Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Wood Cribs and Fuel Storage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, I got it all stacked in the bunk yesterday. There is something very satisfying about stacking all that oak in the wood bunk. I think I can fit one more pick up load in there. I had to move all the Cherry wood over to make more room for the oak.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7726.jpeg
Views:	613
Size:	201.4 KB
ID:	844437

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, the golf course took down 300 trees this winter, so there are sooooo many for the taking. I will take a picture today when I go back. It looks like a grave yard. HawkerXP

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Yea, well I bet your mother wears combat boots too !!!!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      That’s a pretty pic!

Another load of white oak for the KBQ!!

Name:	EB277DAA-D50F-4A54-A36B-B528D1029AE0.jpeg
Views:	589
Size:	195.7 KB
ID:	844929

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! Yeah, I love my Eco Boost. Glad I went with the 3.5 too. HawkerXP

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      Buddy of mine has the 2.7 Eco boost w/ twin turbos. What kinda mileage you get on a 55mph stretch?

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I have the 3.5, but I think I'd get about 25-25 MPG at 55 MPH, I think. I only say that cause I never only go 55. LOL #heavyfoot Huskee

More cutting and splitting to be done today. Got some ribs to throw in the PBC!

Name:	IMG_7718.jpeg
Views:	564
Size:	137.2 KB
ID:	845850

Comment

Troutman
      Not exactly a wooded truck shot like Spin but I did clean up my act a bit. Some FOGO quebracho in there too along with lump and some premium.

Name:	E325AF3D-CDA7-45EA-925E-0FD0A562F876.jpeg
Views:	551
Size:	104.1 KB
ID:	846302

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Looking good Homey! I think you could load up that Lexus with plenty of wood to get a shot. LOL

• Troutman
        Troutman commented
        Editing a comment
        Yea looks like mine. Got bins on steel shelves in the old garage. Guess we're suburban woodsman

Working on a new wood crib. I’ve got a ton of cherry and peach wood from the Derecho storms down in Iowa. Unfortunately, my Uncle’s farm got pounded by the storm. So he is allowing me to take all the peach, apple and cherry I want. I was down there for four days doing nothing but cutting trees and hauling brush. There is still a lot to be done.

Here are a few shots of what I have so far. I did the first round of staining and painting yesterday but still more to do. I hate painting and staining so I have to do it in shifts. Lol. I still need to stain the floor and the rest of the slats.

Name:	IMG_8993.jpeg
Views:	554
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	901031Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9006.jpeg
Views:	542
Size:	251.7 KB
ID:	901028Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9039.jpeg
Views:	542
Size:	287.0 KB
ID:	901029Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9044.jpeg
Views:	556
Size:	337.7 KB
ID:	901030

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thats what I was thinking. It would make a nice bunk house. I could sleep on a load of split cherry wood. Sweet Dreams! HawkerXP

• N227GB
        N227GB commented
        Editing a comment
        Cut a hole in the floor, put it on skids, then haul it out when the lake freezes over. All you need is a generator and a DirecTV dish for your new fish house.
        Last edited by N227GB; August 26, 2020, 07:41 AM. Reason: Make that *fish* house.

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I've already got enough crap that I haul out on the ice in the winter. LOL N227GB

Not really spectacular - Charcoal and pellets inside, oak outside. One day I'll get around to building a cover for the wood pile.

Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I love that though. Looks like you have a really nice outdoor kitchen!

Waiting for a decent sale on charcoal to reload, but I have my wife all stocked with firewood. She likes a fire on a nightly basis.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Simple yet very effective! Thanks for sharing!

My wife being happy after a day of work . Works for me too. Always smells like a camping ground around here
      Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Gotta love a night time camp fire.

Wow! That much wood in SoCal could probably cover the cost of a decent used car. LOL

I tend to not keep nearly that much on hand...
      I have another half dozen of the larger charcoal bins but they were being camera shy.

Name:	8F3E856F-E90D-4416-8222-0E2D9582D2C3.jpeg
Views:	524
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	901594

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this set up. I always have the wood chucks all over the place.

• cgrover60
        cgrover60 commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice. yep, those Kingsford bins are pretty damn handy.

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes they are cgrover60
        I even picked up several of the small ones for my father...they hold a 20 lb bag of pellets with ease.

I got the final layer of stain on the floor. Now I am going to wait about a week to let the stain set in. I still need to split all the fresh cherry that is gonna make its home in this crib. I also need to put the metal roof on this baby. She is gonna be sweet with a full load of cherry wood.

Name:	IMG_9057.jpeg
Views:	500
Size:	249.8 KB
ID:	901785

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Spinaker You need some kids to slow you down. Your'e makin the rest of us look bad....

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Hahaha, nope! Don't need any of those. Ahumadora

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! cgrover60

Well I have some work to do. I still have three more loads this size to bring up from my uncle's place. This cherry wood is gorgeous....and heavy.

Name:	IMG_9078.jpeg
Views:	460
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	904155Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_9103.jpeg
Views:	448
Size:	277.0 KB
ID:	904156

Comment

Well I got that stack of Cherry all split up and ready for the rack. I am thinking I am gonna need to build another rack for the other two trailer loads of wood I still have to haul up. This was a good day. There is something about splitting all of that wood for the fire that makes the eventual cooks so special.

Name:	IMG_9330.jpeg
Views:	378
Size:	160.4 KB
ID:	913717

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          oooo, cherry.

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          All that wood and no stickburner??

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Ha, The KBQ kinda counts. This will all eventually run through that at some point. LOL Huskee

I got some pecan logs from my buddies farm the other week.
        Dont really have a good place to put them....... So I cut them and they filled up 3 big fishing coolers

Comment

Consumer's Energy came through my dad's and did a mega brush & tree clearing under the power lines right-of-way. While they were there doing their thing my dad hired the tree crews (Davey) to cut down an enormous maple that was there when I was a little kid. Half had fallen down in some wind a couple years ago and the rest was leaning toward their house. So they did but of course they didn't cut it up.

Dad "invited" me over to help him cut it up. They were a bit big for my 18" Stihl so dad & I took shifts making cuts. Here he is during his turn. And my truck waiting for more chain vs stump action. We got it all cut up though.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG5333.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.55 MB ID:	913932Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG5335.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.97 MB ID:	913933

We got a bunch split up and I brought some home to season over the winter and I promised him I'd make him & mom some ribs and brisket out of straight maple logs. I haven't ever used straight maple in the stickburner yet.

Here's my stack. The foreground is where the maple got stacked, visible is my ash then the oak stacks. It stays covered by a woodpile tarp which I love. I keep all my various chunks inside.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMAG5344 1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.52 MB ID:	913931

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Let me know what you think of that Maple. I always toss that stuff in the bonfire pile. Mainly cause I generally use oak and cherry.

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Have you burned any of this Maple yet in the Yoder?

• Huskee
            Huskee commented
            Editing a comment
            Spinaker I haven't. I'm letting it sit until warmer weather hoping it will be seasoned by spring. We did burn some in a bonfire the night we did the cutting above and it burned good so I prob could use it now.

Well, I got the first load of Cherry split and put in the rack. I think I can get another load in here before I need to build another. Fill up the other side and one more row across the front and this baby will be full.

Name:	IMG_9336.jpeg
Views:	388
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	914179

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here