Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for Blaz'N owners

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for Blaz'N owners

This may not be an issue, but it just bugs the hell out me. On my Grid Iron, and the Grand Slam before it, there is always a fair amount of grease on the bottom of the pit, on the back side as you face it. I wrap the drip tray in foil and I center the meat over the tray or cheat a little towards the front of the tray. No matter what I do, there is always grease under the "heat shield" or whatever you call the removable metal piece that is on both sides of the burn pot. I foil underneath that shield as well, and that does help with clean up, but some how grease is still getting underneath it too.
    I've called Blaz'n and explained the issue a couple of times, and they are nice enough and listen to me, but they say they've never heard of that from any other customers. I have to believe that it's happening to others but they may not be reporting it or they just clean it up and move on to the next cook. So, do any of the Blaz'N owners here have similar issues and if so, have you been able to stop it from happening or minimize it? I'd appreciate any feedback, thanks. Here are few pics from after the last brisket cook.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	Grid Iron grease.jpg
Views:	586
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	1062862Click image for larger version

Name:	Grease 2.jpg
Views:	552
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1062863Click image for larger version

Name:	Grease 3.jpg
Views:	557
Size:	84.1 KB
ID:	1062864Click image for larger version

Name:	Drip tray.jpg
Views:	548
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	1062865

I have yet to clean mine. I have just been dumping the fire pot. It does need a deep cleaning so I will check it out. Honestly that would not bother me unless it was enough to cause a grease fire.

Comment

Is the grill sitting level? If not, buy a pack of shims and put one under each back leg, (or wheel). I'm thinkin' that the grease may be flowing across the grate and dripping down the back.

Comment

• Flat Rocker
        Flat Rocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks RonB - I should have mentioned that I checked to make sure it was level and it may have been a frog's hair or two off, but not enough to make a difference. I appreciate your input.
        It's just the principle of the thing for me now, why is there grease at the back of the pit after every cook, never the front. My other theory is that grease is spattering on the lid insulator and dripping down the back, which I'll never be able to change.

That is odd. I've LOADED down my Grid Iron many times and while I do have some grease on the back side, it took hundreds of pounds of meat to get even the slightest build up. And the shield over the fire pot has never been stained.

The only thing I can guess is plenty grease loops under the drip pan and travels back towards the hopper end, eventually dripping off at/near the fire pot.

Are you using any water pans?

Comment

• Flat Rocker
        Flat Rocker commented
        Editing a comment
        I think it's odd too, or that I'm the only one having the issue.
        I don't use a water pan. I'm going to add a couple of other pics that kind of shows where it looks like the grease is coming from, almost down the center of the back wall of the pit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_101827.jpg
Views:	526
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	1062965Click image for larger version

Name:	20210703_102545.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	93.2 KB
ID:	1062966

Comment

• Flat Rocker
        Flat Rocker commented
        Editing a comment
        It looks like something in the middle of the back of the pit on the top pic.
        There doesn't appear to be anything leaking from under the drip tray at the chimney side.

Maybe this won't work.

However, have you tried heating the smoker to 450 empty, letting it run for 10 minutes or so, and opening it up to see if you can see how the grease is developing there? Maybe even throw on a sacrificial burger for grease?

I couldn't figure out where the grease was coming from on my smoker(A Masterbuilt) until I finally did this and noticed that when I opened the lid, the grease would run down the back of the lid and down the leg.

Comment

• Flat Rocker
        Flat Rocker commented
        Editing a comment
        Great suggestion! Thanks, I will give that a try.

I did end up cleaning mine. There was very very little grease almost none under my deflector plate. I have been cooking on it since March. Plenty of ribs and Butts and all kinds of steaks, chops, and chicken. It needed to be scraped and vacuumed but no grease. There is a ton of rust. Both on the plate and fittings inside the box. I will probably call Blazin' about it.
      Last edited by Old Glory; October 1, 2021, 03:11 PM.

Comment

• STEbbq
        STEbbq commented
        Editing a comment
        That is disappointing to hear.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here