Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finally set up the fire pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Finally set up the fire pit

So we've had a ton of wood stacked since we took down a bunch of trees a year and a half or so ago. And we have been meaning to set up a fire pit since long before that. Finally got it done, some site prep work last weekend and most of the work this weekend.

The original site:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20200830_140543.jpg
Views:	299
Size:	226.9 KB
ID:	907760

Ferns and small trees removed and circle laid out:

Name:	20200830_153307.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	223.5 KB
ID:	907761

Edges dug (and exhausted end of first weekend):

Name:	20200830_163244.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	210.2 KB
ID:	907762

Metal edging and gravel going in:

Name:	20200905_124844.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	178.1 KB
ID:	907763

Inaugural fire:

Name:	20200905_193204.jpg
Views:	321
Size:	73.9 KB
ID:	907764

We still need to add one more load of gravel to get the depth we want, and another layer of stone to the fire ring, and then glue the stones with high temp fireplace caulk so they don't get knocked off too easily. And mulch the path to the ring. But its mostly done.

What a great project in a nice setting. Enjoy!

Comment

Awesome McPossum. In total Envy...

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        A left-handed genius!

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Yup, Brother Hank; a nice, rare, obscure live peek at some James Marshall....
        Sadly, they don't make em like that, any more

Just in time for fall!

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        Just in time for the boy's 21st birthday

Nicely done. I don't envy you having to move/spread all of that crushed stone.

Comment

• Dan Deter
        Dan Deter commented
        Editing a comment
        4 loads on the pickup (3 3/4 yard loads and 1 1/2 yard load), luckily we had 3 wheelbarrows and it was downhill most of the way to the fire pit from the driveway. We had a pretty good cycle going.

• Dewesq55
        Dewesq55 commented
        Editing a comment
        Dan Deter - We had 3 yards to move from the front of the house to the back and only 1 wheelbarrow. Barbara was shoveling the stone into the wheelbarrow then I was moving it, dumping it and spreading it. It was very demanding on both of us.

Nice and perfect timing.

Comment

Way cool! Nice work!

Comment

Added lights for the path through the woods (wife and son did most of the work, I was in the kitchen cooking dinner...). Hopefully mulching the path this weekend after adding the last of the gravel to the seating area.
          Attached Files

Comment

Cool. Very cool. Nice job Sir.

Comment

Very nice. Thank you for sharing!

Comment

Where are you located, rather the Pit located, I will bring the BEER.
                Looks great. Friend Magnet for sure.

Comment

Wow! Gorgeous.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

What nice work & a great setting. Hope there’s room fer most of us & ya have lots of marshmallows.

Comment

I'd still be worried about embers on the breeze - am I wrong? Did I spend too much time in Ca.? Cuz what you have - I want one. But my backyard backs up to old growth.

Comment

• Dan Deter
                          Dan Deter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Not particularly a worry, although there is always a 5 gallon bucket of water out there when a fire is going. The forest in our back yard actually doesn't have that much undergrowth. Then, the fire ring itself is 4' across, and the seating area stones go another 10' outside of the fire ring. Generally any sparks have cooled enough by the time they have gone far enough to cause any trouble not to worry about it. Growing up we generally just had a ring of stones and that was enough.

• Dan Deter
                          Dan Deter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Also, not much of a breeze there, its actually in a low spot just the other side of a creek that runs between ridges. There's actually a 13" drop between the back side and the front side of the circle (20' distance).

• JGo37
                          JGo37 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Growing up, when I was 8 my spider bike and I were generally 15 miles away in a cornfield somewhere, or sitting in the cockpit of a cropduster's biplane. In other words, growing up, we all would have had our parents arrested today, and been assigned to social workers. ROFL

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here