Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building an outdoor kitchen from scratch -- PLEASE HELP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sandman I've had as many as 6 cookers in my backyard, and right now have 4 - an offset, a Weber Performer Deluxe (22" kettle), a 4 burner Weber Genesis II gas grill, and a 6 burner Camp Chef flat top. If I could only have two cookers, and were designing an outdoor kitchen, right now I think I would go for a built-in flat top, and build a kettle or kamodo into the other end of my outdoor setup. Probably the kettle, due to the huge number of accessories. I smoke/grill/bake/fry/rotisserie on my kettle. On the flat top, I griddle/stir-fry/do smashburgers/tacos/fajitas/tepinaki/etc. Since getting the griddle, my gas grill has not been used nearly as much, and the cooking is split between the charcoal kettle and the flat top.

I know your wife and designer are insisting on a built in grill, but maybe you can talk them into a built in flat top. To me, the flat top is just so much more convenient for many types of cooking that you COULD do indoors, but doing it outdoors leads to less mess, and much less cleanup. I find myself cooking on the griddle more than any of the other cookers right now, and doing most of my smoking on the kettle.

Comment

• Sandman
      Sandman commented
      Editing a comment
      I've seen the rotisserie insert for a kettle, but how do you fry on it? Which accessories you recommend?

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Sandman I fry by using either a griddle, like the snsgrills.com Drip 'N Griddle, which I more saute in (stuff like veggies or shrimp scampi), or by using my Lodge skillet or dutch oven. I have had great results using the SNS with a chimney of lit coals in it, and getting temp control for deep frying by moving the dutch oven either more or less over the charcoal. Starts getting hot, slide it farther out into the grate...

I had better luck deep frying like that on my charcoal than on my gasser

• JoseGator
      JoseGator commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on the built in griddle. I love my gasser but if I had to choose one I would keep the griddle

Another vote for the WSCG. I have the "grilling center" version and love it. It can easily grill, smoke, bake, & roast with the best of them. It’s quite versatile and forgiving if one overshoots the temp. (Ask me how I know. LOL)

Comment

Might try www.bbqguys.com for ideas.

Comment

I don't really have anything to add - I am a kettle/wsm/griddle man, going to add a Grilla Chimp cause I need portability. So why am I chiming in? Cause of this:

Is there an undercounter smoker that works? The Kalamazoo looks great but $12K is something I’d have to buy without telling my wife. Ever. (Which doesn’t itself disqualify the option…)
        That statement makes you my hero.
        Last edited by klflowers; November 4, 2020, 12:01 PM. Reason: Changed goig to going

Comment

If you've got bags of money checkout this griddle:
          Barbecue Rubs, Grilling Sauces, Grills, Offset Smokers, Kamado Grills, & Outdoor Furniture. The BBQ shop for everything you need for BBQ & Outdoor Living.

Comment

But it ships for free!! 🤣😂

Comment

I have no hands on knowledge with these, but I always though that if I were doing an outdoor kitchen a Good One Heritage would likely find its way into the plans.

Comment

For all of you recommending a griddle: how hot does the cooking surface get? Is there a brand or product you recommend that works with natural gas (that's what we're fueling the built-ins with)?

Comment

Originally posted by Sandman View Post
                  For all of you recommending a griddle: how hot does the cooking surface get? Is there a brand or product you recommend that works with natural gas (that's what we're fueling the built-ins with)?
                  My 6 burner Camp Chef FTG900 gets a lot hotter than I need it to. I run it between medium and low, to get temps in the 350-400 range. It will get way hotter than that, but you really want to stay in the 350-400 range for most griddle cooking.

You might think that you need a lot higher heat for searing, but to be honest, I get the best smash burgers I've ever made using the griddle at those temps. I've also done steaks and pork chops on it, and get a great crust. And of I really want to do reverse seared with a 1000F sear on my steak, I just fire up the kettle with some charcoal.

I usually setup my griddle with 3 zones - turn 2 burners up to medium, 2 on low, and 2 off. This gives me a gradient from around 400F on one side down to about 300F on the other.

Comment

bbqguys.com has some built in NG griddles:

Find the perfect outdoor flat top grill or griddle to bring new options to your grilling game. Cook a sizzling steak, eggs, pancakes & more on the same surface!

Those have 2 H or U shaped burners, to get coverage of the cooktop, and are decent sized. I like the 30" Blaze or the Turbo Grills model. The rest are way too expensive in my opinion.

The other option is to take a Camp Chef or Blackstone griddle, and build it in. I've seen that done. It just requires not using the legs, and some creativity to ensure you have the ventilation needed for air to reach the burners.

You just need to present this option to your wife and get it blessed. I'll be honest - of all the grills I have, I think my wife would be most likely to use the flat top. Hint: you can also set pots and pans on it, like on a stove top.

Comment

This Youtube video shows how someone built a Camp Chef FTG600 flat top grill into an outdoor kitchen, and might give you some ideas. I also like the FTG600, as you can pull the griddle top off, and install grill grates, and use it as a conventional grill (just with no lid).

I don't think I would do the drilling and rerouting of the gas line - I would just bring it down from the normal spot, using the natural gas hose that Camp Chef sells, to adapt it to your quick connect hookup underneath the outdoor kitchen.

At $300-400, the FTG600 is a lot of griddle/grill for the money. I have the FTG900, and like the stainless construction of the body. All of the Camp Chef cookers can be converted from propane to natural gas.

The down side for you might be that the cooking surface is cold rolled steel, and not stainless like those pricier ones from bbqguys.com. That means it has to be treated like cast iron - seasoned and so on. Mine is living outside in the rain, with a cover on it, and seems to be doing ok.
                      Last edited by jfmorris; November 5, 2020, 02:46 PM.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here