Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question for those who have a custom Kettle cart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Question for those who have a custom Kettle cart

I'm planning on building a custom Weber Kettle / Blackstone Griddle cooking station this spring.

This will be sitting on the edge of my deck where it will be exposed to the elements.

I already have a concept figured out to protect the griddle from the elements but I can not think of how to protect the kettle from them.

I've had my kettle for 5 years and I keep it covered with the deluxe Weber kettle cover when not in use.

Should I worry about covering the kettle somehow or just let the lid be exposed to the elements when not in use?

Thanks for any input

Steve

It would help if we knew what you are using to make the cart. Will it be wood, or steel, or maybe aluminum?

A removable box to fit over it should be easy, and you could make it out of wood or sheet metal.

Comment

We had a composite deck put in this fall and I was planning on having the front/back and sides of the station wrapped in the composite skirting to match the deck. I am thinking about making a concrete top for it because I am not sure wood or metal will look good in contrast to our composite deck.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Maybe a wood frame covered in the composite skirting? If the skirting is not solid, some galvanized sheet metal under the top to prevent drips. If you have significant winds, you might need to figure a way to anchor it, but otherwise it could just sit on top. You might have to add some handles if it's a bit heavy.

I have a Weber kettle from the 80s and it has never been covered. It has some rust where the handle connects to the lid and has faded some. So I'd assume the kettle should last a good while uncovered.

You could try to find an off the self cover. For example Blackstone makes some pretty long covers (78"), although the width may be an issue. Not sure if you going with a 22" kettle or 26". Also there are places that make custom covers (See below). Finally, maybe make your own cover. I have been looking into making a cover for my outdoor kitchen. Google "DIY grill cover".

https://www.blackstoneproducts.com/product-category/covers-carry-bags/

https://www.coversandall.com/

Shop our custom size patio furniture covers designed to provide the perfect fit while keeping everything in your backyard protected from rain, snow, and more.

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        The goal is to creat a 10’x3’ station with the 22” kettle integrated on the left and the 28” griddle integrated into the right with a 36” work section between them with two tilt out compartments below the work section to hold two coolers.

I've gotten kind of lazy with covering my grills.....also kind of tired of buying new covers every few years (I do think Weber has improved the quality of their covers through the years). My Genesis is a teenager now and hasn't been covered for much more than it's 1st year. I've never had a cover for the plain Jane kettle. And even my WSCG doesnt get covered like it used to....

So that said, on a nice day when I clean them up...they all look brand new.

Concrete tops are awesome, btw...

Comment

• ssandy_561
        ssandy_561 commented
        Editing a comment
        I’ve never done anything with concrete but I’ve been watching a lot of YouTube videos on it and hopefully I can pull it off.

• Black99vette
        Black99vette commented
        Editing a comment
        ssandy_561 I just did concrete counter tops this summer. I used Mortar mix and poured them into molds. If I did it again I would pour them in place.

• xaugievike
        xaugievike commented
        Editing a comment
        They're not "hard" to do...but make sure you have your process planned, stuff ready, etc...sounds silly but once you get going you have to keep going...you cant stop and run to Home Depot b/c you forgot something.

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here