Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexpected Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• JLR
    commented on 's reply
    Beautiful. Definitely a stress free zone!

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Thanks Richard Chrz ! Yvonne was happy to have more shaded/dry seating area.

Yeah Jerod Broussard I am debating the placement of the kamado, but its the grill most likely to be closed during folks jumping off the diving board, versus the flat top.

To be honest, when folks are going crazy jumping in the deep end of the pool, I fully expect the flat top to be the most used grill, for burgers, dogs and the like. I don't expect the kamado to be much in use.

• Jerod Broussard
    commented on 's reply
    What I like is the coming charcoal slide to the pool, snuff those hot babies out quickly.

• Richard Chrz
    commented on 's reply
    That sure opened that up nicely, well done Jim!

• jfmorris
    replied
    Well, its not an outdoor kitchen yet, but I did finally decide things had cured enough to move the kamado, flat top and a "guest" grill onto the new concrete yesterday!

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1525.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	215.8 KB
ID:	1414142 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1524.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	239.3 KB
ID:	1414143

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Reminds me of my collection of cookers in my outdoor kitchen except my Blaze gas grill has a permanent spot. I think that layout will serve you well. I like the guest cooker area. I'm eying an annexed area for my overflow adjacent to my covered area but I'll need to put in some retaining walls and move a lot of dirt before that happens.

• Bad Hat BBQ
    replied
    Nice Set-Up!.....happy for you

Leave a comment:

• rlozinak
    replied
    Congrats on your new space. Enjoy, looking forward to the build

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Dan Deter yeah - with concrete countertops I think you are right - it would be a legitimate concern. If I did something lighter like a tile countertop over cement backboard, less concerning.

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    There are Hardie panels on the outside of my new porch area. I hadn't seen them before, but they look great. They're getting painted today, I'll put pics up on my thread at the end of the day.

• Dan Deter
    commented on 's reply
    I love the castor idea, but would worry some about the weight. I'm sure its doable, just a worry.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Another issue I've read folks talk about with these outdoor kitchens is pests getting into the drawers and cabinets. A lot of the builds I've seen are open underneath to the concrete below. I think I'll be putting a base inside the accessible areas and making sure it is sealed up nice and tight. For the water inlet, I'll mount a hose hookup on the outside back in the area of the sink, rather than have a simple hole for the hose to go through.

The area I am unsure of putting storage below is under the kamado. Depends on how tall that section ends up being, and whether it needs central support, or if the 2x4 members holding up the slab are sufficient. They probably are, in which case a shorter 20x14 door may work there, giving me a place to put the accessories like the SNS or Vortex.

I am also debating something. If I break this into two cabinets, one with the griddle and LP tank, and one with the sink and kamado, and put them on leveling castors, it could be moved or relocated or taken with me in the future... I would just butt them against each other in the L configuration. If I build it in place, I'll need to take care of leveling the counter top by adjusting height of the various vertical framing members.

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    Jim White I was thinking they made a cement version of the T1-11, or sold it in 4x8 sheets. I have Hardie-plank on the back of the house from an addition we did with it, but it is the overlapping boards with a wood grain, and I would rather not have the overlap joints on something this small. Guess I could do it if I frame the door openings in somehow...

• Jim White
    commented on 's reply
    Looks fantastic. But for durability, I’d really lobby for Hardie board over the T1-11.

• jfmorris
    replied
    I went outside and made some measurements of the SNS Kamado and the Camp Chef FTG900 flat top last night, and have a good idea of what I want to do. Made some sketches on the iPad with the Apple Pencil last night, and firmed it up on the computer this morning.

First thought is something like this for the layout, leaving room for a table and 4 chairs in the center of the area. And there is enough room for me to bring a wheeled "guest" grill to the area as needed - the offset, the Genesis or the Performer. The rest of the time those grills will live out of sight in the end yard around the corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canvas 1.png
Views:	185
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1409125
    Basically, the 46 inch long camp chef would come off of its cart, and sit in a recessed area, with the top just above the surrounding concrete counter tops, with about 1 foot past it at the end. Underneath, a double door using some of those stainless BBQ access doors. On the other side of the "L" the kamado would be at the very end, with a small hospitality/prep sink centered in the rest of that side. This gives lots of counter space between the sink and kamado, and in the corner. Double door under the sink to access storage, and to empty the likely 5 gallon bucket I will have under the sink, since I don't plan to do plumbing, and will run a potable water hose from one of the house spigots, under the mulch. So it will be cold water only, for washing hands, rinsing glasses, etc, during the spring/summer/fall.

On the back side of the corner, in the side facing the yard, I would put a single access door, and store a hidden propane tank in the dead space at the corner. I've looked at the Camp Chef, and I just need to put a 90 degree brass fitting to angle its propane regulator hose down, and then get an extension hose to run across inside the cabinets.

I looked at a lot of videos on Youtube last night, and I think I've convinced myself that I will be doing simple 2x4 framing, with something simple like T1-11 siding to cover the outside, painted either to match the house, or painted black. For the top, I am going to make up forms out of melamine, and cast the concrete top with some wire reinforcement inside the slabs. I'll likely need to break the counter into several sections. Obviously a small slab at the SNSK and below the griddle where it sits, and then maybe put a joint at the upper left back corner of the griddle in the picture above.

Anyway, this is a ways off. Got a lot of pressure washing and painting and other stuff to do in the next month to make the backyard presentable, then I will think about this again.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here