Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stick burner in the shop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stick burner in the shop

Hey all. I have a 30x40' steel building with like 12' walls.
    I've decided to build me a man cave inside on one of the walls.
    I want to use my offset smoker in there.
    Now my question.
    I'm looking for ideas on limiting the amount of smoke in the building so I can breath. LOL 😂
    Any ideas?
    I know I can't extend the chimney because it would change the airflow of the pit.

There is a "pants leg" vent that I've seen used on an Old Hickory smoker on a trailer. It doesn't draw from the smoker and cause the airflow to change, it just collects the smoke coming from the exhaust.

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm curious about this pant leg vent. I'll have to look it up. Thanks

commercial stove vent?

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been looking and trying to make up my mind. Thanks

Can you extend a lean-to style roof off the building and put the smoker there, out of weather, under shelter, right outside the door, but outside of the building proper?

Comment

• Joetee
      Joetee commented
      Editing a comment
      I've been contemplating this as well. I really would like to keep it out of the wind especially when it's 28° at night and or snowing. Someplace warm. Lol

Is there not a way you could just roll it outside when you want to use it, and then store it in the building the rest of the time?

Comment

Originally posted by Joetee View Post
      Hey all. I have a 30x40' steel building with like 12' walls.
      I've decided to build me a man cave inside on one of the walls.
      I want to use my offset smoker in there.
      Now my question.
      I'm looking for ideas on limiting the amount of smoke in the building so I can breath. LOL 😂
      Any ideas?
      I know I can't extend the chimney because it would change the airflow of the pit.
      Oh HELL NO. Not unless you'd like to gracefully die of CO poisoning.
      Last edited by rickgregory; January 7, 2021, 04:14 PM.

Comment

• Joetee
        Joetee commented
        Editing a comment
        This is why I'm looking to vent it out doors. The building isn't air tight. In fact air can get out at the ridge and soffet areas. Just not fast enough for the smoke unless I leave a door open. I do a lot of cold winter cooks. Try to every week end.

• rickgregory
        rickgregory commented
        Editing a comment
        Not worth the risk unless you really can vent it incredibly well. Cold for a bit is annoying. Dead = cold forever.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm pretty sure you meant CO poisoning and I was thinking the exact same thing.

As lazy as I am I'd probably just drag it toward the open door during cooks and mount a fan on the wall to blow the smoke toward outside. Then if that didn't work I'd be forced to do what you're doing and look into doing it right by venting it.

Comment

• Joetee
        Joetee commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd really like to put it out on my deck outside my back door and then put a roof over it. But my deck is a little old and I don't think it would hold it. I could restore some of the deck, which is what I'll probably end up doing. But this doesn't solve my winter cold months of smoking long cooks.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Joetee I suppose rigging up a dryer vent to a window might work at least in theory.

Call Chris at LSG and see if he has any recommendations.

Comment

• Joetee
        Joetee commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes I've spoke with them via email. He said I could probably use a larger pipe that isn't attached to the chimney. That might work can't connect to the chimney out else it would change the airflow.
        I kind of figured that someone here has had the same idea as me with a simple solution.
        Last edited by Joetee; January 7, 2021, 11:59 AM.

I've often dreamt of the same for my shop. If a safe solution exists, I'd be interested as well!

Comment

Use a large hood that extends over the smoker and put the stack near the other stack/outside vent.
        When you open the doors it will flood the place out with smoke, so hood needs to be a lot larger than the pit. Maybe try to find an old restaurant hood on craigslist.

Comment

• Joetee
          Joetee commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be a great way. Thank you

• willxfmr
          willxfmr commented
          Editing a comment
          I would never do this because *insert legal disclaimer here*, but if I was going to try it, this is what I would do. The key factor is going be having enough fresh air coming in to replace what is being exhausted. I would also add a CO detector close by just to be on the alive side.

I really don't see a safe way to do smoke from a stick burner while inside without some serious ventilation going on...

The other thing I wanted to add is that when you're doing those cold season smokes you'll have in your immediate proximity a giant hunk of metal at 225 degrees plus a firebox with a fire in it; you might find that a wind block and a roof (gotta stay dry 😎) is all you need to stay comfortable while having sufficient ventilation.

Comment

• Joetee
          Joetee commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm thinking about doing just that. Maybe a lean to. Thanks

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Great point. A stick burner ends up doing double duty as a wood stove on those cold days. Just have to stay out of the wind and you're golden.

A nice welding exhaust fan above the stack

Comment

• Joetee
          Joetee commented
          Editing a comment
          I thought about an exhaust fan but that would probably such all heat out of the building. So I'm thinking large gravity hood above would probably do the trick.
          I little bit of smoke wouldn't be too bad giving the size of my shop. 30x40x12 ft walls.

• rickgregory
          rickgregory commented
          Editing a comment
          "I little bit of smoke wouldn't be too bad giving the size of my shop. 30x40x12 ft walls."

I'd rather not hear about you dying but you seem to want to risk it - for a smoker. CO is invisible.

Please do not do this without proper, fan powered ventilation!!!!! If you do use proper ventilation, you’ll draw in cold outside air and won’t be warm anyways. Just do it outside in a covered area. Running a stick burner indoors has an excellent chance of killing you.

Comment

• Joetee
          Joetee commented
          Editing a comment
          Yes I know. I pulled it outside the shop last night. Smoking two butts.
          It does put out way to much smoke for even that shop size.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here