Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stainless Cabinetry Suppliers for Outdoor Kitchens?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stainless Cabinetry Suppliers for Outdoor Kitchens?

Hi folks,

We are moving along on the design plans for my dream outdoor kitchen. My architect and contractor are convinced that only stainless steel cabinetry will stand up to the horrid Florida heat and humidity. I am sure they are right.

The area will be covered and screened in, but not air conditioned. The main kitchen area will be a 10 by 13 foot U shape. Included in that footprint will be a full sized refrigerator, a double sink, a Lone Star Grillz 24x48 Adjustable Grill and likely a Pit Boss 5 Burner Ultimate Griddle. We will only do lower cabinets. Both the grill and griddle will need custom bases.

The question is whether to go with "off the shelf" type stuff, and if so, what brands are good and offer a good selection of sizes for filling the U in while dealing with the custom pieces for the grill and griddle. I have folks who could fabricate those custom bases. The other approach would be a full design custom service, but I shudder at what that would cost. Maybe someone here has experience with a service that won't break the bank entirely. I'd love to get something really nice looking and durable for this. Ideally this part of the project would come in at under $15,000 but I'm just not really calibrated yet on what that could buy.

The architect wants me choose the cabinetry source soon and to get a shop drawing he can work with to finalize construction plans and engineering for the project.

I'm interested as well. I bought my cabinet doors for dirt cheap at a recycled materials place in town. I'm talking a few dollars a piece and got the European hinges there as well also for next to nothing. I sanded and painted and they came out pretty well. But the humidity here has taken its toll. One door had come apart when I returned from California at the beginning of August. I've glued it back together and it all looks okay again but it's obvious I'll want stainless some day.

Comment

Several years ago I became a fan of Newage cabinets. I've outfitted my shop building with a variety of versions and they've been outstanding. As a result, when I put together my patio kitchen I decided to use their outdoor cabinet modules. Here's a link to their stainless versions: Outdoor Kitchen | Stainless Steel Outdoor Kitchen Cabinets | NewAge Products (US) And they are the more corrosion resistant 304 grade stainless, not the cheaper 430 grade too often offered. That said/shown, I opted for the powder coated aluminum style which was more cost friendly. Between the aluminum and glass, with the stainless counter tops I've had no weather caused issues, and with the wind we get in these parts, even with a sizable overhanging roof, these have gotten plenty of rain blown in on them with no ill effects. But, not salt water/air.
      Last edited by Uncle Bob; August 26, 2022, 05:36 PM.

Comment

• Jim White
        Jim White commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, Bob. I may have them work up a quote.

• MsTwiggy
        MsTwiggy commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to suggest this, the aluminum and glass is what I was taken by. Great minds think alike!!

Some off-the-shelf pieces.

Grilla Grills

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        2k for that one is pretty good.

• ofelles
        ofelles commented
        Editing a comment
        it's 430 SS construction not 304 or 316

Just a long shot but look up a used commercial food service equipment dealer. There are all types of s/s equipment stands and cabinetry that have been taken out of closed restaurants. Maybe you can get lucky.

Comment

Not sure if this is helpful. We bought our larger cabinet to the right of the sink from this company. Maybe they have something?

Click image for larger version

Name:	BC8288C8-FF94-4755-90B1-67D0F20FD902.jpg
Views:	258
Size:	187.7 KB
ID:	1282420

Comment

I had FireMagic doors & drawers at my last place. One of the drawers required extra force to get it open all the way and some of them showed rust on the inside after a few years. This was in CA, so they are likely not suited to your climate IMO.

Comment

Okay, I got two price quotes. One from John MIchael, and one from New Age. The John Michael quote included fabricating the cooker bases and the New Age did not. New Age is more off the shelf, and so we're going with their set sizes of things. Thekr quote also has granite tops included while John Michael did not. John Michael was $40,000. Just wow. Not in my budget at all. But New Age came in at $9900! I nearly fell over since it came in after the high one. Needless to say, I've already put in the order and delivery is expected between October 28 and November 3.

Thank you so much, Uncle Bob for suggesting them. I'm thinking we just need to start a sticky "Ask Uncle Bob" thread since you seem to have all the answers lately.

And here is one of the renderings from New Age. They stuck in art for their cookers, but mine are the Pit Boss 5 Burner and Lone Star Grillz Adjustable. They hit very close to the fridge I have my eye on. The cheaper model I'm looking at has the same door arrangement but does not dispense ice and water through the door. Of course, their surroundings are not my back yard. And the long serving table they have there will actually be a storage bench, because there will be a hot tub that sits in the space between the bench and the run of cabinets with the sink.

Name:	Jim White render (4) (004).jpg
Views:	266
Size:	153.5 KB
ID:	1284638

This is all 304 Stainless Steel, inside and out. The cool corner cabinets are an open design, which should make the corners more accessible. They have SS tops, but that's fine.

Those cabinet units are modular, so I will go with only one unit across from the fridge and then the sink, with two units then approaching the corner instead of one.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim, it isn't that I have "all the answers", it's just that I've done more "stupid stuff" than the normal person (and who wants to be one of those?).

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              Wow. Kind of pricey, eh? Again, my cabinet doors cost me less than $100 including all the doors and about 5 or 6 extra, the hinges, and the paint. All cabinet work was done by me so I could build custom to fit the cheap doors. As mentioned earlier, they are not a permanent solution.

Personally, I would head to ebay and buy some doors like this instead of spending 10k - 40k but that's just cheap DIY me.

Upgrade your patio storage or outdoor kitchen cabinets with this premium access door. Perfect for indoor or outdoor kitchen islands, pizza ovens, BBQ grills, and bars, it fits neatly into a cutout without any exposed sharp corners.
              Last edited by Attjack; August 30, 2022, 08:07 PM.

• Attjack
              Attjack commented
              Editing a comment
              *I meant to say I would build it myself and buy more inexpensive doors as described above.

Okay, time for help from the hive mind here. Here is the schematic for the cabinetry and cookers.

Name:	2022-08-31 07.47.34.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	44.4 KB
ID:	1285109

Note that the cabinets are 32 inch modules. As drawn, there are two modules on the end before getting to the sink. I plan to move one of those modules to the other side so that the sink is closer to the fridge.

But the bigger issue with how this is drawn is that the cabinets (and the granite tops for them) are 24 inches deep. You can see the fridge is drawn as being a full 36 inches deep. The drawing falsely has the griddle and grill also as only 24 inches deep but they both will need 36.

So, the question is, do we pull those two lines of cabinets a foot away from the outside walls? That then creates the dilemma that the counter tops are too short. They were so cheap (under $300 per module top) that I don't want to see if I can cancel them and get a local supplier to do full size granite or other material to go all the way to the walls because that will surely be a difference of several thousand dollars. I really think I would prefer the look of a smooth front edge all around, rather than the fridge, griddle and grill each sticking out a foot from the rest. But maybe that's just a normal thing to do? I'm also thinking about a simple backsplash or even a one foot trim piece of stainless (or maybe even brushed aluminum that could corrode and get swapped out a few times for less money) around those two sides and tying into the stainless tops of the corner cabinets. That would stop things falling off the backs of the counters into the abyss below.

Please weigh in with your opinions. I probably need to lock in the plan within a few days.

Comment

• Uncle Bob
              Uncle Bob commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim, you might be fine with the griddle against a wall even allowing for the lid swing, we'll see. On the Lone Star, it might be better for you to relocate it to a portion of the cabinet array that doesn't have a back wall/obstruction so the lid has open swing room.

• Panhead John
              Panhead John commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim, if this helps, I just put my 2 burner griddle against a garage wall. I needed 6 1/4” of space from the back of the griddle lid [when closed] to the wall. This gave me just enough room to open the lid without touching the wall. Not sure if the 5 burner would be different or not.

• Jim White
              Jim White commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, John. Sounds like my wild guess was pretty close.

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here