Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flies!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flies!!!

My outdoor kitchen is being over run by flies and gnats. Anyone have any silver bullet suggestions out there? Things I have that don't help, but can't go away : Yoder stick burner with grease bucket, Blackstone with grease bucket, BGE with ash bucket, a sink (clean), and patio carpet to keep grease off my deck. Have various fly catchers, but they really stink! Also have a fly zapper as well, not great results. Thoughts?

There is that salt shooting gun. Not sure if it will solve your problem but it looks like fun!

Comment

• Fire Chicken
      Fire Chicken commented
      Editing a comment
      They are fun. Looks like it snowed when I'm done. Lol

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Have many times seriously considered th Bug A Salt....right up my alley lol

But, I'm kinda surprised ain't Nobody mentioned good ol Starter Fluid, an a Zippo

(Seriously, don't be as much as a Dumbarse as I am, an pursue this )

Only meant as levity...

But, yeah. I Do.

• Wedunne
      Wedunne commented
      Editing a comment
      "You have to keep the Bug-A-Salt clean, or the firing pattern gets too wide. When that happens you have to get within a couple inches of the fly. Soak it in warm water, then let it dry."

So, how long do you have to soak that fly in the warm water? Do you towel it off, or just let it air dry?

Flies seem to come out of nowhere when I start smoking. They don't seem too bad while grilling or on the griddle, but they are a real pain while smoking. I have found myself becoming pretty good in using my zapper. The other day, I had to get my smaller leaf blower out to blow away all the dead ones on my patio

Comment

Those baited fly traps are the most effective, but they stink to high Heaven! The smell is about as bad as having flies. For whatever reason, this seems to be a banner year for flies. Thanks again, 2020.

Comment

• PaynTrain
        PaynTrain commented
        Editing a comment
        Steve R. No doubt! I had about 3" of flies in one, but the stink is too much!!

Thought this was going to be about flies.......for fly fishing.

you may carry on

Comment

If it is extremely dry and you have an outdoor sink cover the drain hole just to be sure they aren't using the trap for water.

Comment

We hang strips of this around. It is wider than those little fly sticky traps you normally see. https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...l?cm_vc=-10005
          It doesn't have to hang either as it can wrap around a tree or post.

Comment

Nullifly Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200819_172423.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	93.3 KB
ID:	898852 works awesome!! All my neighbors have horses and their flies hangout on my doors. Spray this on the door, no more flies! Tried everything thing else, but nothing works.

Comment

• PaynTrain
              PaynTrain commented
              Editing a comment
              @ Fire Chicken I will check this out!! Thanks.

Just to make you feel at home, this is from today. It's my thermometer probe in the sink after I pulled the ribs:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200819_172848.jpg
Views:	313
Size:	95.9 KB
ID:	898854

Comment

I have very very little flies. Not sure if the roadrunners are somehow eating them. I do have raccoons. They successfully licked my grease mat totally clean. Them dudes went to town!

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Raccoons are clever, very intrepid, an very dextrous at gittin all up into all kinda places...

Fortunately, fer me, at least, they's some good eatin...

Flies aren’t much of an issue in the Pacific Northwest.

Comment

Hang up a small picture of Miley Cyrus on the other side of the yard. The flies will mass around the photo, leaving your outdoor kitchen pest free.

Comment

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So there is a good use for her after all.

• Panhead John
                  Panhead John commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I really wish y’all would stop making fun of her. Justin Bieber and her are my favorite artists! I really like their music. Of course then again .......I like painful rectal itch.
                  Last edited by Panhead John; August 20, 2020, 11:36 AM.

I have to agree. Flies seem worse here this year.

Comment

Here’s a couple of suggestions. Looks like you tried the traps, but I’ve used both of these and fly traps really help cutting down on flies and the tents keep em off your stuff. The fly traps do work! I know they stink if you’re close to them, but you hang them up about 20 feet or so from your work area and you’ll rarely smell anything. That’s important so you don’t smell them. Plus, you want to attract them away from you. After a few days you’ll have tons of dead flies in there and you change it out monthly if I remember right. Think about all the future flies they prevent also! When you change it out, there will be hundreds of those dead little bastards in there. I’ve used the tents and they’re good for placing over your food, trays and utensils. I know you can’t cover everything, but there’s nothing more irritating than to have em on your dish of food or utensils etc. These can help a lot for that. They have different sizes. Also, if you’re able to, plug in an oscillating fan to blow around your area. That works too. Hope this helps PaynTrain
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Panhead John; August 20, 2020, 07:14 AM.

Comment

• Steve R.
                    Steve R. commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's the one I have used and it does a great job, although I'm not sure it doesn't also just attract more flies to the area. The problem I ran into is I needed it to keep flies out of the garage, and the only good place to hang it was upwind. Then there was the disposal of the bag, which ends up being like a tense scene on tv where the bomb squad is trying to disarm a ticking time bomb.

• PaynTrain
                    PaynTrain commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Good looking out Panhead John, I like it.

I have some friends that were having this problem....get the fly traps as far away from where you cook as you can....they attract the flies and stink to hell and back....do this and most of the flies schould be removed...also really clean the drip buckets and grills...plus i cover all mine....may help not sure about that..hang the traps really as far away as possible...

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here