Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help Me Plan My Revamped Fire Pit Area

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Webstaurant Store has work tables in both 304 and 316 SS in varying sizes. You can add 5" wheels for easy mobility, so you can store it some where else when not using it.. I have a couple and they are sturdy and good looking.
    https://www.webstaurantstore.com/325...rk-tables.html

Comment

Wow this is going to be an awesome outdoor entertaining area once you are done with it Jim White - look forward to seeing the finished product! We did a covered gazebo out by the pool a couple of years ago, with power and ceiling fans, and it's made the back yard much ore enjoyable. You are going to love it.

Comment

Update: we are in the home stretch! The slab got poured yesterday. Of course, with 2020 being as perverse as it is, the forecast of only a 20% chance of rain turned into a deluge of at least two inches of rain starting very soon after leveling the cement, but damage from that was minimal. The baseball seats attached really well, the fire pit/cooker looks great and is remarkably sturdy given how inexpensive it was, and the furniture looks fantastic. All that remains is to attach the shade cloth when it arrives and do some cleanup.

Well, and since there's always project creep, we're going to build a covered rack for storing wood. And a food prep/supply storage cart. After looking at options on carts online, we decided my guy can build one that will be much better for about the same amount of money. He has a friend with a granite countertop business, so he will grab a piece that's been cut out for a kitchen double sink and we'll use that as the top work surface and hot item landing spot. We'll put it on wheels for maximum versatility.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1398.jpg
Views:	301
Size:	290.3 KB
ID:	881491

Name:	IMG_1401(1).JPG
Views:	326
Size:	144.5 KB
ID:	881490

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks great, Jim!

Okay. We have finished the primary construction and put it through its first action today at lunch.

Here we are at nearly finished construction, lacking the shade cloth and with adjustment to the baseball seats still needed:

Name:	IMG_1399(1).jpg
Views:	275
Size:	310.8 KB
ID:	893380

And with the shade cloth in place:

Name:	IMG_1497(1).jpg
Views:	292
Size:	298.4 KB
ID:	893379

Side view:

Name:	IMG_1500(1).jpg
Views:	267
Size:	273.0 KB
ID:	893381

And looking out at the arena from the baseball seats:

Name:	IMG_1511(1).jpg
Views:	247
Size:	293.5 KB
ID:	893382

Firing up the BigHorn for the first time. Used the shallow charcoal pan and lump started with a tumbleweed:

Name:	IMG_1518.jpg
Views:	251
Size:	313.3 KB
ID:	893383

As you can see, I used the upper grill from my Kamado on top of the flimsy grill that came with the BigHorn.

Got a good fire going, my IR gun showed around 700 on the crossbar of the BigHorn's grill. Did some cheeseburgers and some Feltman's hot dogs:

Name:	IMG_1531(1).jpg
Views:	264
Size:	315.8 KB
ID:	893385

Daughter and grandbabies were here (son in law had to work).

Name:	IMG_1529(1).jpg
Views:	271
Size:	223.1 KB
ID:	893384

Name:	IMG_1523(1).jpg
Views:	256
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	893386

It was a bit hectic and I didn't get the posed pictures in the baseball seats I wanted, but Cashew and I agreed it was an outstanding kickoff to a fun setup. Loved how the grill worked and look forward to fire pit evenings too.

Name:	IMG_1535(1).JPG
Views:	260
Size:	159.5 KB
ID:	893387

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Looks mighty nice!!!

Okay. So I've been learning a lot about care of outdoor teak furniture. I wanted to maintain the beautiful color of this teak set rather than letting it age to the dull gray teak can go to. It seems that putting a fresh coat of teak oil on once or twice a year is supposed to work. I didn't feel a huge rush to get a coat on since the furniture arrived in beautiful condition.

I chose to work with Minwax Helmsman Teak Oil. Putting a fresh coat on the chairs went uneventfully. But then when I got to the table, I was in for a big surprise. As I prepared to put the oil on the table, I noticed what I thought were some water stains. I spent a little time with a "heat gun" (my wife will never know her hair dryer was in the garage for a while that day!) and wasn't able to make the stains dry out and disappear. Being naive and in a hurry, I went ahead with the oil, hoping the oil would magically "drive out" the residual moisture I thought was there. The end result after the oil dried was something I couldn't live with. My friend who did the construction and does a fair amount of woodwork took one look and informed me that these weren't water stains but were in fact fungus growing on the wood. He said the problem would only continue to get worse over time and that my only option was to sand the entire finish off the top and start over.

Here's a picture early in the sanding process that shows areas with fungus that haven't been sanded yet and areas where the finish and fungus have been partially removed:

Name:	2020-09-03 12.50.47-1.jpg
Views:	244
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	908378

And here's the table after sanding:

Name:	2020-09-04 13.56.38.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	214.7 KB
ID:	908379

And after five coats of teak oil with a full day of curing between coats, the table went back outdoors this morning:

Name:	2020-09-09 09.31.44.jpg
Views:	232
Size:	244.5 KB
ID:	908380

It will be fun to see if this indoor-quality shine persists through the weather, but for right now I'm very happy with the result.

In fact, I'm giving very serious thought to pitching our 20 year old patio furniture on the back porch and buying a second set of the same stuff.

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice job. Beautiful wood.

Great job on the teak. I suggest livin' with the teak for a year and see how it ages. Sometimes it seems that ya just can't stop the color changes with outdoor furniture.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. I'm hoping that with the shade cloth that is rated for blocking 90% of sunlight the color changes will at least be slower than in direct sun.

Oh my god, the story about the seats is so heartwarming. The project that you have completed is very impressive. Looking at the posts in chronological order and seeing the work you have done is very cool! I really like what you did with the furniture! May I ask where you bought this particular set? Or if ordered then where? I have been trying to make my fireplace area cozier and have realized that the furniture was lacking. I bought my outdoor furniture here https://paydaydeals.com.au/collectio...door-furniture. It is nice and all, but the style of your furniture would fit so much better!
        Last edited by Mojjj; September 16, 2021, 12:19 PM.

Comment

• Jim White
          Jim White commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks.

Bought the furniture online from Lowes. I need to clean it and put another coat of teak oil on it. My only regret so far is going with the shade cloth instead of roofing the gazebo. Will probably rectify that within the next year or two. That should do a much better job of protecting the furniture from rain and keeping it shiny.

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to the Pit!

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          Welcome to The Pit.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here