Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor grill/BBQ tool storage

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor grill/BBQ tool storage

I'm looking to buy or make something like this, but bigger and better. Does anyone have any sources, ideas, plans, examples?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BBQ tools cabinet.png
Views:	1350
Size:	660.3 KB
ID:	825363

That is really cool.
    I'll contribute a more useful answer tomorrow, Smokey's tellin me it's Beddy-Bye Time.

Comment

Interested in this thread.

Comment

First thing to do is itemize what you want to store---that exercise will help you determine dimensions and design.
        Then decide whether it should be a stand-alone or attached to something. Then decide on the type of wood and
        how to treat it for outdoor use. Then----contact a cabinet maker and tell him what you want. He'll do the rest.

Comment

Just make sure it is tall enough for your longest tool, (I'm not gonna make a joke here... ). Adjustable shelves would be nice in case you want to change the arrangement. And using a French cleat would probably be the easiest way to hang it.

Comment

I would cover it in something to keep the rain off of it. I would, like others have said, list out what you wanna store, then make it 30% larger. You will always want more storage space.

Comment

Good ideas so far - keep it up you all!! Thanks!

Comment

I'm actually going to buy this for my BBQ storage. I can add shelves for tools and put charcoal in there too. I'll keep all the spices inside the house though:

https://www.lowes.com/pd/CRAFTSMAN-C...hed/1001052362
                Last edited by 58limited; April 4, 2020, 10:46 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I've seriously considered pullin th trigger on these, as well. They look like a great storage solution!

• 58limited
                  58limited commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I thought so too. It'll hold my charcoal chimney, fire starters, tools, extra grates for my kamado and KBQ, the two thermometers from my big stick burner, my Maverick XR50 (can coil the leads and hang on the inside of the door), and lump charcoal and wood chunks/chips. Right now this is all spread over the garage and kitchen.

Was lookin at this, this mornin, again...here's what I'm seein:

Box is jus some 1x4, front/shelf is 1/2 plywood.
                Internal dimensions on this one look to be in th neighbourhood of ~17"x~24", based on comparison to th cmu* wall it's hangin on.
                *CMU=Concrete Masonry Unit, iow concrete blocks. They're nominally 8"x8"x16".

I like th chain idea on th shelf.
                It's shot together with a brad nailer, trim gun kinda thing. Me, I'd recommend usin small screws, drill pilot holes.Why? As it gits used, an also is exposed to heat, cold, rain, sunshine, etc. th wood's gonna expand an contract. With screws, ya can give am a gentle snug, when needed. With nails, not so much.

Looks like th maker already made it too small fer their tools; note spatula appears to be touchin, fork is clearly restin on its prongs, obvious slack in hanger on tongs.

Also, as RonB said, I'd make mine with cleats in back to mount. Not crazy bout th L brackets they used. Had th same observation last night that he did, re: makin th lil shelves adjustable. Otherwise, Someday, ya'll git a different rub, er summat, in a different height bottle, an it won't fit, Rats!

I see a lil pull/knob on front door/shelf, but no sign of some kinda latch, or catch to hold door shut. Not sure how they're gittin it to stay shut.

I really like th lil shelf/cabinet, but I'd haveta put my own spins on it.

With a circle saw, an a cordless drill, it'd take bout 15 mikes to mebbe an hour to knock one together. Even with a handsaw, mebbe only twice that.

All ya'd have to do is finish it, after that, an hang it up.
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 4, 2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• RonB
                  RonB commented
                  Editing a comment
                  All good stuff, but I'll have to disagree with ya on time. With the shelterin' in home, and if ya have a spouse, ya otta be able to stretch it to at least a half a day...

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  RonB LMAO, no Guinness forcibly expelled, thankfully!
                  Given them particular circumstances, why, It'd take me at least a week, minimum, if left uninterrupted!
                  Pro Tips:
                  I'd s l o w l y cut alla my wood with a dull, rusty copin saw, takin frequent bevvie breaks, to avoid any repetitive motion injury, then apply th finish with q-tips, an wipin with 2"x2" gauze!
                  Multiple coats!!!!
                  Thanks fer th great belly laugh!!!!!!

Got it from Lowes or Amazon.

Name:	Storage 1.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	221.6 KB
ID:	825835

Name:	Storage 2.jpg
Views:	513
Size:	226.2 KB
ID:	825836

Comment

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  One extinguisher. The other one is a torch.

• surfdog
                  surfdog commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Kind of the smaller version of the one I have. Mine does NOT adjustable/replaceable shelves though...so that can be a pain sometimes.
                  Looking to get another one this summer hopefully.

• jlazar
                  jlazar commented
                  Editing a comment
                  This cabinet did not come with shelves. They give you a template so you can cut your own. I cut mine 4 inches deeper than the template. Otherwise, you have a lot of wasted space between the shelf and the doors. If I did it again, I would buy the wider model. Same rule as for equipment - go big the first time.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here