Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Whipped up a new table

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whipped up a new table

I had some time to spare, and some old wooden boards. They were originally intended for a cutting board, but I decided they were too lightweight (low density), so I glued three of them together to make a table instead. I sanded them well, but I'm gonna keep them smooth but with that 'rough' look. The only thing missing is a layer of matte clear paint (is that what it's called? Transparent paint?). I want it spot resistant, but not shiny.

The legs are made of 8 mm square solid bar. It took a few hours to cut and weld, with so many pieces, but I'm real happy with the end result. I like the industrial design, and the thin (but solid) leg frame matches the thick (2") boards well.

The boards, glued together and sanded

Click image for larger version

Name:	Bord-1.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	201.0 KB
ID:	530933

The leg frame, starting to come together

Name:	Bord-2.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	212.0 KB
ID:	530934

The finished table, pic 1

Name:	Bord-9.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	530935

The finished table, pic 2

Name:	Bord-8.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	530936

I really enjoy welding when I have the time. Hard work, but almost as therapeutic as tending my offset smoker.

I think clearcoat is the word you're looking for (at least here in the States). Or there are clear varnishes.

Comment

Looks nice! I lack the welder and the knowledge to use a welder even if I had one. But I’m learning with wood. This is the last table I made.

The finish was done with a torch. In addition to a unique look all the spliners and stuff were burned off so no sanding necessary.

Name:	88DC9290-BE14-43E8-BBAD-77AD6C1CEC26.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	155.0 KB
ID:	530941

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I don't know if why but I assumed you were a carpenter. Maybe the beer in your hand in your profile pic looked like an after work tradesman beer to me.

Very nice Henrik ! What kind of wood is it?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I can’t say really. This was part of an inner wall in an old house. It’s at least 70 years old. I’m guessing pine.

My first inclination is a marine oriented poly, because the good ones are both durable and UV-resistant. Problem is, they are also mostly glossy. This brand (which does have a good reputation) appears to offer a satin, but not a matte, finish. https://www.systemthree.com/products...e-spar-varnish.

Here's an article on the subject. I did a couple of tables and a bunch of cabinets, starting with a polymerized teak oil, and finished with a marine 2-part epoxy. They've lasted forever.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Polyurethane is what I'd use in this instance as well.

This is a table that I made via my amazing skills, a screw driver & a wrench. 😎 Click image for larger version

Name:	B0C184BF-204A-4410-969A-7D2DFB6FFB91.jpeg
Views:	163
Size:	269.1 KB
ID:	530968

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Truly amazing.

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        Got to appreciate talent

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Craftmanship

Nice work Henrik and SmokeyGator! You are very talented. (You too Fireman, mad screwdriver skills!)

Comment

• SmokeyGator
        SmokeyGator commented
        Editing a comment
        You don’t know what you can do until you get a miter saw. The mini-picnic table wasn’t hard to make at all. Three 2”x4”x12’ and a box of screws

Nice work everyone.

FireMan - you get an "E" for effort.

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        I thought you’d like it.

OK here we go again, name that wood !!??

BTW really nice table ....,

Comment

• Fire Art
        Fire Art commented
        Editing a comment
        It’s fir

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here