Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heat shield to protect wooden fence?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat shield to protect wooden fence?

I'm going to install a 4 X 6' sheet of stainless steel behind this grill to stop the heat from reaching the fence. I'm thinking of a 4" standoff to create an airspace between the steel and the fence but I'm not sure if I should also back the SS with cement board. What do you think?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200926_181158_2.jpg
Views:	1419
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	933136

I've got maybe 3" between the back of my Weber S670 and the deck railing and it seems to be fine. However, it does not extend above the grill, top rail is 4-5 inches above the grate level.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      If I'm cooking something fatty like pork chops or flanken cut beef short ribs I get flames shooting out the back of the grill. As you can see the wood starts below the grill and extends way up unlike your top rail situation. I think the fence will continue to dry out as time goes on so I don't think not installing a heat shield is an option for me. Plus, the stainless steel was delivered yesterday.

• Dan Deter
      Dan Deter commented
      Editing a comment
      Definitely go with the cement board, then.

CaptainMike ?

Comment

Well, based on install instructions and warranty which calls for 16" of clearance from combustibles, I would go with the cement backing to maximize the protection of your wood.

Comment

While waiting on the Cap to chime in, my $.02 is to use the cement board. SS is a pretty good heat conductor, so I would be overkill safe.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Yup.

Sounds like you guys are telling me what I already know (I'm also wondering if I already asked this question). In fact, maybe I'll mount cement board to the fence with a 3/4 standoff, do a 4" standoff, and then the cement board and steel.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Good Plan.

If I'm reading this correctly, occasional direct flame impingement and conducted heat are your primary concerns. The cement board/SS solution should be fine. Providing 1" airspace between sheets is usually adequate and is the common way to build noncombustible walls around wood stoves. My question concerns radiant heat. Does that back wall get very hot to the touch while you're grilling? The shielding you're proposing should eliminate that, but be sure it does. Also, be very aware of fasteners and penetrations and seal them appropriately.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, @CaptainMike I'm going to follow it. The fence gets warm but not so hot that I can't leave my hand on it unless the scenario I described above is occurring and flames are almost licking the fence.

I think I may install another horizontal board above the existing one and attach one sheet of cement board to that. That would create 3/4" of airspace although there would be those 2 wooden horizontals in contact with that cement board. Then perhaps some sort of metal brackets and another layer of cement board. I was thinking of just sandwiching that second sheet of cement board with the steel unless you think having another inch of air between the second sheet of cement board and metal is needed.

How would you recommend sealing the fasteners?

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Sandwiching your second layer should be fine. Try to avoid putting your spacers and fasteners in proximity of your problem area and get some fire-rated caulk from a place like Home Depot. It is a common product that is used for penetrations like plumbing and electrical through fire rated walls.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, Mike!

I have put a wooden fence on my patio. In my opinion, it is the best material for a fence and gate for a patio. I have a lot of flowers and trees, so it is the best material in my opinion. Most of all, I was struggling between choosing dark wood or light wood. At the final, I have chosen dark wood because there are many shadows during the day, and in my opinion, dark wood looks better. But in your case, I would choose light wood, because your patio is spacious and other decorations also have light colors.
          Last edited by karenberys; August 20, 2021, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• RonB
            RonB commented
            Editing a comment
            If you are for real, I apologize in advance, but we get a lot of spammers trying to sneak in by posting on old threads. So, if you are truly interested in what this site has to offer because you like to grill and/or BBQ, welcome and tell us what you are cooking on and what you like to cook.

You can also consider sheetrock it won't burn.

Comment

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            Multiple layers of sheet rock is what they put inside safes to achieve a fire rating of 1200+ degrees for 40-60 or even 120 minutes.

I think two spaced layers of cement board and a steel panel is more than overkill enough, myself.

Line the wall with (empty) PBR cans? 😆

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            That might just work.

In the end I just screws 2x4s onto the fence and installed a big sheet if stainless steel onto those. I feel like it's working great. Next time I know I'm running super hot, on a hot day, I'll tape my MK4 onto a stick and take some readings.

Next up is addressing the fact that it gets too hot particularly on the left where my sear burner is. I plan to remove the burners, replace that small section of redwood counter with cement counter, and replace the gas burners with an induction cooktop. That little section will be my first attempt at pouring cement counters. If it comes out well, I'll be pouring more in the outdoor kitchen and beyond.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I'll be watchin, ever curious...

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here