Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grilling Area (Outdoor Kitchen) Build has Begun

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks great so far! Congrats!

Comment

I'm jealous! One day I hope to do something similar, and actually have my cookers covered under a roof of some sort as well.

Comment

• Black99vette
        Black99vette commented
        Editing a comment
        A roof would be nice.

Looks fantastic, just keep at it

Comment

Awesome! Is the frame pre-fabricated, or did you cut to size?

Comment

• Black99vette
          Black99vette commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks! I framed it up myself with metal studs.

• JPGators17
          JPGators17 commented
          Editing a comment
          Even more impressive. I've never worked with metal studs, but I've been brainstorming for the same project myself, but I've never worked with metal studs before. Are they difficult to work with compared to wood?

JPGators17 - I have never used metal studs before either. Working with wood would be easier, but seeing the pictures of burnt up kitchens stopped me. The metal studs are just slower, I marked, scored, snipped the sides, and then snapped. Then you have to clamp the corners and screw both sides.

If I did it again:

I would consider buying a sear to cut the studs (Malco SRC24A Channel Shear). Yes it is pricey. I was dumb and did most of my work on the ground (Patio). At the very end I setup a table (Saw horses and melamine) in the garage for building the concrete counter tops molds. The table came in handy for snapping long thin pieces of ¼ backer board (Hardie board). Using a long level I’d clamp the board down on the edge of the table and then use another straight edge to bend and snap the board. Also I would screw down some scrap wood and form a 90 degree corner. Then you can hold / push the metal studs against them.

I was going to pour the counter tops in place but then seen a video about using mortar mix to make counter tops (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T7mYB6x68DY). I was afraid of not getting the counters smooth and spending half my life grinding them. It was a lot of work making the molds and pouring each top. The mortar mix sets up fast – I have a bucket concrete to prove it. If I did it again I would pour them in place with the help of a few friends.

Comment

• Dan Deter
          Dan Deter commented
          Editing a comment
          Wait, that counter top was poured by you? That's awesome! I'm going to have to watch that video...

• Black99vette
          Black99vette commented
          Editing a comment
          Dan Deter thanks! And yes I poured my outdoor kitchen counter tops. The YouTube video does a good job, I would recommend taking good notes (I did). The water ratio is very important. On my last pour I was running out of mortar mix and added more water than before. It turned out to be the smoothest piece of concrete in the whole project.

• bten
          bten commented
          Editing a comment
          I am doing one right now, I used a diablo saw blade for metal studs in my circular saw and it has worked great. I still used aviator snips and scoring for the channels.

Getting closer!

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190926_180428.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	145.3 KB
ID:	748642

Name:	20190926_180512.jpg
Views:	315
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	748643

I just picked up a 26" Weber kettle to go into that opening. While setting up the babies room I ran across some jars of coins. Long story short, $318, hello new grill! Now I just need a Blackstone griddle on the end.

Name:	20190926_180613_HDR.jpg
Views:	342
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	748644
        Wide angle shot

Name:	20190926_180710_HDR.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	172.0 KB
ID:	748645
        I probably should have cleaned off the stone before taking the pics. At some point the fence on the right will come down and I'll have a paver patio there.

Name:	20190926_180758.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	142.8 KB
ID:	748646

Name:	20190926_180846.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	167.4 KB
ID:	748647

Comment

Man that looks great!

Comment

• Black99vette
            Black99vette commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! More work than I expected.

That looks awesome!

Comment

• Black99vette
            Black99vette commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I was going to use a different color stone but Home Depot had those on clearance last fall - score.

• ColonialDawg
            ColonialDawg commented
            Editing a comment
            I dig it.

I'd be very happy with that.

Comment

• Black99vette
            Black99vette commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks! I'd be happier if it didn't take so long.

Beautiful! Well done!

Comment

• Black99vette
            Black99vette commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks!

Well it has been a few years (And three kids!!!) since anything has been done to the kitchen. I have made some updates to the kitchen and surrounding area.

Original fire pit area - too small, one had to sit in the fire rocks
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20230424_180716.jpg Views:	10 Size:	148.0 KB ID:	1475742
          Under construction
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20230501_200810.jpg Views:	9 Size:	148.9 KB ID:	1475743

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230506_085223.jpg Views:	9 Size:	132.7 KB ID:	1475744
          Added concrete around the kitchen - there was a fence around this area, as it was home to a
          hot tub for years
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20230501_200635.jpg Views:	9 Size:	119.3 KB ID:	1475745

Say goodbye to the old concrete countertops and tile backsplash. I made molds and used mortar
          mix for the old countertops. One section developed a good size crack and some other sections
          were delaminating (Probably not enough water when I mix them. Title was ceramic and cracked
          Click image for larger version  Name:	20230705_124357.jpg Views:	9 Size:	147.5 KB ID:	1475746

New countertops poured in place using Z Counterforums. I used a sand top mix with the
          Z Liqui-Crete additive and fiber mesh. https://concretecountertopsolutions.com/

Click image for larger version  Name:	20230720_200048.jpg Views:	9 Size:	121.7 KB ID:	1475747

The new porcelain tile backsplash is installed (No pics yet). I'm going to stain the concrete
          white and use a grey (Dove) stain to make marble like veins. I have y the NG gas and I'm
          adding a quick connect in the cutout area (right). This will allow me to run my Blackstone
          and someday pizza oven off NG.

More pics to come in the following weeks.
          Last edited by Black99vette; August 31, 2023, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Very nice!

Comment

Very nice space!

Comment

That is REALLY a sweet set up!
            Congrats!!

Comment

Beautiful fireplace and kitchen coming together nicely! Can all LP gas fed units be switched to NG?

Comment

• Black99vette
              Black99vette commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Yes, I switched the grill over last year to NG. I have the kit to switch over he Blackstone once I finish installing the quick connect. It's so great no worrying about running out of gas. And I'm eyeing up a NG pizza oven for my birthday.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here