Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor stainless table - a particularly good buy

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor stainless table - a particularly good buy

Been searching for an outdoor table and found this on Costco.com for $90. $130 everywhere else. Just put it together and it's substantial, rugged, and looks very durable. https://www.costco.com/.product.100036154.html
    Attached Files

I like that! Perfect for outside.

Comment

While that's a good lookin' table and at a competitive price I would put an asterisk behind the verbiage "outdoor". Too many are under the impression that because something is "stainless" steel that it's impervious to corrosion. Unfortunately for those folks there are various grades of stainless, not all of which have a high enough chromium content to thwart corrosion entirely. Kudos to Costco for truth in advertising by showing this is made from 430 grade which is good but not great for outdoor use. It will corrode if not given extra care compared to typical products that are intended for outdoor use made from 304 or 316 grade stainless.

Comment

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        Are you tryin' to make me learn sumthin?

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        Only if ya want to big fella...…………………..only if ya want ta......…...LOL

• mnavarre
        mnavarre commented
        Editing a comment
        This is true, *BUT* he's in San Diego. That thing's going to last the better part of forever with our weather.

Good point. Looked most everywhere for 304 and hard to find. In fact most tables on Amazon say nothing about type and gauge. I found one table in 304 and it was $300.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
        Uncle Bob commented
        Editing a comment
        In part that's because the raw material costs for 304 vs 430 are close to double, and because of the cost the volume of production is less so the economies of scale are lessened.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        Close to double again for 316SS

I'm a thinkin San Diego's climate would be very kind to most stainless steel products

Comment

• BBQPhil
        BBQPhil commented
        Editing a comment
        Except that I'm not far from the coastline

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotchya, me being a land lubber and all I forget about the salt air thing

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        But salt air is hell on stuff left outside.

MCS rash is flaring up!

Comment

Looks ideal for a pizza oven.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

My ikea "stainless" cart is showing some very beginnings of rust so I moved it into the garage.

and 304 would weigh a ton.

Comment

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              Very little if any weight difference between 430 vs 304 vs 316. The thicker the gauge the heavier and the heavier the $$

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              ??? ofelles I was just going off the SnS. Otherwise I’m clueless.

• ofelles
              ofelles commented
              Editing a comment
              HouseHomey You just described me........clueless. Except I spent 40 years doing sheetmetal so that I know some but not much.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here