Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New House - Outdoor Kitchen

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New House - Outdoor Kitchen

My wife and I are just starting into the building of our new home. Plans done, going to break ground at the end of the month. One of the things we are building is a covered porch in the back that is 25' wide x 15' and will have a 15' ceiling. I currently use a PG500 Pellet grill, but am thinking about building a complete outdoor kitchen on this outdoor kitchen.
    Budget is in the $15K range. The porch
    is surrounded on three sides by the house so really the opening is on a 25' side. My question is if you were going to do this what would you include in this and should I plan for some time of vent hood for the smoker?

Personally I would go for a smoker (don’t necessarily need to replace your pellet cooker if you are happy with it), a gas grill, a few side burners, a griddle, and a wood fired pizza oven. If you want everything to be built in (as opposed to on a wheeled stand) that’s fine, but it adds to the cost meaning you have to cut elsewhere.

Also do yourself a BIG favor. Remember to include electricity and plumbing. You really want a sink. Also counter space.

Play with your budget. Price out stand alone stuff VS built in stuff, granite VS wood counters, pizza oven or not, and so on. Come up with something you will be happy with and go for it! I wish I had $15 grand to upgrade my outdoor game!

Comment

• Centex Hokie
      Centex Hokie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I like my pellet grill, it's limitations are those of the cook. I will for sure be adding a gas grill, a refrigerator, some storage and a sink. The electrical, gas, and plumbing are already in the plans and not a part of my budget for this.

Check out The outdoor kitchen thread (post your cooking space!)

Comment

• Centex Hokie
      Centex Hokie commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks. I'll check that out.

I don’t fully understand, but your description gives me Ann image of being very much enclosed like a room with one wall removed. That makes me think you either need to move the smoker outside the room or have a large power driven vent.

Comment

• Centex Hokie
      Centex Hokie commented
      Editing a comment
      Your image is close. One side is completely enclosed by the MBr, the long wall is completely enclosed by the Great Room, and the 3rd side is enclosed except for 3' 9" by the dining room. The other wall is completely open and that is why I am trying to determine if I need a vent.

Oh no, I can feel the MCS coming on...someone quick! Hide my wallet!

Comment

We're doing pretty much the same thing next month. I plan on 2/3 of the perimeter to be base cabinets that I'll build to be weatherproof. If you can, run H&C water and a sink drain to a common wall of the house and freeze protect if that's an issue in your area. At 15' ceiling height I don't think smoke will be much of a problem, but it is something you can address as needed. Our ceiling will be vaulted and have an open gable so I'm not worried about smoke.

Carefully plan your electrical needs, i.e. plugs, lighting and switches, and appliances. Plan any built-ins and gas plumbing needs if that applies. I'm keeping everything mobile to provide for maximum flexibility and counter space. Think about countertop material. We're going to use some leftover granite from our kitchen remodel and maybe that's something to think about when you plan your house kitchen counters.

$15K is a reasonable budget. That's about what I need to do the whole job, construction included, but as a contractor who has the necessary tools I do all of my own work. Obviously, the more you can do yourself the more you can stretch that budget. Keep in mind that you only want to do this once. Meaning if you need to invest a little more to get what you want, and get it right the first time, then find a way to scrounge a little more. I cant' count the times I've seen folks settle for less, only to be unhappy and eventually spend the money to upgrade anyway. And that's a lot more expensive.

Keep us all posted as you go through your build, it's always fun to see what ideas folks come up with. Good Luck!!

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
        LA Pork Butt commented
        Editing a comment
        I had a friend who built a 25’ x 25’ cook hut opened on all four sides and with a ceiling fan. He had problems with smoke. His grills were not on the outer edge of the hut.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        If I had to guess LA Pork Butt, I would say the ceiling fan played a role in that. I wouldn't use one for that application as they are designed to circulate air rather than disperse it. We had them on a previous home's porch and they would blow my cigar smoke every which way. Just a thought.

• Centex Hokie
        Centex Hokie commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I have access to lots of metal fabricating capability (I own a machinery manufacturing company) including CNC machines and plan to do a lot of this myself. We are in central Texas so there is some freeze protection needed, but it is minimal. I agree with you that I only want to do this once. Hoping for $15K but willing to go higher to get what we want.

LA Pork Butt, seems like a big enough area to disperse the smoke, I wonder what were the contributing factors. I have smoked on my covered porch for years without a problem. We have a breeze that moves it out nicely, but even when absent the smoke rolls out without creating a problem. You make a good point about a covered 3-sided area though, and perhaps Centex Hokie should study some smoke removal options prior to building.

Comment

This is a snippet of the space. The only thing missing from the drawing is that the covered patio will be down three stairs from the family room and the master bedroom due to the lot contours. Click image for larger version

Name:	Covered Patio.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	511520

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Concrete or stone floors? That's going to be a nice space.

• Centex Hokie
          Centex Hokie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks, The house exterior is Natural Stone, charcoal Leuders, the patio will be slate or stone tile.

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Very nice. We have the similar lot issues that are forcing us into a traditional deck. Still trying to decide on composite or wood. Both have their strengths and weaknesses. Slate or stone would be my personal preference if it would have fit our application.

I likes

Comment

• Centex Hokie
          Centex Hokie commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks. We’re excited and nervous about the build.

Are the three sides enclosed all the way to the 15' ceiling? If not, you might not need a ventilation system. You might need ventilation for each cooker if the space is fully enclose on three sides.

Comment

• bten
          bten commented
          Editing a comment
          I have a covered porch and was considering putting a kitchen under it. I moved my grill to where I was going to have the built in, and did a cook. Smoke filled the area up and when we opened the door to the house, smoke went there as well. If you don't have a good cross wind, you will need some sort of vent.

• Centex Hokie
          Centex Hokie commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB yes
          @bten,
          I was thinking about putting the gasser and the smoker at the open edge. The alternative is to pour an extension uncovered

After thinking about it for a couple of days, I would really like to be protected from the elements. I've decided to build the kitchen around the fireplace with the smoker and the gas grill under vents that will vent up the same chase as the Master Bedroom fireplace. That is the plus of thinking through it at this stage as all of the possibilities are possible. Probably going to put the sink in the middle between the two grills. Meeting with the builder tomorrow.

Comment

I have a similar space that is open (screened in) on one end with a small built in two burner gasser under a very large vent hood. I learned the hard way that when the fan on the vent hood burned out cooking out there while entertaining is difficult since you can no longer see who you are trying to chat with... lol My advice would be to spend every penny you can on decent ventilation. You won't regret it.

Comment

I built a covered outdoor kitchen, polynesian style. The ridge extends beyond the truss, in order to provide covered vents at each end of the roof(see photo). The ceiling fan has two directions. When generating smoke during a cook, I make sure that the fan is pulling air up and out of the open vents at each end. Hope this helps.
          Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I like that idea, it kind of like a Dutch gable. I'm thinking continuous ridge vents and fans but might incorporate something like this.

Whatever you build, you need some Hokie memorabilia and send an invite to me!!!!! I’ll bring you something hokie!

Comment

Beer fridge!!!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here