Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Started work on our new patio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Started work on our new patio

So, this has been planned for quite some time. A few hickups as we were waiting for some painters to re-paint the house, but then they bailed. Disappeared off the grid. When that happened we decided to get started with the patio anyway. A lot of the framing is in place, but most of the horizontal beams on top hasn't been fastened yet. Will do that this weekend.

Then the plan is to build a "stair case" (two steps) all around it so it is easily accessible. When that is done we can start putting the floor planks in place.

It's tough work when we have 34° C / 93° F outside, too hot almost. But it's nice to see progress. The patio measures 8.5 by 8.5 meters (that's 28x28 feet).

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9531.JPG Views:	0 Size:	704.0 KB ID:	1060161

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_9532.JPG Views:	0 Size:	766.9 KB ID:	1060162

We're building around the tree on purpose. And no grills will be allowed on the patio, as it is a wooden patio :-)

It's really nice to work with wood again, nice change from all the metal work.

Very nice! Just one question: when you leave the house, do you leave the door open?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I’m sure there’s a joke in here somewhere, I just don’t get it. No, the door stays shut.

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      Just checking. Here, if you did leave the door open, a typical response would be "Were you raised in a barn?" It just doesn't have the same feel when you are required to explain it!

Lookin' good Henrik Two comments though:

Looks like no welding will be involved??

Yur not puttin' the grills on the wooden deck? That takes some of the fun and all of the possible excitement out of a cook.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Correct, no welding. I’d did do some serious concrete drilling in a few places. Manly stuff, does that count? 😄

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Maybe - if ya did it with your shirt off.

• JimLinebarger
      JimLinebarger commented
      Editing a comment
      RonB Oooh, mind scar!

Looks like you are off to a great start. Can't wait to see the finished deck!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Jim!

Sweet! I love it.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks John!

Good looking project. And, it's good to know Sub's are flaky the world over!!! Your plumbers and electricians are probably just as bad too! It's like they're all independently wealthy and only get into the trades to mess with people. Carry on, good fellow!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you hit the head on the proverbial nail there, Mike!

It's going to look pretty cool with that tree coming through the deck. What type of tree is it? Looks like some type of fruit tree.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup, it’s an apple tree. We have 6 different apple trees in the garden, this one produces real tasty apples. Don’t know the name though.

You may not have started MCS, but I think you just started grill area envy.

Comment

I like the tree being part of the build, natural shade. Patio and deck projects always seem to be when it's at the hottest. We ran into issues with interior painters a few years back. They would leave for lunch and not come back and once not come back for 2 days. What should have been a 3 day job was turning into much longer. To prevent their liquid lunch from costing time and money we would cook for them just to make sure they would not leave and finish a full day of painting.

Comment

• Jerod Broussard
        Jerod Broussard commented
        Editing a comment
        He said liquid lunch........ Huh huh huh

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Yep, drywallers too! And don't pay them anything until the job is done, no matter how much they beg! My brother was the best tape and texture guy around, a true artist, but man could he flake!! I would recommend him to anyone, but with the caveat that if they gave him any money they might not see him for a few days, maybe even a week. He never not finished a job, but man, he could be frustrating! He's truly gone now, and I miss him so very much.

Going to enjoy this, looking forward to more pics.

Comment

Nice! Congrats. Two things of note- painters bail here in the states too. And Max had a deck built around a tree. I don't but one of my apple trees hangs over it so far it's as if the deck's built around it. You're in good company.

Edit: a 3rd thing- 93F isn't "almost" too hot. It's plain ol' TOO HOT to work.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
          SmokingSteve commented
          Editing a comment
          Huskee That's a cool summer day here in the Phoenix area!
          Last edited by SmokingSteve; July 14, 2021, 11:14 PM. Reason: Didn't know how to spell, LOL!

• Huskee
          Huskee commented
          Editing a comment
          SmokingSteve Yuck! Like whre Henrik lives, here in central MI that's certainly not abnormal, we get 90s a lot, especially the last few years. I just don't want to work outside in it! I feel for you guys in Phoenix, I couldn't survive there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	9DADB68D-69FC-4CC9-A228-831D7299896D.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	255.5 KB
ID:	1063533 Got more work done, the entire frame is now completed. Next steps will be to build the stairs connecting the upper deck to the lower deck. But first: a well deserved break

Name:	80EDD69F-6F83-4E10-9AB1-EB49F6352188.jpeg
Views:	316
Size:	228.8 KB
ID:	1063532

Name:	0679CB53-80CB-4298-84DC-806D69CDAA02.jpeg
Views:	333
Size:	221.0 KB
ID:	1063531

Comment

This is going to be as much fun to watch as was Dewesq55 's deck build. It's a lot of work, I know. That makes me glad that it's you and not me taking on such a project.

I imagine it's both fun and satisfying.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            It sure is a lot of work, but yes, it's a lot of fun too.

Nice. However, I am concerned for the tree as about half of its root system is now blocked by the deck and the plastic underneath. Any plans for irrigation?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Not sure if it's a problem, but then I know nothing about tree maintenance :-) It's not plastic underneath though, it's a weave that breathes and let's water through.

We had a tree through our deck, also. Make sure you leave enough room around the tree for future growth. Don't ask me how I know that. Looks like it will be a great addition.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, great feedback, will make adjustments.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here