Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grid Iron Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This might sound a little weird, but that shot of those mushrooms is spectacular! Good work man.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks had some herbs in the fridge and tossed them in. Came out great very tasty.

Congratulations on the new cooker! I get a kick out of the torn box with a pallet fork sized hole in it.

Comment

• Old Glory
      Old Glory commented
      Editing a comment
      I saw that hole and it made me very nervous. I opened up that area and luckily all was fine.

Lookin good!

Comment

Congrats on the new rig!

Comment

Second Cook - Boneless Skin On Chicken Thighs Rubbed with Pepper Palace Orange Chipotle Rub. Still using the included bag of BBQ Delight Hickory Pellets. Set temp to 350 to start cooker the bumped up to 375. Super juicy and flavorful. Skin could have been crisper, but I never let it dry out because we defrosted it that morning on the counter.

Two issues:
        1. The pull out firepot was stuck so I had to remove the deflector plate to vac out ashes. After I vacuumed I used the persuader to loosen thing up so now it comes out fine.
        2. It was a bitch to get the deflector plate back in. It has to go in just right. I have it figured out now but it was frustrating.
        The chicken was very tasty and the rub was a nice change from the usual BBQ Rubs. Again, smoke profile was minimal. It is pretty awesome to just set a temp and not worry about it.

Chicken On:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1229.jpeg
Views:	423
Size:	232.9 KB
ID:	1015272

Chicken Done:

Name:	IMG_1234.jpeg
Views:	373
Size:	329.0 KB
ID:	1015273

Comment

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          That's what I am talking about. Great looking chicken. I find I am using my Chimp more and more, and I am actually considering getting a full size pellet grill. I am going to try a small butt on the Chimp first and see how much I like the lighter smoke flavor on a long cook first. But plugging it in, setting the temps and waling away is great for a lazy man like me lol.

Did Tri-Tip last night. Was part of my second order from Alpine Butcher. Prime Beef very good quality. Reverse seared still using the Hickory pellets. Set temp at 250 and took the meat to 120 then seared on the Grill Grates over the trap door in the deflector. I used the flat side and it did a great job. It gives a more even sear across the surface of the meat rather than just grill marks. This thing is a reverse searing machine. I have been surprised by the volume of flames coming from the fire pot.

A few Pics:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1245.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.68 MB ID:	1015709

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1246.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.96 MB ID:	1015710

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1247.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	1015711
        Last edited by Old Glory; April 10, 2021, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• glitchy
          glitchy commented
          Editing a comment
          You definitely are getting a very impressive sear on that pellet grill. Now you need to get some 100% hickory pellets and smoke something running a couple hours at 200 then bump up and see if you can get smoke you like better.

• Old Glory
          Old Glory commented
          Editing a comment
          glitchy I have been happy so far. Searing has been pretty good. I don't like a ton of smoke on my steaks or my chicken so the subtle smoke has been perfect. I usually don't add wood to those cooks on the WSCG. I am doing two Pork Butts this week so I will be testing out the low and slow smoke then.

Having fun with the new toy. Threw some Italian Sausage and Chicken Apple Sausage on the grill with a skillet of peppers and onions.

Name:	IMG_1254.jpeg
Views:	342
Size:	257.5 KB
ID:	1016059

Name:	IMG_1259.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	236.7 KB
ID:	1016061

Name:	IMG_1262.jpeg
Views:	344
Size:	258.6 KB
ID:	1016060

A nice Pilsner from Maine

Name:	IMG_1258.jpeg
Views:	377
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	1016058

Comment

• Skip
          Skip commented
          Editing a comment
          Looking good Old Glory !

Thursday smoked a big Pork Butt on the BGI. A new couple moved in, and it is the tradition in our neighborhood to welcome new families by everyone taking turns cooking them a dinner. We were up Thursday. It was time to test the BGI with a low and slow cook.

The butt was rubbed with Oakridge Dominator Sweet Rub. Set up on the second level full size grate with a a drip pan placed under the meat to keep things clean. I have no problem using a drip pan for this it is no big deal and I am happy not to have to de-grease the inside of the cooker. Ran the it at 160 for four hours to get smoke on that gorgeous butt.

Rubbed and ready

Name:	IMG_1312.jpeg
Views:	336
Size:	318.1 KB
ID:	1018874

Set up on the Cooking Grate With Drip Pan Below. Keep using my Fireboard, will have to try the included meat probe from Blazin' at some point.

Name:	IMG_1315.jpeg
Views:	349
Size:	329.3 KB
ID:	1018873

After a Few hours at 160

Name:	IMG_1319.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	320.3 KB
ID:	1018877

Cranked up to 275 for the remainder of the cook. Starting to get some bark

Name:	IMG_1327.jpeg
Views:	337
Size:	331.3 KB
ID:	1018876

Finished product. Good Bark but not outstanding

Name:	IMG_1328.jpeg
Views:	339
Size:	268.9 KB
ID:	1018878

Delivered the goods and kept some for us. My wife's buttermilk coleslaw and Best BBQ Beans from Kenji's Website

Name:	IMG_1331.jpeg
Views:	346
Size:	186.3 KB
ID:	1018875

Homemade Chocolate Chip Cookies for Dessert

Name:	IMG_1329.jpeg
Views:	415
Size:	199.0 KB
ID:	1018872

Post cook analysis. It was incredibly easy to set up this cook and manage temps. I probably used 10 lbs of Competition Mix. The pork was tender and juicy with good overall flavor. I did not wrap or spritz. Smoke was there but it was not the main player. Again, it was much more subtle than charcoal and chunk. It just tasted clean and restrained. You could discern the flavors in the rub and the caramelized sugars in the bark and overall everything was more balanced. I am very pleased with it however I could see where hardcore smoke eaters would be disappointed.

A few other notes. I bought a cover with the grill. It seems like it is good quality. It is heavy and thick material. However it is short and does not cover the outside shelf. It needs to be about 10 inches longer. I had to use bungee cords to secure it in yesterday's Nor' Easter. Luckily it does have grommets to allow for this. The pull out firepot was very tight at first and I had to tap it with a hammer to get it out. It is loosening up now and is a very convenient way to clean out the ash.

My meat probe died on my Fireboard. It is about a year old. I did notice it was frayed when I pulled it out.

Comment

Did a couple of racks of ribs on BGI. Used competition mix pellets. Again incredibly easy to set and maintain temps on this cooker. Preheated the grill then set at 165 let them ride there for two hours then pushed it up to 275 for two hours. Wrapped in foil with some brown sugar and apple cider vinegar for another hour. Removed from foil and glazed with Sweet Baby Ray's cooking another 15 minutes to set the sauce. Ribs were tender and had a nice pink ring. However there was a definite lack of smoke flavor this time. The ribs were good and the family loved them but I missed the smoke. I will try the smoker box with the ribs next time out.

Name:	IMG_1688.jpeg
Views:	325
Size:	264.7 KB
ID:	1035563

Name:	IMG_1691.jpeg
Views:	299
Size:	330.7 KB
ID:	1035564

Comment

• Dewesq55
            Dewesq55 commented
            Editing a comment
            They sure look purdy!

Doing a Butt this morning. Running the BGI at 200 with cherry pellets. Fired up the smoke box for the first time to get more smoke on the meat. The smoker box holds about 2 lbs of pellets. I lit it with a torch and it threw out a ton of smoke. Let it run for a few hours then pulled it out and bumped temps to 250. Looking good so far.

Came out great. I struggled a bit to get the smoking box fire to die back. I think it was because I used the torch longer than the minute they direct you to do. Once I smothered the fire there was plenty of smoke. Only left it in the smoker for a couple of hours because I did not want too much smoke. Overall it was pretty easy to use and I think I will use it for my low and slow cooks going forward.

It is all stainless steel very solid and well made. Should last a very long time.
          Last edited by Old Glory; June 12, 2021, 05:34 AM.

Comment

I have really enjoyed this thread. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! Hope it helps folks looking at Pellet Grills.

I'm extremely impressed with the Blazin Gridiron. What are the clearance measurements between the additional grate racks? Do you mind telling me how much the shipping cost was?

Thanks!

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            jpietrantone I use it 90% of the time now. Roast chickens at 350-375, reverse sear steaks, chops, roasts, etc. Highly recommend it for mild smoke.

• glitchy
            glitchy commented
            Editing a comment
            jpietrantone You might check CL or FB Marketplace for a used pellet grill to try first before shelling out for a higher end pit. It used to be you could pick up used pellet grills pretty cheap, not quite as easy last 18 months but still worth a look. Then if you like it, you can probably sell it next Spring for about what you paid. If you buy a nice rig new and don’t like, you’re going to lose hundreds reselling it. The differences in results are pretty minor between various pellet grills.

• jpietrantone
            jpietrantone commented
            Editing a comment
            glitchy very true! I've been looking on FB marketplace but most everything is not taken care of at all around here. But I will definitely keep looking.

Enjoying your enthusiasm, You are now a pellet head. Here's a tip, if ya want a little extra smoke flavor. Put your meat on when it is cold, do not pre heat The pellet grill. Looking at the picture's you may be getting your max amount of smoke

Comment

• Old Glory
            Old Glory commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I Definitely have become a pellet head. So easy to control temps just enough smoke for our daily cooks. Perfect for steaks and roasting chickens. Adding the smoke box for ribs and butts is perfect for amping up the low and slow BBQ flavor.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here