Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Combating flies in an outdoor kitchen/patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rickgregory
    replied
    I mean, all of those methods sound nice but why not go for something more in keeping with the whole grilling theme?

Click image for larger version

Name:	stock-photo-flamethrower-in-action-flamethrower-operational-test-1243370056.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	437.8 KB
ID:	1077457

Leave a comment:

• Panhead John
    replied
    Use a 2 pronged approach. As others have mentioned, get these fly trap bags at Lowe’s, Home Depot and elsewhere. Keep them hanging at least 25-50 feet away. They work! Also get some of these fly tents to cover your food outside. I have these as well. Available on Amazon.
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• RonB
    replied
    I used to put out Japanese Beetle traps and always caught a ton of them, but got no relief. Finally, I had an extension agent tell me that the traps attract the beetles and to put the traps a good distance away from whatever I wanted to protect to draw them away.

Do you have a neighbor you don't like? (Where's the Evil Grin emoji when I need it...)
    Last edited by RonB; August 14, 2021, 02:54 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Steve R.
    replied
    I wish I had a good solution. One thing I am sure of is that I need that apron!

Leave a comment:

• DavidNorcross
    commented on 's reply
    +1 here. They work great. The smell is rank for sure but they do the job. I would position away from where you are to draw the flies away from you and they will work great. I put one near my chicken coop and it got so full the string broke! Chickens were pleased though.

• Oak Smoke
    commented on 's reply
    I will own some of those tomorrow. We are over run with flies. I took a brisket off about an hour ago. I threw it in an aluminum foil pan and covered it at once, flies were everywhere.

• Donw
    replied
    I use the Rescue fly bags I buy at Tractor Supply. Yes they do smell bad, and boy do they work. We hang them about 75 - 100 feet away from where we normally occupy and they keep our entire backyard clear of flies without any smell where we are.

Leave a comment:

• Mojo0209
    replied
    For some reason the flies have been crazy here compared to previous years. How to get rid of them? Not sure we have a good plan here.

Leave a comment:

• holehogg
    replied
    Not sure if your flies are as dumb as the ones we have or the same breed.
    I put apple cider vineger into a container with a drop of dishwashing liquid. Make a funnel to fit container so the thin end rests just above the liqiud. Works here but I don't have a whole flocking lot to deal with.

Leave a comment:

• HawkerXP
    replied
    That would be called "dry brined" decking.

We have some of those tent type things for covering the food....... but that's all I've got.

Leave a comment:

• Twisted Martini
    started a topic Combating flies in an outdoor kitchen/patio

Combating flies in an outdoor kitchen/patio

We are totally loving our new outdoor kitchen and patio, but we seem to have been overrun by houseflies. We tried buying the bait bags from Amazon which trapped a ton of them but them smelled like a dead body. Anyone have any tips for how to deter these pests? Looking at a Bugasalt gun but my fear is that the entire space will be covered in salt!

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here