry to hear about the flooding... I hope you didn't get any water in the house!

I was worried about losing power too, while at a small group breakfast this morning the power went out at the diner. Good thing I had good old cash with me to pay - credit card machines were useless without power.

Did rotisserie chicken last night and ended up having to use way more charcoal+wood. Thought I would need a kayak to get to work today. Jerod Broussard man sorry you are all flooded man.

Comment

We get water in the garage and in one bathroom as a result of it being next to the garage. Ironically I have a small boat on the slab in the garage.

Comment

Well, I let it ride at the 295F point and the butt took 7 hours and 2 minutes to hit 203F. Definitely vastly faster than the normal 12 hour runs, and the Mrs and daughter both were pleased with the results. I found it to be a bit dry, but that could also be (likely is) due to this butt being surprisingly lean - no where near the marbling/fat you'd expect.

Either way, I came away impressed with the performance of the Blazin' Grand Slam. It held the temps very, very well even with a lot of wind most of the day, and the ambient temperature never got above 48F. I do need to sort out an issue with the WiFi module not working, but I suspect that the antenna got loose.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          I ganked the money muscle off mine for brunch. Put the rest in a holding pattern for the FLY.

I feel your pain here in Dallas. We had 8” in the last 7 days.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
          Jerod Broussard commented
          Editing a comment
          12" last two days. I guarantee most of it last night. That was at 1830 today.

• AmosMoses01
          AmosMoses01 commented
          Editing a comment
          We've had a crazy past few months of rain, haven't we? I'm praying for all the folk hit with flooding.

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          AmosMoses01 Yep! We haven’t seen the sun all week. The temps are in the 40s. It reminds me of February in New Orleans. Dallas averages 39” of rain a year (2” more than Seattle) and we have had 20” since September.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here