Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Wood Cribs and Fuel Storage!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Show Us Your Wood Cribs and Fuel Storage!

I have been meaning to build a new wood storage rack for some time now. I threw this up a few weeks ago and I finally got it loaded up with what oak and cherry I have left.

I just acquired a new connection for some free smoking wood. They have oak, cherry, maple and apple for the taking. My brother is a member at a golf course that has tons of awesome smoking woods from cutting trees on the course. Originally, it was only open to members for firewood, but no one is taking it. So I jumped on it. I think I am going to pick up the first load sometime this week. I can't wait to fill this new wood rack with some fresh oak and hopefully some more cherry.

What do you use to store your fuel for your smokers/grills? Wood, charcoal, pellets or otherwise.

Here is my newest addition! (Oak on the left, Cherry on the right)
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7380.jpeg Views:	315 Size:	4.15 MB ID:	838067

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7569.jpeg Views:	359 Size:	2.81 MB ID:	838065
    Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7571.jpeg Views:	316 Size:	3.12 MB ID:	838066

Looking good but I am concerned about storing this wood up next to a wood building. I build temporary racks around the wood lot close to where we get the wood. Have 7 of them around at present.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	29D32FC4-C972-4519-83AD-BB0C90B2031D.jpeg
Views:	1177
Size:	322.0 KB
ID:	838091Click image for larger version

Name:	BAF1DD92-FEF6-40C4-8789-1156DE6AA5FB.jpeg
Views:	1168
Size:	316.5 KB
ID:	838092
    Last edited by Donw; April 26, 2020, 02:34 PM.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Very nice! You are loaded up!

• DuckinBBQ
      DuckinBBQ commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw - Is that a canvas tarp you are you using in the above picture? Dimensions?

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      DuckinBBQ Canvas tarp 8โ€™x16โ€™

Sweet John. Youโ€™re becoming quite the handyman with your time home. ๐Ÿ˜. Iโ€™ve been meaning to build something like this for a while now. Ever since Henrik made his. You got some great features on that puppy which I shall incorporate when I get my lazy arsh going.
    Great job brother. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I think anything you put In the LSG deserves a good home.

Both of you Donw and Spin have a nice wood supply.
    I also voice concern with wood close to wood structures. Things might be a little different up north but down here termites are serous problems.

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah, never had a problem with it in the past, but Iโ€™ll keep an eye on it. ๐Ÿ‘

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      No termites (so far anyways) up in northeastern Iowa, so I think Spin is safe. I still don't keep firewood stacked close to my wood-sided buildings because I want the siding to stay as dry and mildew free as possible.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah the -30 F winter tends to do its work on stuff like that. never had issues with termites

I hang mine in the trees so the bears donโ€™t get it.

Spin, when the woods runs out you can throw the rack on the fire. ๐Ÿ˜ƒ

actually mine is in the garage.

Name:	99F0888D-1E91-4C57-96FE-86CFA125CA3C.jpeg
Views:	1157
Size:	110.5 KB
ID:	838182

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Loaded with FOGO. I love it!

• HouseHomey
      HouseHomey commented
      Editing a comment
      Not as pretty though!

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      You're funny Homes. Actually that's what my "fuel storage" looks like, suburban style !!

well, not much to look at but there ya go....about 36 gallons of diesel in there.

Attached Files

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      I had to laugh!

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I like it!

Lol I was going to take a pic of my pellet bin and propane bottle, but you guys are ahead of me!

Comment

Now that fuel storage looks WAY better than mine. Good to see you used the space on a rear wall, and partly covered. Great job Spinaker!

Comment

Just in time inventory control.

Name:	Capturex.JPG
Views:	1096
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	838486

Comment

• HawkerXP
          HawkerXP commented
          Editing a comment
          I remember those days. Nobody had the parts we needed.

My wood stack sucks currently. I need to figure out a better location.

Comment

Not as organized as it should be.
          Attached Files

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Who told you that wasnโ€™t organized? Shame on them!

I purchased 1.5 tons the other day of mesquite for the parrilla and que bracho colorado trunks for the fire this winter. I usually go through about 5 tons all winter.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            The color on that wood is amazing. I am also thinking that is some prime stuff for making lump!

• Ahumadora
            Ahumadora commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep. That's Que Bracho colorado (Axe breaker) , Heavy and hard as a rock. Barely puts off any flames and turns to a red brick that burns for Hours. Some of those large stumps will burn for 30 hours or more in my fire.

Iโ€™ve got some splitting to get done today. Gotta fill up that new storage rack. I picked up 2 loads of Red Oak and Pin Oak rounds from the golf course my brother belongs too. They have an amazing amount of wood to be taken.

Gotta get to work! ๐Ÿค˜

Name:	E8ACB23A-1CF0-451B-B08F-C2E6F9348BEA.jpeg
Views:	1004
Size:	284.0 KB
ID:	843517Click image for larger version

Name:	B4910E54-F0AC-4620-950B-E3A28A9FFB8A.jpeg
Views:	1007
Size:	342.0 KB
ID:	843516

Comment

Got it all spilt up and ready for stacking! I think Iโ€™m gonna need a bigger boat......

Name:	15F2ED10-DFC5-406B-A42B-3BD6CEC202E9.jpeg
Views:	955
Size:	330.8 KB
ID:	843621

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Sooooo much oak. But, you know, you can never have too much oak. Huskee

• Huskee
              Huskee commented
              Editing a comment
              Amen to that, totally agree. It works for everything, and well.

• HouseHomey
              HouseHomey commented
              Editing a comment
              Dang man!!

I thought you would have it all stacked before noon. ๐Ÿ˜

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              LOL, got up late, but got it all stacked by 1 PM.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here