Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Deck cover help/suggestions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deck cover help/suggestions

I have been looking for some type of covering with possible siding that I can place on my deck to extend my cooking area from just outside my back door. Trying to utilize 12'x15' deck. Since I have an overhang it really can not be more than 10'x15'. I have looked at the pop-up canopies since they are cheaper but also do not weigh a lot. I have seen that some of you use them. Are they sturdy enough to take some wind and also some snow weight? I can secure the corners with 2x4's to keep it on the deck and not rocking with the wind. This would be a temp/perm type setting. I have looked at pergolas but they are mostly just for shade and they cost a lot.

That's a tough one, Jim. All of the ones that I looked at that can take a snow load are kind of pricey.

Comment

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      That was what I found also. The popup canopies are temp shelter devices.

If you inquire at your local building permit department they will likely be able to tell you what snow loads are required for accessory or ag structures and match that with what you are buying.

Comment

I use a pop up canopy in the summer, wrap a big ol chain around the legs to keep her from blowing away, as far as snow load, if ya keep it brushed off I bet it would be fine

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. Which make and model canopy do you have?

• Mudbeaver
        Mudbeaver commented
        Editing a comment
        JimLinebarger mine is just an ozark trail (Walmart) I take it down after use, I’d just go the next level up if u plan on leaving it up

Go for the gold! That's what we did by constructing a roof over 2/3 of our deck. Morning sun for a cup of coffee and shade in the heat of the day. Lights and an outdoor ceiling fan completed the project. The kids are enjoying the evening during construction. The second photo is of the completed project. I apologize for the dark photo, it was after sunset.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3187.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.56 MB ID:	578434Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_3223.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.80 MB ID:	578435

Comment

• JimLinebarger
        JimLinebarger commented
        Editing a comment
        Looks great. I rent and the deck was built without following many of the building codes. That is why weight of covering has to be considered.

I don’t think I would trust any of the pop up canopies to survive a snow load in freezing temperatures. There are some roll out awnings you could investigate, with or without a frame, but they may be more pricey than you want.

Comment

My Gril hut has a metal panel roof. You can order the. From Home Depot cut to size.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	143B203F-5D40-49E7-AB69-7890D519AEA0.jpeg
Views:	280
Size:	198.5 KB
ID:	578553

Comment

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Jealousy is my only reaction

• cgrover60
          cgrover60 commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice. I like that design. Can you share the Hone Depot details LA Pork Butt?

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          cgrover60 the plans were out of Family Handyman Magazine along with a material list that I used to purchase the materials from Home Depot which they delivered. You might find the plans online at Family Handyman.

Here’s what I built over my deck. It’s a pergola with a tin roof. Plan on adding a back wall and a half wall on one side along with electric and cable.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	2BEA842A-8EF6-4F2B-B292-67A14A51B5C5.jpeg
Views:	261
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	578600

Comment

A lot depends on your budget and if you are going to build it yourself. If you attach to the house it gets a little tricky with the roof. I bought a little stand alone from wayfarer. I then put one of those sails next to it. I have enough room to cook in the stand alone and I put chairs under the sail to hang out while cooking. Click image for larger version

Name:	2CD79136-0784-4C6C-BBC6-FA4FA2821F28.jpeg
Views:	284
Size:	164.2 KB
ID:	578609

Comment

Thanks for the ideas, all.

Comment

In MO, anything that pops up has to be popped down to survive a storm or snow. I'm struggling with the same question, and am thinking getting off the deck and out into a gazebo (that you could take with you if you move) is the only real answer.

I'm starting to think grain silo gazebo kits, although ~ $ 2000.00 are pretty cool, although I'd spray paint it a neutral brown or tan.

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Wow that brings back memories. Back in the day, like WAY back, I worked for the Mitchell Building Co. in the Midwest and we did grain storage silos like that..big ones. You start with a ring on the ground, jack it up, put on another ring and keep jacking. They get up to 70-80 feet high. Thanks for the memories...or not....

• JGo37
                JGo37 commented
                Editing a comment
                Troutman I've been in parts where you're driving a couple hours and not seeing nothin' then a sign pops up and says 'Pokadunkit 10 Miles'. You get there and it turns out to be one grain silo.

Yep Grain silo would be my choice! Very cool!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here