Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Wood Cribs and Fuel Storage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201012_170920.jpg Views:	25 Size:	3.67 MB ID:	922939

Rick of sugar maple delivered today!

Click image for larger version  Name:	20201012_210126.jpg Views:	27 Size:	3.93 MB ID:	922940
    Stacked in the garage and ready to smoke!
    Last edited by mrteddyprincess; October 14, 2020, 12:04 PM.

Comment

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never used sugar maple before, either. I take what I can get :-) The last rick was wild cherry. That was wonderful. I'm looking forward to trying out the maple.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Let us know what you think, I am sure it is going to be good stuff. I am about to load the crib above with Cherry and I can't wait!

• mrteddyprincess
      mrteddyprincess commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker I never followed up. I have a couple of cooks under my belt with the sugar maple and I can't tell a single difference between it and the cherry I was using before. It's hardwood and it tastes good!

I store my charcoal/wood chunks/ fire starters/etc..in plastic garbage cans...

this is my pits
    pk orginal
    barrell house..i added coasters to stainless legs
    masterbuilt 560 gravity
    cruisnart..360
    green egg
    weber gas

and just for fun..a rocket stove..light it just to amuse the guest..put a dutch oven on it
    ​​​​​​​

Comment

i can be very slow at times..forgot to post the pics
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Um, tell me more about that rocket stove! That thing could have its own topic! Way cool!

• bbqLuv
        bbqLuv commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice I like the layout.

i am out of town when i get home i will post pictures of it working .

Comment

I got another load of Cherry wood hauled up and ready to be split up. This should fill the Cherry crib to the rafters. I should have this all split up by the weekend!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	62646000305__728D88EE-B177-45AF-BABA-91827E8900FD.jpeg
Views:	478
Size:	245.2 KB
ID:	938186Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9803.jpeg
Views:	479
Size:	254.9 KB
ID:	938185

Comment

I was able to split about 2/3 of this stack when I was feeding the KBQ. I ran out of daylight otherwise I would have split it all. I love splitting wood, I can do it for hours and hours on end. I like building a little fire and just getting to it. I think I can fit the rest of the stacked rounds into the bunk once I get them split up, but it is going to be tight.

Name:	IMG_9972.jpeg
Views:	447
Size:	277.5 KB
ID:	953162Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9974.jpeg
Views:	476
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	953161

Comment

• bbqLuv
            bbqLuv commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks like work. Wood pellets are EZ'r
            Enjoyable work. I must add.
            Last edited by bbqLuv; December 9, 2020, 01:13 PM.

Pretty sure I neglected to post the crib we put up by the revamped fire pit area. We've since loaded it partially, but I've mostly just been waiting for more good-sized oak branches to fall. They will come...

Name:	2020-09-25 11.56.24.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	953180

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Very nice! That looks great. It will look even cooler once it is loaded up!

Y'all make me sad that I just use a tarp!

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Nothing wrong with that either. Whatever works.

I had a load of oak delivered this weekend, but all the pieces were 30 inches long, so I had to get the mitter saw out to do some cutting before I stacked this batch. This will be for the sauna, and maybe some BBQ, but my main focus for this is for the sauna. I stacked up a solid rack of Iron wood last weekend that will work great to burn in the sauna.

It was nice to get the log splitter out too, I had a bunch of dead elm and river birch that needed to be split up as well. That stuff is so twisted that the log splitter makes it nice. I like to split all the cherry and oak by hand though.

Name:	IMG_1460.jpeg
Views:	366
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	1023574
          Fire in the foreground.......Had to burn out a stump too.

Name:	IMG_1462.jpeg
Views:	379
Size:	232.1 KB
ID:	1023573

Comment

All good stuff here! I had to laugh at money of these.

Comment

Spinaker, your wood sheds are a work of art. Having just seen this thread for the first time, I’m wondering how long all this wood will last you?

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Update: That wood lasted me until about last week! Actually, I was amazed. one row in that bunk is about a pickup bed full! . I know it does not look like much when it is all stacked, but it actually is quite a bit of wood!

Well I went a head and built another wood bunk for smoking wood. I wanted to have one close to the patio.......just because. And I had a bunch of scrap wood laying around, not too mention wood stain that I wanted to get rid of as well.
              I got it loaded up with some cherry, peach and white oak. I found some aluminum corrugated roofing at my buddies farm and I used that not he roof. This bunk cost me ZERO dollars. (Well kinda) It is all made of scrap wood.

Name:	64350278547__A2FB7320-3869-483D-93B2-718418DFF938.jpeg
Views:	384
Size:	208.2 KB
ID:	1036440

Comment

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Very nice John. I gotta get my butt in gear and build a roof over mine.

Oh. Going back to your first post. Are those posts set in concrete?

Name:	B6A66868-DB31-4462-BC49-04F4F6943C4F.png
Views:	367
Size:	218.6 KB
ID:	1036508

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Concrete Footings. 3 Ft down. Way over kill, but I had the tubes and the bags handy from another project.

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Good to know. Hopefully I can dig about 18-24” in behind the wall thats behind my shed to extend the roof.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Steve B

Brother, git DigSafe, er summat simular to come locate, first, Brother...it's FREE...

Not wantin ya to git smoked!

Or, either: Jus write me inta Yer Will, fer th LSG...

Spinaker Ask ANY* Air Det Seabee, an they'll tell ya, quite plainly...; Way Overkill*is the very leastest minimal standard any project can be done to, even under constant enemy fire, bombings, arty, etc...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 27, 2021, 08:03 PM.

Not much to look at, sexy-wise...So very sorry, yall...

Hopefully, this here'll last me through th Memorial Day weekend

BTW, many thanks, last several years, go out to HD, an Kingsford...

Sorry, yall; this is all I gots me, at present, on th ground , an seasoned, until newer stuff seasons all up, gits all kinda split up, proper-like...

Name:	20210521_155519 (Custom).jpg
Views:	314
Size:	141.1 KB
ID:	1037270

Last edited by Mr. Bones; May 28, 2021, 10:25 AM.

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow! That all yours? Did you build those bunks? Those are huge.

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow, that much wood could easily be a down payment on a house in these parts!
                I always joke, given the price of proper smoking woods out here...that stuff just doesn’t grow on trees ya know. LOL

The wood stack for the sauna is coming along. I have another trailer load sitting at my place that I need to split and stack up. Most of this was standing dead Ironwood and birch from up north. Nothing gets the sauna going like ironwood. It does a number on my saw chain though.

Thankfully my old man lets me stack this at his place, because my wood bunks are full of my smoking woods. (Oak, Cherry and Peach) The sun blasts this all summer and fall, with a little wind coming off the lake all the time the wood dries out pretty quick.

Name:	IMG_2567.jpeg
Views:	303
Size:	328.8 KB
ID:	1073565

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here