Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can I store seasoned wood in my garage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can I store seasoned wood in my garage?

Still considering whether to buy a KBQ or LSG (that's on another thread), but now I have a wood storage question. I really don't have anywhere outside to put a lot of wood. If the wood I buy is already seasoned, can I put it in my garage? I have a lot of shelving in the back of the garage if that makes a difference. Thanks!

I store some wood in the garage but only in one of these metal buckets https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/pr...lity-trash-can because even seasoned woods can contain little critters like powder beetles and the like.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for the info and link. Much appreciated.

Originally posted by Smoking77 View Post
    Still considering whether to buy a KBQ or LSG (that's on another thread), but now I have a wood storage question. I really don't have anywhere outside to put a lot of wood. If the wood I buy is already seasoned, can I put it in my garage? I have a lot of shelving in the back of the garage if that makes a difference. Thanks!
    Here in Alabama where its hot and humid that wood stack would be full of wood roaches within a few months. These are the kind that live outside and in the woods. Talking about 3+ inches long....some 4".......think on that one. I would put my stack outside somewhere away from my home.

Comment

• Smoking77
      Smoking77 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, it doesn't get very humid here, so that's a good thing. And I'm going to respectfully pass on imagining an infestation of 4" bugs. Don't think I want the nightmares

Smoking77 , I think in your situation, I would stick to kiln dried wood. You should be fine with that.

Comment

Insects can be a problem, especially if there's any bark or soft spots. (We have wood roaches in Iowa, but small ones, not the horrific kind. And they detest being indoors, which is fine with me.)

Another issue is mice, ground squirrels, and chipmunks -- they love to hide an nest in firewood piles, so wherever you have firewood, you'll have rodents hanging out too. Stacked lumber, not so much -- fewer nooks and crannies. If you're in the city the chippies and squirrels might not be a problem, but mice surely can be. If your garage is attached to your house, then you'll encourage mice to the house.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for all the info IowaGirl. Luckily, our garage is not attached to our house.

• ComfortablyNumb
        ComfortablyNumb commented
        Editing a comment
        In LA the vermin have two legs and can't fit in a woodpile. The biggest problem with leaving things outside in LA is they tend to grow legs and walk away.

If it's any consolation I keep several varieties of wood chunks in my house, the livable part, in a fabric shelf thingy. The ones that get dust from the tiny beetles seem to only be grape and orange for some reason. But yes, I'd say keep it in your garage it should be of little consequence....but, I don't have roaches or palmettos where I live, not sure if that makes a difference being in L.A.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks Huskee for the info. I'm quickly running out of reasons not to buy a KBQ or offset.

I live in LA and I store wood in my garage. I store splits in a cardboard box and have been doing so for 5 years. Never an issue. Even bought at one time an outdoor plastic storage bin and put my wood in there. Black widows was the only thing I had to keep an eye out for. Don't worry.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks for the info!

In SoCal, I'd actually be more concerned with the wood attracting termites if it's stored outside.

Comment

• Smoking77
        Smoking77 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, termites are definitely a problem. We had our house tented a few years ago. I have no doubt we'll have to do it again.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here