Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Summer Kitchen Build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looking at the pictures, I wouldn't be surprised if the builder is planning for an 18" kamado, just because that is what would fit in a standard depth cabinet and counter footprint. It is just too small, as FireMan and Attjack have said above. My personal choice would be the Primo XL, but the Primo Large is 18" deep and 24" wide. The XL is 21" deep and 27.5" wide.

Comment

yeah flip the cook area so you're facing the view for all the reasons above. Think hard about prep area too. If you're going to have a fridge there and feel like you might cook out there regularly, not just when you're smoking, you want prep and storage.

What I'd do is noodle more on how you'll use it. Get drawings like this... then, BEFORE you start, have them put up some sawhorses and some plywood as a faux counter and mark out where things will be. Draw a circle for the cooker, for the griddle, etc. Stand there and imagine yourself prepping, etc. Does it feel right? Cool, then build.

Finally, I'd consider what would happen if you expand. Let's say you want a 2nd cooker. A bigger sink. etc.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
        mountainsmoker commented
        Editing a comment
        Don't go with a bar sink either you will be sorry you did. Go with a standard single bowl kitchen sink. You will never regret the extra space for filling pots or washing vegetable or cleaning up.

Thanks everyone - this is really helpful! Will be sure to send pics when I get the design/build locked down and then of course actual construction next year.

Comment

....big screens at least two, 60" plus, college footballs coming....we hope, fingers crossed!!!!

Comment

Only thing I can think of to add is depending on your latitude, which side of the house will it be on relative to evening sun. Think about where the sun is in the evening and weather you want it or don’t. It can be blazing hot in some places on the west side. Also decide on overhead protection from inclement weather.

Comment

Nice set-up. I recommend you raise the egg so the grill level matches the level of your counter. Makes for an even working surface. And you can put a storage drawer in the structure beneath the egg. Measure twice, cut once. Enjoy.

Comment

Funny how most of us in here think alike
              The first thing I thought of too is to swap the kamado with the fridge, you don’t want it in the corner. Looking forward to seeing this being built!

Comment

Thanks everyone for your help, I've been spending a lot of time on bbqguys.com and have some stuff saved in my cart. I'm really liking what I read about the Primo XL as my primary grilling + smoking source.

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That would be a great choice for charcoal smoking and grilling. Maybe with that.... you just do a griddle and skip the gas grill? What way are you leaning?

• etronsman
                  etronsman commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yep I'm leaning Primo XL + griddle. Although part of me is even thinking that I like my counter-top propane grill that I have right now. I think I'll still go built-in.

I was wonderin, if ya built a nice little FireMan apartment. Then he could make sure all the cookers stay nice and clean. Also, a nice freezer so he could test meat that you might eat.

Comment

For those with Primo XL - given the depth (I believe 21") I probably just need to notify contractor of those so it doesn't stick too far out from what would be standard built in depth?

Comment

Hey all, quick question - leaning more toward a gas grill and getting grill gates as suggested. my only concern was a grease catcher that would otherwise come on a built in. Any suggestions on that? Thanks everyone for your help, I’m waiting to hear from my builder if I can add a vent into my roof at this stage, otherwise cooking appliances are going to be off the wall and losing counter space.

all the input on this forum has been amazing, thanks again!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here