Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor kitchen - built in or moveable?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor kitchen - built in or moveable?

Just starting plans for my first outdoor kitchen. Would love to hear thoughts about permanent installation or leave the cooking devices portable. Planning for a wood fired pizza oven, Weber 22" Performer and Weber 18" WSM. I'm thinking fixed for the pizza oven and leaving the other two as is. Thanks for your thoughts!

A permanent Pizza Oven is cool but an option would be a XL Kamado that's somewhat built in. I agree to keep your other cookers portable.Be sure to show us your completed kitchen. Have fun with it!

Comment

Following...

Comment

Sounds like a plan to me.

Comment

My outdoor kitchen is on our 2nd-story deck, a mile from the ocean in So Cal. Propane grill with side burner, propane smoker, glass top bar with two shelves underneath that serves as prep station as well as buffet for larger parties (pre-Covid). The splurge was my sink - it’s cold water only and a graywater drain, but just being able to wash my hands without running inside the house, let alone wash veggies to prep - it raised my game. Nothing’s permanently mounted but the sink - gives more freedom to replace equipment when that’s needed, or re-arrange if I get a wild hair.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Black99vette
          Black99vette commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice setup

• Dewesq55
          Dewesq55 commented
          Editing a comment
          Plus 1 on the sink. Having running water in/near your outdoor cooking area is a major upgrade.I have hot and cold water. It's in the backyard, right in the grass/dirt. No fancy patio or deck here. Also, my sink is a double bowl which is much less practical for this purpose than the big single bowl you have, but I got it, with the faucet, for $10 at a yard sale so I couldn't pass it up. I just built a basic stand alone base out of pressure treated 2x4's and a piece of ½" PT plywood.
          Last edited by Dewesq55; July 19, 2020, 09:54 AM.

• Roonmeister
          Roonmeister commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree with the good points about having a sink. Thanks!

I have a drop in gasser but left an open space for the 26 Weber or 18 WSM. I was planning a Lone Star Grillz but they don't make the one I want anymore.

Comment

I think a lot of it has to do with where you live and how you will protect things. I live in Massachusetts and my "outdoor kitchen", does not have roof. So I like to keep my stuff portable so I can wheel it inside when not in use and keep it protected. Plus leaving it out in a NE winter would not be advisable.

Comment

Well, all my stuff is more or less portable...but then so am I. LOL
            Sometimes things get moved around but I’m pretty happy with the layout at present. But adding or changing something could be problematic if everything was built in...

A wood fired pizza oven would be cool...but for now I do them in my Camp Chef "Artisan Oven" on my Somerset IV or in my Summit charcoal.
            Last edited by surfdog; July 19, 2020, 01:11 PM.

Comment

All my stuff is movable. But let’s be real here. I’m NOT moving any of it. If I sell the house, honestly it would be easier to just buy new stuff than move my old stuff.

so I am going to strongly advocate for built in. You will not regret it.

Also plan for a sink with running water. Doesn’t need hot and cold UNLESS you want to be big pimping. I have a sink outdoors and it is awesome.

Comment

I just put in a pad for my cookers, no roof. Gassers on wheels, BKK static.
                Like SmokeyGator said they ain’t going anywhere.
                They’re covered and in the winter grab a snow shovel, takes 10 mins to dig them out

Comment

Everything in my outdoor kitchen is moveable. But my "kitchen" consists of all 7 of my cookers in the garage stall right out the door to the garage from inside the house. I have two cheap plastic folding tables set up there for prep etc. When I cook, I roll the appropriate cooker to the just outside the overhead door and slide the tables over to where I need them. (See my avatar) If weather is bad, I roll the cooker to just inside the overhead door. The real kitchen is just a few steps through the door into the house. Works like a charm and only cost me about $50 for the folding tables. 🤷‍♂️

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here