Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heater suggestion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SierraBBQGuy what did you end up doing about this last winter?

I mounted a TV in our outdoor pavilion, where I have AC power and two ceiling fans, but its already cool enough at night to where I feel we could use some heat. Overhead are timbers and a metal roof, with the ridge vented. Last year I put out a little Campchef portable fire pit, and it was nice to heat things up a bit, and once the lava rock got hot, it put out a bit of radiant heat:

https://www.campchef.com/portable-pr.../CC-GCLOG.html

Click image for larger version  Name:	gclog-gas-log-fire-ring-kit.jpg Views:	0 Size:	11.1 KB ID:	1304020

I had bought that for use AWAY from the house though, places I needed some heat and couldn't build a campfire. To use that in the pavilion, I gotta move the coffee table and roll up the outdoor rug, as I sure don't want that burning on top of a rug. And its pretty small.

My wife saw a fire pit coffee table at her brother's house that looks like this one, and wants something like this. I just don't think its gonna put out that much heat for someone sitting down on an outdoor chair or sectional. It's tall to handle the propane tank being inside the table, and all the heat will go up. Maybe a little radiant once the fire glass heats up, but questionable.

https://www.academy.com/p/mosaic-42-...ku=black-brown

Click image for larger version  Name:	20543416.webp Views:	0 Size:	88.8 KB ID:	1304021

Anyway, I remembered this discussion from last year, and thought I would resurrect it to see what you did, and see what other folk thought as we revisit this topic.

Last winter I looked at a variety of options, but the problem with the tall patio heaters with the reflector is that they are all 7' tall, and would either be obstructing view of the TV, or be sitting right under or next to the two central ceiling fans. The fans are at about 8' off the ground, as are the perimeter support 2x8's that tie all the posts together and support the rafters.

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      See mine below. Ours puts out a good amount of heat, 50,000 BTUs, especially if you put your feet up on it.

I just recently got one of those round tables that has a gas fire pit in the center w/ removable cover (similar to what jfmorris posted above just round) and we love that thing. There's been many a glass o' wine and bourbon had at that in the last 3 weeks. Tis the seaosn here.

edited to add pic

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMAG8944.jpg
Views:	119
Size:	104.9 KB
ID:	1304026

Comment

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris, Wow, you're right. I wonder if they stocked up w/ new models, it was only $250 (so it said). We also bought a 9x12' outdoor area rug to go under it, essentially getting that for free, so yeah I'm glad we acted when we did.

• Huskee
      Huskee commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I just looked up my walmart.com orer history, and I lied, I didn't pay $125 for it. I paid $124. Wow am I glad I did.

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Huskee - the one I had a picture of from Academy was $249 yesterday. This morning I got a sale email from Academy, and boom - several of the fire pits tables were $50 off, so I ordered that rectangular one the wife liked for $199 instead of $249. Decided to have it ship for store pickup, as most of the issues I saw with negative complaints related to stuff damaged in shipment. At least I can inspect the box and refuse it if damaged when I pick it up, and get a refund right then and there.

I've been looking at these units for (2) years now. The heat radiates outward 10-12" radius more than blowing out of the top. I'll probably pull the trigger on one here soon. Fueled by pellets.
    Timber heaters outdoor fireplaces & patio heaters are more efficient and environmentally friendly than any other outdoor heater.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Those look cool, and I like the idea of a wood pellet heater, but the price point is way beyond what I want to spend on a little heat out back at the moment.

I've also thought of building an outdoor fireplace. Firewood is pretty cheap and available, and I still have a pile of it under a tarp that needs burning since I converted the inside fireplace to gas in 2020. I made a few fires in an old chiminea style fire pit last year, but usually I was the only one sitting out there looking at the flames in the dark, haha. Plus I can't put that firepit under a roof.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
    No announcement yet.
    Working...
    X
    false
    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
    false
    false
    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
    Yes
    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here