Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Show Us Your Wood Cribs and Fuel Storage!

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    oooooh very nice, my friend. As they say in the book I mentioned above........"Stack your wood with pride, you will be looking at it for the next year."

• texastweeter
    replied
    Getting low. Will fill er up after squirrel season is over.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	20240113_160043.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	153.3 KB
ID:	1546680

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    A little more expensive than scrap tin, but made for the job:

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    According to the book above. one cord of fresh cut oak can contain as much as 350 gallons of water in the wood! Pretty crazy when you think of it. All but 40 some gallons of water must be evaporated away before burning. (Assuming a desired water content of 12%)

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Yep, I have seen those covers too. I think the sheet metal roof will work well for me. It will also bake in the sun and bring heat to the top. My hope is that it will drive more airflow upwards as the stack heats up through out the day. The key is to get the condensing water to run out and away as it collects on the top of the roofing. That is my thought anyway. I will be posting pictures as I progress with my chopping this week. So stay tuned! Johnny Booth

• Dan Deter
    commented on 's reply
    Interesting.

• Johnny Booth
    commented on 's reply
    Very cool. I don’t used enough wood to build one, but when I looked around a bit I saw that they actually make round covers for these. I learned something new today. Thank You. 😎

• Spinaker
    replied
    I got a fresh load of oak and ash dumped down at the sauna. So I am working on getting that split up. It has been splitting really well, most of it is straight which is perfect for my next project. My first Holzhausen.

You can see below I have laid out the first pieces of splits for my Holzhausen​. I laid out the first pieces of wood along the circle I marked out with a string. Then I stack the pieces on their side, leaning towards the center.

Name:	IMG_3275.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	246.2 KB
ID:	1546580
    When it is all said and done the walls will be 5 feet tall and the center will have a diameter of about 6.5 feet. (given the pieces of wood are about 18 inches). Then I will fill the middle as I go up. This will be filled with off cut pieces and twisted pieces of wood that will not otherwise stack very well. Once complete, I will cover it with some old roof tin from the barn. I have been wanting to build one of these for a long time, and since I have the wood to do it, I figured I might as well give it a try. I mean, who wants to build another wood bunk? (J/K I love building those)

Name:	IMG_3277.jpg
Views:	230
Size:	278.7 KB
ID:	1546579

I have been reading Norwegian Wood- Chopping, Stacking & Drying Wood The Scandinavian Way for inspiration. I LOVE this book. I am on the second round of reading. It has been a real fun read and I highly recommend it for anyone with an interest in spending time in the woods it working with wood. It is much more than just learning how to chop, stack and dry wood. It goes into the importance of wood fires, being in the forest and out deep connection to it. It has been fun and interesting to read and I highly recommend it.

Name:	norwegian-wood_AB-0002_762x762.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	1546581

Leave a comment:

• Bad Hat BBQ
    replied
    That is really nice....it is always a test when you work by yourself....nicely done

Leave a comment:

• Spinaker
    commented on 's reply
    Update: That wood lasted me until about last week! Actually, I was amazed. one row in that bunk is about a pickup bed full! . I know it does not look like much when it is all stacked, but it actually is quite a bit of wood!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here