Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grid Iron Has Arrived

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Panhead John
    commented on 's reply
    Great job, like those sear marks! Also really good job on this write up 👍

• bardsleyque
    replied
    Nice looking cooker, and great looking cook!

Leave a comment:

• Redwng
    replied
    Great looking cooker, been looking at it myself. Looking forward to seeing your cooks and your opinion how the Grid Iron does.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    First cook was successful. Pork Chops. Reverse seared at 240 degrees for about 30 minutes until they hit an internal temp of 130. The ambient probe of the Fireboard read 10 degrees hotter but after about 15 minutes it leveled off and stayed +/- 4 degrees from 240 for the rest of the cook.

I used the half rack in the middle slot to put the chops in the center of the grill from top to bottom. The Grill Grates rested on the lower rack so they would heat up as the pork chops cooked. Once the meat reached the right internal temp I pulled them from the grill and bumped the controller to 450. Took about 12 minutes to get there. I removed the trap door in the diffuser plate to directly expose the Grill Grates to the fire pot. They hit a 645 searing temp. Seared them for 2 minutes with the lid closed then flipped. Did this 2x. Color looked great but not the full sear I can usually get over charcoal (no surprise). Overall the sear kit did a great job putting some color on the chops, smoke was much less than charcoal and chunks but I was very happy with the cook.

Pre-heating

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1209.jpeg
Views:	551
Size:	159.3 KB
ID:	1014242

Pork Chops on the Middle Rack:

Name:	IMG_1214.jpeg
Views:	583
Size:	206.4 KB
ID:	1014241

After removing the Trap Door exposing the fire pot:

Name:	IMG_1215.jpeg
Views:	549
Size:	232.4 KB
ID:	1014249

Grill Grates heating up:

Name:	IMG_1216.jpeg
Views:	537
Size:	196.3 KB
ID:	1014246

Name:	IMG_1218.jpeg
Views:	549
Size:	100.9 KB
ID:	1014248

Showing some color:

Name:	IMG_1221.jpeg
Views:	540
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	1014245

Name:	IMG_1222.jpeg
Views:	537
Size:	318.8 KB
ID:	1014247

On the plate:

Name:	IMG_1223.jpeg
Views:	539
Size:	218.4 KB
ID:	1014243

Mushrooms:

Name:	IMG_1213.jpeg
Views:	543
Size:	234.4 KB
ID:	1014244

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    replied
    Congrats! Looks great.

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    replied
    That really is a great looking cooker! I’d gladly miss an episode of DWTS to eat something off that thing.

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    Congrats on the new toy.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    commented on 's reply
    Ha Ha, the WSCG will be getting some rest for sure!

• FireMan
    replied
    Fabulous lookin cooker! And if’s ya got in any type of trouble we will attest that you read the instructions before takin it out of thee box, yessir. 👍

Leave a comment:

• Skip
    replied
    Looks Great Old Glory ! Be sure to post some cooks!

Leave a comment:

• ofelles
    replied
    Congrats. Looking forward to the results tonight.

Leave a comment:

• glitchy
    replied
    She's a looker Hope you love it! I already feel sorry for your WSCG.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    Beautiful! Congrats!

Leave a comment:

• Steve B
    replied
    Congrats on your new rig. Sure does look purdy.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    started a topic Grid Iron Has Arrived

Grid Iron Has Arrived

Very exciting day yesterday. What's better than New Grill Day? (Besides watching Dancing With the Stars with Panhead John ). The big truck arrived around 1:30 to drop off 300 pounds of powder coated steel. The driver had me help him push the Grill up the short slope of my driveway and dropped it right outside my garage door.

It was packed very well. I noticed a small tear in the cardboard so I opened the area up to see if there was any damage. It was all good.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1187.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.61 MB ID:	1014050
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1188 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.20 MB ID:	1014044

Assembly instructions. Assembly was pretty straight forward just bolt on the legs and tip it upright. Once I got all the holes lined up and bolts tightened it was a bear to lift by myself but I got it done without breaking the grill or my back.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1189 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	1014042

All Set up:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1203 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.84 MB ID:	1014049

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1197 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.02 MB ID:	1014047

The goodies - Grill Grates for searing, two extra cooking shelves, and the smoke box. The expanded metal is very heavy duty and very well finished. No rough edges like some of my other grills.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1196 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	4.05 MB ID:	1014051

Loader him up with pellets and did the 30 minute burn in at 350. Was very windy and cold but he came up to temp in about 15 minutes.

Misc pics

Inside the Hopper:
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1198 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	2.94 MB ID:	1014048

The Deflector with the trap door for searing and with the trap door removed. Very thick heavy steel.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1202 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.01 MB ID:	1014043

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1200 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.58 MB ID:	1014045

The controller:

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1206 (1).jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.51 MB ID:	1014046

First impressions are very favorable. A ton of mass and heavy metal. The lid is solid and the insulation helped keep temps steady yesterday in the cold and wind. The fan ran very quietly. It was hard to tell how much smoke was being produced because the wind just whisked it away.

Will be reverse searing pork chops tonight. I will take pics and report back.
    Last edited by Old Glory; April 6, 2021, 10:31 AM.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here