Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Wood Cribs and Fuel Storage!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's my crib over by the fire pit.

Click image for larger version

Name:	5BjZoYNpEudBVUzhz1VahXrmlHWWx7A353pfJ5AyZBFf-atHjjlsk_ydsHbl_vROLNE7pyVWwcwYlSqJU203AAXJQtNJcRy8mpjJB-f19AzPoq98-acLe75WEvN5g7yXz6dh4Zgj89z7OCUAwNHsRC1z47GR0qVDDSyz3AnlzqDByf6G1L8yC0B703Z-PjtTb-QznfrQNrKb3TMLsbQh8HvWlt0HXWWN6HklPo-uHVIQQMjWNflQiajUyKf4A1H
Views:	507
Size:	253.0 KB
ID:	1076007

Comment

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice! Got her all stacked up nice brother! Did you build that rack?

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Spinaker No, I found it on the side of the road. I'm considering building a new one from scratch though.

• Spinaker
      Spinaker commented
      Editing a comment
      I feel like that would be a good project for you. Attjack

Well I hauled four pick up loads of downed ash up to the Sauna. Next step is getting this stuff split up. I will probably do some of it manually, but I am sure the splitter will come in handy as well. Even though it was -1 F, hauling this stuff around keeps you warm.

Name:	IMG_4831.jpeg
Views:	483
Size:	196.6 KB
ID:	1165027

Comment

Name:	IMG_20220125_104304528.jpg
Views:	459
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	1165124
      My Premium Fuel Storage
      Any Questions? See picture.

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        When are you gonna start cooking with wood? LOL

After restocking… Click image for larger version

Name:	D1FD637B-303D-4515-A65F-15965BB2112E.jpeg
Views:	444
Size:	196.8 KB
ID:	1165155

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice variety! Thanks for sharing.

• Santamarina
        Santamarina commented
        Editing a comment
        Yohawk Looking good. I’ve not heard many reports on poplar as a smoking wool. I’ve played plenty of guitars made of poplar, but not many barbecue plates!

What "common" smoke wood would you compare it to?

• Yohawk
        Yohawk commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Santamarina, I don’t smoke with it. When we purchase "hardwood" locally it’s mainly oak, with a little maple, and even less poplar thrown in. It does burn great in the fireplace!

I did another big haul of wood for the sauna on Sunday. Stacked all of it so it is ready to split. Most of this is ash and silver maple from the river bottoms. The advatage here is that most of this here is blown down wood. It is so sandy down in the river bottom that these big trees are blowing over all the time. There trees have been down for about 2 years, but up off the ground, so they are good and dry. Most of the logs were testing at less than 10% moisture. I probably have 3 more loads to cut up and split tonight. This always gives me something to do while I am heating up the sauna. IDk what it is but cutting and splitting wood is therapeutic for me. And it is very satisfying when it is all stacked up nicely.

Name:	IMG_4967.jpeg
Views:	429
Size:	257.1 KB
ID:	1171791 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4972.jpeg
Views:	423
Size:	300.6 KB
ID:	1171792

Comment

I moved my crib over the weekend to make way for more timber bamboo.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Show us some pics!

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Okay, won't be as impressive as yours. Be back later with the pics.

Got around to splitting a bunch of oak this weekend. A friend of mine had an oak that had to come down, so I had tons of rounds to get too. I hand split this batch. I will get the 30-Ton out for the twisted-gnarly stuff. This oak grew on the side of a hill, so the wood is pretty twisted and bound tightly. So the 30-ton will come in handy.

Most of the rounds split up really nice and I love seeing it stacked. I got two stacks done, although I only have one pictured here. In my opinion, nothing smells better than fresh split oak, the aroma is amazing.

Name:	IMG_8541.jpg
Views:	359
Size:	322.2 KB
ID:	1313667 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8542.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	333.0 KB
ID:	1313668

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Also, good, just not a strong after you split it. In my experience anyway.

• Steve R.
          Steve R. commented
          Editing a comment
          Spinaker the red oak on my property definitely has kind of a "spicy" aroma when freshly cut and split. My black cherry wood makes the whole backyard smell a bit like cotton candy when freshly cut. Probably a regional difference.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Wow, that is interesting, and it might be a regional thing. One thing I do love about splitting up that cherry, is when the sun hits it right after the split. That wonderful wood grain shimmers in the sunlight and it almost makes you feel guilty for burning it. It is gorgeous. Steve R.

Here's the birch I had cut down this year.

Name:	e7ZPC5tiWExpjIIrV9gewlp4v2aoeK2FCwH6olM8RsbTh54Q94Lq3h-aOXllTwLE68NIfCuRSJISJDaquJ60jBus6Rn-rnG1-0XF1v0hiHhCPbTz6xoWVjMubooYwg4kV0qVKc3DSYDFqk_OGnLJZF9dSM76GkaPaeoShm7nBkWkSMLkyjzXtNeWkXmaO-k_MCxmYTE7ziP53TOn5hQU1lF-xOwGf9p8xFArLv2qcuOoXZZtz5DfjdsWg1AdehA
Views:	344
Size:	12.26 MB
ID:	1313727

Name:	1UWyZLLMokMDfVJwVEssgObBZLuPG7iiw_TitbJUIL8tjWSeWXW7lhAh-mbLNyVn5ig8KIqX374bPCO22aGqPD1OZ110R60RKMhghX5z-GBcClxBeAsRkOrom6v_wRsoP-yIYsWM76ZiprFUGWIfjFZfKu1K1xOtyR_v1qg3QbPfqfyHNTa9U-OywlCgocSKYZooAERW497NAja4LiRtIt5aK-3jMTKUbtyCr6wrHbSw2ubCEGRuXJ0OLz20RJM
Views:	352
Size:	138.0 KB
ID:	1313728

Click image for larger version  Name:	hUd_j4gaD1DgHzFOSQkwgNS5uLP9jaTAqSEFbfsYNUrHIm1qsfMUiMmBSIYIJsJuldEwobZ0f_xpHV48hvPXA_g0L5toNkC4hL1dbYJUZE8izVeryv3_60245bx3HHPoUpxB6yGPipoDMKOzY3zf0qCqxFijA0vMy_H9-aN2OhjDQIPllkGaFW-24FWGyljLVdTDRqQbD63vrMZ3X1KqF8ey15IWfH3yMwW6aNBWlJm6vhb5g0PnpV37mFXYinN Views:	0 Size:	913.3 KB ID:	1313721

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep, he for sure needed the spikes on that one.

I rented lift to get this oak down. Ended up with a 4 foot diameter, 20 foot long oak log that is headed to the sawmill for some table tops.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I wanted to build a table out of that birch until I read up on birch and realized the wood isn't suitable for outdoor use.

I also filled up my bunk on the patio with some nice white oak and black cherry. I love it when she is plumb full!

Name:	IMG_8319.jpg
Views:	337
Size:	281.4 KB
ID:	1313869 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8320.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	279.1 KB
ID:	1313867 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8323.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	257.2 KB
ID:	1313868

Comment

This is my wood storage. It's so small.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Spinaker
            Spinaker commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, this is efficient.

I got some help this weekend splitting up and stacking wood. My brother and his son, and BIL and his son came over to help. it was awesome to have the extra hands. This wood will be used for the cast iron stove in the four season porch. I like to hand split, but when I have help, I get the 24-Ton ram out.

Name:	IMG_8588.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	275.9 KB
ID:	1322258 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8590.jpg
Views:	316
Size:	129.3 KB
ID:	1322256 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8591.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	250.2 KB
ID:	1322257
          Already putting that wood to work!

Name:	IMG_8570 2.jpg
Views:	306
Size:	94.3 KB
ID:	1322259

Comment

My wood crib is more of a Microflat. Sausage wood.

Name:	20221107_111547.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	168.9 KB
ID:	1322308

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice. LOL Really put that together nicely.

1.5 cubic feet of Hickory from wolly world. Miter saw will give me some chunks for Jurassic.

Name:	20230413_111620.jpg
Views:	249
Size:	122.5 KB
ID:	1405479

Comment

More Red Oak for the stack! I have plenty more to split up this weekend too. Gotta get some wood dried out for sauna season next year. I split 8-30+ inch rounds yesterday down at the sauna while it was heating up. We are going to build a thermal shed to quickly dry the wood this year. More on that build to follow.......

Name:	IMG_0393.jpg
Views:	210
Size:	298.2 KB
ID:	1407906

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                I wish. Only corn and soybeans in those babies. Although, they would be great for wood drying seeing how they have fans and in floor air delivery. It would be tough to tell my buddy to put his crops somewhere else. Alan Brice

• HawkerXP
                HawkerXP commented
                Editing a comment
                All this time I thought you were splitting by hand. 😜

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Haha, most of the time I do, but the splitter was out and I was already worn out from cutting and hauling the tree earlier in the day. Not getting any younger, that is for sure. HawkerXP

Recently got a half cord of cherry for $150. I should be set for awhile. Woodpile is mostly cherry with a little oak.

Name:	20230419_112530.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	266.9 KB
ID:	1408190

Comment

• Spinaker
                Spinaker commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice! The LSG will appreciate that!

• Alan Brice
                Alan Brice commented
                Editing a comment
                Man, I love the smell of cherry smoke (in the morning)....it makes me think of...VICTORY!!!

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here