Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexpected Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys - not paying someone to move this. If it is too hard, it gets chopped down!

Comment

All this work is fine & dandy, just as long as the goal is as smokin fool has now identified, the NEW John Deere.

Comment

Well, part one of this project involved tearing down a shed, which was actually built as a playhouse for my kids about 25 years ago, by my dad. I then turned it into a shed as they got older. I tell you what - to have a rotten roof and some rotted out walls, the floor is solid as a rock and in pristine condition - he used pressure treated 4x4's and treated plywood, then painted that plywood to protect it...

That complicates things as now I am tempted to build a replacement shed on that foundation, versus just getting an outdoor storage cabinet, which could mean outdoor kitchen stuff gets pushed back. My wife said I ought to build a new one and turn it into a tap-room for the pool, and move my kegerator out there, haha.

Comment

• RonB
          RonB commented
          Editing a comment
          I like the way your wife thinks.

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          RonB I think she has an ulterior motive, and thinks I will move all of my brewing equipment to the shed, and out of the garage. Considering I do most brewing in the evening, I don't think I care to try and do that in a small shed with no power or running water! And I can't dump boiling water in the backyard the way I can dump it down the driveway...

Well, funny thing was, it only took 2 full years for SWMBO to get me back on this project!

I spent all day this past Saturday digging up monkey grass, a shrub, LOTS AND LOTS of roots, and lots of pea gravel and river rock mixed into red clay... then made some forms to fill in a 2x8 section I always meant to extend, then another 7x9 section past that. I dumped 12 to 15 wheelbarrows of dirt and rock at the end of the house, in a dead area near my HVAC system, where I will ultimately spread it around and put a new layer of mulch over it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.70 MB ID:	1408485

Then yesterday, I grabbed 44 80# bags of concrete at Home Depot along with 10 bags of gravel, and hopped to it this morning with a rental mixer, with my 80 year old dad (he will be 81 in June) acting as my concrete spreader and first stage finisher, while I lifted, mixed and poured.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	1408484

I did NOT take a final photo, but here is turning the corner...

Click image for larger version  Name:	70361133290__0243B21D-0B59-4F7B-8110-F86840B88542.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.53 MB ID:	1408486

All in all it took about 2.5 to 3 hours, and I did the final finishing with a bull nose float, only to have my dad ask about an hour later if the Yorkshire terrier was supposed to be walking on it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	70362133048__5840DC98-D4EE-43AC-B80E-F664CE745494.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1408483

She left a trail of footprints that we will forever remember her by across the slab. And unfortunately, at this point we both felt it would do more harm than good to try and fix it. We had moved on to pouring a couple of steps by some deck stairs, and a landing outside my home office door by then.

Leftover was 6 bags of concrete and 4 bags of gravel, which I returned when I took back the mixer this afternoon. All in all, good progress.

So in 24 hours, foot traffic is allowed, and I'll be taking forms off and cleaning up the edge and spilled concrete that went outside the form. I'm going to wait a full week before rolling the kamado or Camp Chef onto this new outdoor kitchen area, but am already starting to think of an L shaped kitchen layout, and which grills will be in it. Either the kamado and flat top and maybe a small sink, or the kamado, flat top, and a place to put the Genesis as well. Options are endless, as are materials...

The concrete has a little slope to it, to continue to run water away from the pool, so any cabinets I build to house stuff can level out the cookers and countertop...

I'll come back here as I have updates, but am excited to have a new new outdoor area to play in this summer! I will also have to have some rules on cannonball contests while cooking, due to being closer to the deep end of the pool than I was before...

Comment

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          Good job. You both are going to sleep well tonight.

• mrichie1229
          mrichie1229 commented
          Editing a comment
          Actually, foot traffic is allowed after less than 2 hours if you are the terrier.

Good luck on staying dry while cooking near the pool!

Ah, keeping up with Jim White I see!
        he has me looking at my space too…..dang it Jim!

Comment

Looks great, Jim! And we are already working on our strategy for excluding the dogs from the area next week when the tile starts being installed. Tiles shifted out of place aren't nearly as cute as little footprints.

Just call me an enabler, smokenoob !

Comment

Pool party at Jim's .What's the date?

Comment

Very nice job. I especially like that you had the dog sign the finished concrete.

Comment

Wow, that is a nice piece of work you did there!

Comment

I love the Yorkie prints, as we have a Morkie that has to get into everything we do. Thinks he is our helper.
                  When we were kids, every time anyone did concrete work around us we got to put in our name and date.

Comment

Looking great, and how wonderful to have your Dad there working with you! And absolutely, the dog tracks deserve to stay!

Comment

Congrats! I know how much work that is. It is very gratifying when done, but getting to the finish line with your dad...priceless.

Comment

I went outside and made some measurements of the SNS Kamado and the Camp Chef FTG900 flat top last night, and have a good idea of what I want to do. Made some sketches on the iPad with the Apple Pencil last night, and firmed it up on the computer this morning.

First thought is something like this for the layout, leaving room for a table and 4 chairs in the center of the area. And there is enough room for me to bring a wheeled "guest" grill to the area as needed - the offset, the Genesis or the Performer. The rest of the time those grills will live out of sight in the end yard around the corner.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Canvas 1.png
Views:	184
Size:	12.8 KB
ID:	1409125
                        Basically, the 46 inch long camp chef would come off of its cart, and sit in a recessed area, with the top just above the surrounding concrete counter tops, with about 1 foot past it at the end. Underneath, a double door using some of those stainless BBQ access doors. On the other side of the "L" the kamado would be at the very end, with a small hospitality/prep sink centered in the rest of that side. This gives lots of counter space between the sink and kamado, and in the corner. Double door under the sink to access storage, and to empty the likely 5 gallon bucket I will have under the sink, since I don't plan to do plumbing, and will run a potable water hose from one of the house spigots, under the mulch. So it will be cold water only, for washing hands, rinsing glasses, etc, during the spring/summer/fall.

On the back side of the corner, in the side facing the yard, I would put a single access door, and store a hidden propane tank in the dead space at the corner. I've looked at the Camp Chef, and I just need to put a 90 degree brass fitting to angle its propane regulator hose down, and then get an extension hose to run across inside the cabinets.

I looked at a lot of videos on Youtube last night, and I think I've convinced myself that I will be doing simple 2x4 framing, with something simple like T1-11 siding to cover the outside, painted either to match the house, or painted black. For the top, I am going to make up forms out of melamine, and cast the concrete top with some wire reinforcement inside the slabs. I'll likely need to break the counter into several sections. Obviously a small slab at the SNSK and below the griddle where it sits, and then maybe put a joint at the upper left back corner of the griddle in the picture above.

Anyway, this is a ways off. Got a lot of pressure washing and painting and other stuff to do in the next month to make the backyard presentable, then I will think about this again.

Comment

• jfmorris
                          jfmorris commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Jim White I was thinking they made a cement version of the T1-11, or sold it in 4x8 sheets. I have Hardie-plank on the back of the house from an addition we did with it, but it is the overlapping boards with a wood grain, and I would rather not have the overlap joints on something this small. Guess I could do it if I frame the door openings in somehow...

• Jim White
                          Jim White commented
                          Editing a comment
                          There are Hardie panels on the outside of my new porch area. I hadn't seen them before, but they look great. They're getting painted today, I'll put pics up on my thread at the end of the day.

• Attjack
                          Attjack commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Reminds me of my collection of cookers in my outdoor kitchen except my Blaze gas grill has a permanent spot. I think that layout will serve you well. I like the guest cooker area. I'm eying an annexed area for my overflow adjacent to my covered area but I'll need to put in some retaining walls and move a lot of dirt before that happens.

Another issue I've read folks talk about with these outdoor kitchens is pests getting into the drawers and cabinets. A lot of the builds I've seen are open underneath to the concrete below. I think I'll be putting a base inside the accessible areas and making sure it is sealed up nice and tight. For the water inlet, I'll mount a hose hookup on the outside back in the area of the sink, rather than have a simple hole for the hose to go through.

The area I am unsure of putting storage below is under the kamado. Depends on how tall that section ends up being, and whether it needs central support, or if the 2x4 members holding up the slab are sufficient. They probably are, in which case a shorter 20x14 door may work there, giving me a place to put the accessories like the SNS or Vortex.

I am also debating something. If I break this into two cabinets, one with the griddle and LP tank, and one with the sink and kamado, and put them on leveling castors, it could be moved or relocated or taken with me in the future... I would just butt them against each other in the L configuration. If I build it in place, I'll need to take care of leveling the counter top by adjusting height of the various vertical framing members.

Comment

• Dan Deter
                          Dan Deter commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I love the castor idea, but would worry some about the weight. I'm sure its doable, just a worry.

• jfmorris
                          jfmorris commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Dan Deter yeah - with concrete countertops I think you are right - it would be a legitimate concern. If I did something lighter like a tile countertop over cement backboard, less concerning.

Congrats on your new space. Enjoy, looking forward to the build

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here