Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Built in Offset Smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built in Offset Smoker

Has anyone done it? I'm considering enclosing my LSG. Other than not being able to move it, what would the cons be? If I do, it would be unaltered entirely, just roll it into place then lock it in with the framing and counter top.

How would you put in wood to the firebox?

Comment

Feeding/cleaning the fire, cleaning the cook chamber out, and heat exhausting from the fire box would be considerations

Comment

the "counter" would be stepped down to the bottom of the firebox. Or just leave the firebox exposed from the end of the cook chamber to end of the fire box.

Comment

• scottranda
          scottranda commented
          Editing a comment
          Right, but then is it really built in? It’s like it’d be attached. Not built in. Design would be key for a built in offset.

I've never seen it done and I'm trying to noodle through the logistics of it in the first place.

Comment

I know there are lots of offset set-ups that are built in. My favorites are the ones that have a Santa Maria feature for grilling and a solid flat top that directs smoke to an upright in concrete or brick for smoking on the side. I haven't seen one that takes an existing smoker and turns it into a built in. In the models I have seen, the vent is in the front of the unit and there is piping that goes to the upright unit.

Comment

I'd suggest contacting LSG, they may have already invented the wheel.

Comment

The firebox would have to be from the back? Just an idea. If you really wanted built in, I’d go with the Santa Maria suggestion above! Good one!

Comment

scottranda i think I’ll end up going with something like this below. I don’t want immobilize my LSG and the wall I think is a "classy compromise" instead of a half arsed built in.

Click image for larger version

Name:	D4675767-5C29-4105-A52B-095BE8D94E20.png
Views:	284
Size:	361.0 KB
ID:	771193

Comment

• tbob4
                  tbob4 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like it!

• ofelles
                  ofelles commented
                  Editing a comment
                  That looks good!

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I like this - sorta hides things nicely, but you can still roll it out and hose it down for cleanup. You just gotta go behind the wall to mess with the fire... but the hot firebox is less accessible to kids/guests/etc.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here