Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ISO simple storage for charcoal & accessories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ISO simple storage for charcoal & accessories

Hey friends, as I start using my new SnS kettle, I now need a solution for storing charcoal, starters, wood chunks, tools etc. that is able to keep everything dry. As usual, space is at a premium - I can keep everything in my garage but it's getting pretty crowded in there, and I'd prefer not have to schlep that stuff through the house to get out back.

I've seen this sort of thing on Amazon at this ridiculously long link, here's a screengrab:

Click image for larger version

Name:	storage bin.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	1285059

It measures 17x22x20.5" (43x56x52cm), which ought to be tall enough to hold an unopened bag of charcoal if I scrunch down the top of the bag (and of course no prob once I have used the first load).

Interested to know what others do for this. Thanks!

I use this patio box from Suncast. It has worked well.

Name:	IMG_3948.jpg
Views:	439
Size:	170.2 KB
ID:	1285064

Comment

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      jhapka that's why I bought 3 of them. 1 for my grilling tools and charcoal, one for her outdoor cushions, and one for my boat stuff. The struggle is real.

• gcdmd
      gcdmd commented
      Editing a comment
      hoovarmin DaveD

The other problem is having to move all the "stuff" off the lid whenever you want to open it.

I'm speaking from experience on that, BTW, as I have a larger version for garden tools.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      gcdmd my solution for that problem is to just lift the lid and have it all fall down in the dirt. That trained the kids not to put stuff on dad's grill box.

Like I said before, a new concrete pad is needed. Just trying to help.....

Comment

Here ya go Dave

Click image for larger version  Name:	FD6ABC55-1E52-4816-A92B-AC95CE25C97C.png Views:	0 Size:	1.77 MB ID:	1285080
      Last edited by Panhead John; August 31, 2022, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• hoovarmin
        hoovarmin commented
        Editing a comment
        I like this one. Not necessarily the style, but the fact that it does double-duty is a plus.

• DaveD
        DaveD commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you Professor Gadget! Maybe if I pour a new slab out there...

I have several of the item you initially listed for storage. I use them for storing submersible pumps and related hoses. I just believe they are smaller than you want for any charcoal storage.
      i also have several of these https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...e?ie=UTF8&th=1 which are good for storage of larger items but these have a tendency of the lid not latching well and the wind blowing them open.
      For best storage for charcoal or pellets you should look at the ones made to resist weather. Something similar to these but they don’t have to be Suncast if other brands would be cheaper. https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1 I have two of the older style of these, and one additional of the new style. Personally I like the older style better but they don’t make them anymore. If deciding on going this route look for one that allows for adding a shelf. It really helps with organizing.
      Last edited by Donw; August 31, 2022, 08:33 AM. Reason: Had a heckmof a time posting the Amazon link for some reason

Comment

I use a deck storage box which is plenty big to keep my stuff together. The backup coal storage is in my garage so I bring out bags as I use them up. I still want to get something to hold stuff like tongs and spatulas on the underside of the lid so they are a little more organized

Name:	D5AD48D7-088E-41C9-91BD-C536DA2BC2D4.jpg
Views:	429
Size:	203.6 KB
ID:	1285162

Name:	44D0F83A-0606-44E3-9298-7A4182F5338D.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	227.1 KB
ID:	1285163

Comment

• gcdmd
          gcdmd commented
          Editing a comment
          You might be able to rig (i.e., southern engineer) something with strips of wood suspended from the inside of the lid with U-bolts passed through the ribs and the wood strips.

• Andrrr
          Andrrr commented
          Editing a comment
          gcdmd funny you comment on this as I was just revisiting it earlier this week and brainstorming

I don't have much space and it's going to have to sit on an unfinished surface, so I went with this cubular (hey, it's a word now!) unit:

Name:	storage bin.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	138.8 KB
ID:	1286159
        Basically 27"/69cm on a side with a hinged lid. Should be plenty of room for what I want to put in there. Also got a tub 12.55"D x 14.45"W x 5.67"H (32x37x14.5cm) to sit inside it, in which I'll sit anything "ashy" like the chimney, charcoal tongs, etc. to hopefully keep the grit out of everything else as much as possible. Right now all I have else to store in there are a couple bags of B&B and a couple bags of wood chunks. I could probably store a 40lb bag of pellets in there too, now that I think about it.

And it turns out a friend of mine has this same unit, and she says it is as weatherproof as it claims to be.

Comment

• shify
          shify commented
          Editing a comment
          Your last point is key. I have an old deck box for my kids toys that is about as waterproof as a screen door despite its claims. So before buying/loading one with charcoal, make sure to validate those claims. A friends attestation is a great starting point!

• DaveD
          DaveD commented
          Editing a comment
          Absolutely - first thing will be to get out the hose and simulate heavy rain, then open it up and check it out. My friend Jenni says she's had hers for several years with zero leaks. A good starting point indeed!

• UFLawdog
          UFLawdog commented
          Editing a comment
          I have two, work like a charm

Hey there, dropping back in to show the new box, assembled and in place. Passed the simulated rainstorm test with flying colors. Very roomy, so it'll be easy to store what I need in there for some time to come I expect.

Major pain in the butt to assemble though. Pretty much impossible for one person, and a couple of really bad design choices in terms of assembly... fortunately my lovely bride was there and available at the two most critical junctures

Name:	20220922_174454.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	146.7 KB
ID:	1297930

Name:	20220922_174616.jpg
Views:	327
Size:	78.6 KB
ID:	1297931

Comment

I use those black tubs with the red lids. Easy to move around. One for wood chips/chunks and one for misc tools (hatchet, lighter, gloves, paper towels, etc). My charcoal and larger chunks are in 5 gallon buckets.

Shop IRIS 4-Pack X-large 27-Gallons (108-Quart) Black Heavy Duty Tote with Standard Snap Lid in the Plastic Storage Containers department at Lowe's.com. Take toughness to another level. These heavy duty Utility Tough Totes made of durable plastic help keep contents safe and secure. Plastic boxes hold up to 27

Comment

• DaveD
            DaveD commented
            Editing a comment
            Yep, I'd seen things like that, but wanted a single bin if possible so that everything is in one place. I've got a couple of small tubs I can sit inside this box to help with organizing.

• Davek8282
            Davek8282 commented
            Editing a comment
            I have the ones with yellow lids from Costco, they have worked well for me. They stack nicely as well. I keep the commonly used items in the top bin and the infrequent use ones in the bottom.

Name:	image.png
Views:	258
Size:	61.0 KB
ID:	1298167​
          Just go to Menards and get it over with.

Comment

I have been in search of something for back deck storage too. I have a large pellet grill, a charcoal grill and a stick burner. Along with extra grates, attachments, etc. I do use a couple of dog food storage containers for fuel - pellets, flavor wood chunks, and charcoal. And I have a large plastic deck box for storing some of these things. However, on occasion I have large items that I need to store that are hot (warm) or greasy and I would like to upgrade to something metal that won't melt. Also needs to be weather proof.

Anybody have something that meets this bill?

Comment

Andrrr I built an extra 2 car garage for storage years ago. Motorcycle, riding mower, a few cookers, and lots of "stuff". The d**n thing has been full since not long after I built it. 🙄🤷‍♂️

Comment

• Andrrr
            Andrrr commented
            Editing a comment
            Oh I know I’d fill it up quick. My only saving grace is that I’m pretty good about going through everything in the garage at the changing of the seasons and getting rid of stuff I haven’t used.

Here in the northern Virginia burbs of DC, we just got through with about five days of steady but gentle rain from the remnants of hurricane Ian. Not a word of complaint mind you, we really needed the rain and it came down at such an easy pace that there were zero problems, ground had no trouble keeping up.

This rain provided a perfect test of the new storage box, which again passed with flying colors after about 100 hours of non-stop rain. Dry as a bone in there. Thumbs up!

Comment

Looks awesome - a litttle more than I was looking for! I just need a small deck storage unit. :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here