Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm replacing my furnace should I run a gas line to the Outdoor Kitchen?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm replacing my furnace should I run a gas line to the Outdoor Kitchen?

I want to upgrade my gas grill at some point and I have an EVO Grill that is propane too. I'm wondering what your thoughts are on adding a natural gas line? Is it worth it?

Can the grills be converted to natural gas?? If so I would do it for sure!!

Comment

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      What he said.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      That's a question I have about the EVO. I guess I need to look into it. I imagine it's pretty simple to convert over. The gas cooktop I have out there certainly was. The grill I plan on buying in the future could and would be purchased ready for NG if I've had this line run out to the outdoor kitchen. I also just realized my current pizza oven run on propane too and when it comes tim to upgrade I feel like I'll want to stick with a gas-fired oven.

I used natural gas for 5 years after having use propane for 20 years. I found natural gas to be easier to cook on with the same results. Cost is less.

Comment

We're on LPG and I'm running a line with at least three hookups on the new patio. Flexible gas line is pretty cheap, and if you have someone there anyway, and as long as it's not an overly complicated run, it shouldn't add too much more to your cost. Not ever having to fill up and change out tanks is waaaay worth it for me.

Comment

Short answer is "yes". CaptainMike has already provided a perfectly good longer answer.

Comment

LPG aka propane appliances are not interchangeable with natura gas aka LNG . There may be orfices than can be changed out.. but you can't hook a propane grill to natural gas. Or vice versa without changing orffices.

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Boy yer having trouble gittin that "O" word spelt ain’t ya.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Yeah, when I installed my gas cooktop in the outdoor kitchen I had to use a wrench to unscrew a thing and replace a tiny aluminum orifice with a different tiny aluminum orifice. In that case, it took about 90 seconds. Hopefully, that's par for the course.

• Backroadmeats
            Backroadmeats commented
            Editing a comment
            FireMan. Fat fingers and small phone😄

By all means do it if the grills you are buying come in NG or can converted to NG. I grew up with a NG grill that my dad installed back in the 60's and he loved it. Fed a family of 5 and made great steaks. If your new furnace is LNG then check with the grill manufacturer you want that it can run LNG. No use having one and not the other. I have a propane furnace and a propane grill.

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            Interesting. I've never had propane in any of my houses. NG is far more common around these parts. Although I am considering adding a propane tank at my cabin, ditching the electric stove, and installing some propane heaters. I've noticed rural properties often use propane tanks. But I've never seen it piped into a house.

• mountainsmoker
            mountainsmoker commented
            Editing a comment
            Attjack I live in the mountains of NC. Propane is very prevalent. They pull up with a big truck and fill my 500 gallon tank which with my new house lasts almost 3/4 of a year. We use it for heating, the cook stove and an instant on hot water heater.

I'd do it.
          If the gas fitter is there at least get him to run gas lines and install the valves/fittings.
          Even if you don't convert your outdoor stuff right away its all right there to be hooked up.

Comment

I'm sure you'll love it if you add the gas line. My dad did this years ago at a former home and he really liked it. When my parents had a new home built he had the builder run a gas line to the deck so he could keep grilling on gas. The builder liked the idea so much he's started offering the gas line to the deck on all his homes and using the unique convenience of it to help sell the homes.

Comment

When I built my outdoor grill area a few years back, I ran pipe from the stubout for a grill as well as a single burner. It is the best thing I did for the grill station. Not having to worry about propane’s great. I turn the grill or burner on and there we go.

But it I had a stub out. It could be cost,y depending on how far you have to run a line. But, it’s grest to have.

Comment

I ran a natural gas line to my patio for my Weber gasser. It’s great never running out and way cheaper than propane. It could be costly but you should at least ask for a quote.

Comment

Oh hell yes! Mine is city gas just need a larger orifice on your modulating valve. Memory is 10% larger. I use my grill year round.

Comment

Short answer: YES!

Comment

In answer to yer question, yup, I'd do it, while th Tech is there...

Jus gonna cost more, next year...

Comment

Well, I got a quote for $1300 for the gas line if I get it done at the same time as the furnace and I would have to dig the trench myself. Pretty spendy for the convenience. That's what I paid for my new gas grill.

Comment

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Yeah, I may get another quote or I may just let it go. I have other stuff to do in the Outdoor Kitchen too and I might prefer to put that money towards that at this point. There will come a time when I want to dig a trench to run water and electricity properly to the kitchen (I use a hose and extension cord currently). Maybe that would be the time to revisit the idea of running a gas line.

• mountainsmoker
                          mountainsmoker commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Attjack that wouldn't be a bad idea. Just have them stub off a connection for future use. If you ever want to.

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          It will need to come from the meter so it's all or nothing. mountainsmoker

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here