Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wood Chunk Storage Recommendations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wood Chunk Storage Recommendations

This may be the wrong channel, if so sorry Huskee , but I remember a post where everyone displayed their wood chunk storage bins. I am still using a large Tupperware type bin with the individual bags for each wood type. I generally run red oak, post oak, mesquite, apple, pecan and cherry, so I need at least a 6 compartment bin. I know you guys have a lot of clever ways to store chunks, let me see some of them so I can get better organized. Tired of digging through my bags of wood chunks. Thanks !!

You're thinking of this I believe: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...r-fuel-storage

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nope, that's for storing splits. I mean chunks in storage bins. I think it may have been you or Spinaker that had some sort of bin sorting system. Looking for one bin with six dividers.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Troutman Gotcha, I though you meant the thread about the subject.

Don't stick it in a plastic tote and store it under your deck or you're going to have some musty smelling wood at least in these parts.

Comment

• Santamarina
      Santamarina commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m in a relatively dry part of Southern California and I wouldn’t close it off either. Gotta let the wood breathe!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Oh I agree, looking for an open bin with 6 compartments. Found one on line but only had 4.

Here's what I use. My wife upgraded to this one from a slightly larger one we had prior. They are flexible but sturdy fabric bins. She also consolidated my supply to use those empty cubbies for books and one of our CI dutch ovens as you see, so some drawers have a couple kinds of chunks in them. Otherwise, many more of my overflow chunks are just in cardboard boxes or a Rubbermaid type tote, but it doesn't have dividers.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG6442~2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.33 MB ID:	988642

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a pretty good idea. Maybe I'll just build one out of wood. Or better yet just build the frame with compartments and turn it up so I can just reach in and refill. Thanks for the idea.

A couple of years ago I got wood borers in some of my wood chunk collection, stored in the garage in our relatively dry, coolish climate. Consequently I switched from an open storage box to a closed Rubbermaid container. Not sure if that's going to keep the little buggers out of the wood stockpile, but so far so good.

I like the idea of separate storage bins, but it'd have to be a closed setup for me.

Kathryn

Comment

I store my wood chunks in old popcorn tins in my garage. The back door into my garage is 15 ft. from my cooking center. I have punched holes in the bottoms, sides and tops for air flow.

Comment

I have mine in the box they shipped in stored in doors under a side table that has a tablecloth over it. Not optimal but better than outdoors in the shed that for most of the year is 100 degrees, 100% humidity, or just bloody freezing.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	B38BF010-B93B-4FDB-89A0-26D9411F43C5.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	112.4 KB
ID:	1007787 Since I cook with charcoal and don't need large chunks, I put mine in coffee cans and such.
          Last edited by HawkerXP; March 23, 2021, 02:58 PM.

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            I get my wood from friends and neighbors. Ok, stop. I'm not a peeping Tom.

Not a caught one anyway.

When they trim or cut trees down I'll weasel some logs, split and dry in my work garage and when dry cut into chunks.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            HawkerXP That's your story and you're sticking to it right!?!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here