Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor Space Heater

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor Space Heater

Plans in progress to relocate my outdoor cook zone for more space (and more toys) and I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Big Timber pellet fired space heater:

https://woodpelletproducts.com/produ...-patio-heater/

If you're buying pellets anyway....

Comment

But this would use wood stove pellets, right? Cooking pellets are way more expensive aren't they? Don't really know about that. But if I read the specs right on the web page, these burn about 10 pounds of pellets per hour!

Comment

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes - stove pellets.

No experience with that but it’s really neat.
      How is it lit, seeing as it doesn’t use electricity?

Comment

I have the little timber and I L-O-V-E it.

radiates great heat quite a long way (as long as it's not stupid windy).

Comment

• Jfrosty27
          Jfrosty27 commented
          Editing a comment
          How is it on fuel consumption? What to the pellets cost?

I have a tractor supply around the corner and they're about 4 bucks for a 40lb bag...

At full blast it does go through a hopper load in about 2-3 hours (I have the little guy though...so small hopper).

Comment

• cgrover60
          cgrover60 commented
          Editing a comment
          What method(s) do you use to light it xaugievike?

• xaugievike
          xaugievike commented
          Editing a comment
          it came with a gel that works really well...just a squirt and it fires right up. I have just held a torch to it for a second and that worked too. Very easy to light.

Neat, never seen that up here.
        Propane's king for outside heaters but I would seriously look at that for our backyard.
        Like the fact it heats throughout the whole unit top to bottom unlike propane which cooks your head while your toes fall off.
        The only drawback I see, and it rarely happens, is in really cold years there have been severe shortages of pellets in some areas.

Comment

Oh snap. Didn’t expect to see that price tag.
          But I do like it.

Comment

That is so cool, but the area I would want to heat is an outdoor pavilion, with wood rafters and metal roofing over head. I will assume all that heat ends up going UP, and it probably needs to be out in the open, and not under a roof. I have an old chimenea (sp?) that we use as a fire pit out in the yard, and I just burn the fireplace logs in it, but we have to move the chairs out to the grass to be around it.

Comment

• cgrover60
              cgrover60 commented
              Editing a comment
              Since it radiates out you could get crazy and extend the the stove pipe through the metal roof perhaps. I wish I had that option since my space is umbrella covered.

The other thing that's cool is the griddle option although it's pricey too.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here