Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor Cooking/Entertaining Area Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking good. I check in on this almost everyday. Drive on!

Comment

​​​​​I finished the frame boxes and got them screwed together (still need more screws, but they're attached to each other.) Tomorrow I'll start on the joists.
      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20200908_143917.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	260.4 KB
ID:	908320

Comment

Looking good. Hope the rain stays away so you can get a few more good days of work in. Any idea of a completion date?

Kathryn

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Kathryn. Any attempt to determine a completion date would be pure speculation at this point. About 25% of the pressure treated decking which I bought and paid for was discovered to be seriously damaged when the vendor was pulling my order for delivery, and so was not delivered. There is currently no ETA on when replacements will be available. That said, I still have plenty more work to do before that becomes a real issue.

You’re doing amazing work. Awesome job

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, Eric. That's very kind.

How in the wide world of sports did I miss this party? Looking good!

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Better late than never hoovarmin ! Thanks for the compliment.

Looking good David! Do you hire out?

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha! Neighbor just asked me the same thing yesterday. I THINK he was kidding. LOL

I love stuff like this. Well done and keep the posts coming.

Comment

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          Posts coming in a deck. Brilliant!

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          tbob4 - I wus wonderin' if anybody would catch that...

So now we're getting somewhere! I had a very productive day today. I got all of the modules securely fastened together, tired the ones in front to the beams with hurricane ties, installed 4 intermediate posts along the front edge of the patio for additional support, installed all of the joist hangers and set the first five 12' joists in place.
        ​​​​​

Name:	IMG_20200909_185034-02.jpeg
Views:	301
Size:	166.6 KB
ID:	908682

Comment

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          I would have installed more joists but the rest of the 12 for boards came from a different vendor and are about ¾" too long to fit "as is" and need to be trimmed. Also, they won't fit on my miter saw station as it is currently situated so I have to put them on saw horses and trim them each with a circular saw. I just had no more energy for that this evening.

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          Hope the weather is nice and cool up in the Poconos for your project and not like here where it's so hot it's hard to breathe.

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          hoovarmin - The weather has been ok for the most part recently, actually. It's pretty hot in the sun and fairly humid, but not as bad as when I first started and I take lots of breaks. Rain today, however.

So the rain took a respite for a couple of hours this afternoon (although it was still 97% humidity) allowing me to get within s hairs breadth of finishing the basic framing. I really out of 12' boards with 4 joists left to do. This is really getting exciting.

Name:	IMG_20200910_170316-01.jpeg
Views:	285
Size:	222.0 KB
ID:	909178

Comment

• Sweaty Paul
          Sweaty Paul commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow!

• hoovarmin
          hoovarmin commented
          Editing a comment
          You're almost there!

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          You're right, it is getting exciting. It won't be long now before you and Barbara are sitting on that deck, sipping your libations, and watching the blue smoke roll out of your cooker.

Kathryn

I was finally able to get the last few 12 foot boards I needed to finish installing the joists. I also installed blocking on the back section close to the house. We made a last minute decision to do a "picture frame" deck so tomorrow I need to install additional framing elements along the 2 short sides to support the deck boards which will run parallel to the joists around the perimeter to form the picture frame element. I also need to install the hardware which ties each joist to the beams.

Name:	IMG_20200914_145151-02.jpeg
Views:	269
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	911253

I didn't take another photo after I finished installing the blocking.

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Good decision to go with the picture frame.

Comment

Name:	05307F5B-ADC6-4042-8943-F5C080D07BDF.jpeg
Views:	258
Size:	199.5 KB
ID:	911496Click image for larger version

Name:	0E3DC078-C716-4336-ADFE-0EC081C34B7B.jpeg
Views:	259
Size:	189.0 KB
ID:	911493Click image for larger version

Name:	C994E3DF-F00B-4FC6-86B1-16662682344B.jpeg
Views:	262
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	911494Click image for larger version

Name:	D6A98EAB-26C6-4040-B79A-3CA966F39690.jpeg
Views:	263
Size:	97.2 KB
ID:	911495

Not to make things harder on you but we went with the picture frame concept on our deck and really enjoy it.

We also broke it into three sections with the deck boards running perpendicular in one of the sections compared to the other. We really like the looks of it.

Comment

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                That looks really nice. I'm not gonna run any deck boards in a different direction (other than the picture frame) as that would significantly complicate the framing and the framing's already done.

I got more done today. Here's a pic of everything that's been done so far:

Name:	IMG_20200915_182707.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	225.0 KB
ID:	911669

And here's a closer look at the extra framing for the picture frame support:

Name:	IMG_20200915_182720.jpg
Views:	236
Size:	133.8 KB
ID:	911670

Comment

• hoovarmin
                hoovarmin commented
                Editing a comment
                Oh yeah! It's coming together nicely.

Looking good!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here