Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Unexpected Development

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• smokin fool
    commented on 's reply
    Another consideration is how heavy is this shrub gunna be and got enough of the boyz to move this thing.
    May be easier to cut it up and start aver with a new shrub.

• Smoke n Beers
    replied
    Congrats! I know how much work that is. It is very gratifying when done, but getting to the finish line with your dad...priceless.

Leave a comment:

• DaveD
    replied
    Looking great, and how wonderful to have your Dad there working with you! And absolutely, the dog tracks deserve to stay!

Leave a comment:

• Clark
    replied
    I love the Yorkie prints, as we have a Morkie that has to get into everything we do. Thinks he is our helper.
    When we were kids, every time anyone did concrete work around us we got to put in our name and date.

Leave a comment:

• Mosca
    replied
    Wow, that is a nice piece of work you did there!

Leave a comment:

• mrichie1229
    commented on 's reply
    Actually, foot traffic is allowed after less than 2 hours if you are the terrier.

Good luck on staying dry while cooking near the pool!

• Draznnl
    replied
    Very nice job. I especially like that you had the dog sign the finished concrete.

Leave a comment:

• Donw
    commented on 's reply
    Good job. You both are going to sleep well tonight.

• Clawbear57
    replied
    Pool party at Jim's .What's the date?

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    replied
    Looks great, Jim! And we are already working on our strategy for excluding the dogs from the area next week when the tile starts being installed. Tiles shifted out of place aren't nearly as cute as little footprints.

Just call me an enabler, smokenoob !

Leave a comment:

• smokenoob
    replied
    Ah, keeping up with Jim White I see!
    he has me looking at my space too…..dang it Jim!

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    replied
    Well, funny thing was, it only took 2 full years for SWMBO to get me back on this project!

I spent all day this past Saturday digging up monkey grass, a shrub, LOTS AND LOTS of roots, and lots of pea gravel and river rock mixed into red clay... then made some forms to fill in a 2x8 section I always meant to extend, then another 7x9 section past that. I dumped 12 to 15 wheelbarrows of dirt and rock at the end of the house, in a dead area near my HVAC system, where I will ultimately spread it around and put a new layer of mulch over it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1405.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.70 MB ID:	1408485

Then yesterday, I grabbed 44 80# bags of concrete at Home Depot along with 10 bags of gravel, and hopped to it this morning with a rental mixer, with my 80 year old dad (he will be 81 in June) acting as my concrete spreader and first stage finisher, while I lifted, mixed and poured.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1410.jpg Views:	0 Size:	3.46 MB ID:	1408484

I did NOT take a final photo, but here is turning the corner...

Click image for larger version  Name:	70361133290__0243B21D-0B59-4F7B-8110-F86840B88542.jpg Views:	0 Size:	4.53 MB ID:	1408486

All in all it took about 2.5 to 3 hours, and I did the final finishing with a bull nose float, only to have my dad ask about an hour later if the Yorkshire terrier was supposed to be walking on it...

Click image for larger version  Name:	70362133048__5840DC98-D4EE-43AC-B80E-F664CE745494.jpg Views:	0 Size:	1.39 MB ID:	1408483

She left a trail of footprints that we will forever remember her by across the slab. And unfortunately, at this point we both felt it would do more harm than good to try and fix it. We had moved on to pouring a couple of steps by some deck stairs, and a landing outside my home office door by then.

Leftover was 6 bags of concrete and 4 bags of gravel, which I returned when I took back the mixer this afternoon. All in all, good progress.

So in 24 hours, foot traffic is allowed, and I'll be taking forms off and cleaning up the edge and spilled concrete that went outside the form. I'm going to wait a full week before rolling the kamado or Camp Chef onto this new outdoor kitchen area, but am already starting to think of an L shaped kitchen layout, and which grills will be in it. Either the kamado and flat top and maybe a small sink, or the kamado, flat top, and a place to put the Genesis as well. Options are endless, as are materials...

The concrete has a little slope to it, to continue to run water away from the pool, so any cabinets I build to house stuff can level out the cookers and countertop...

I'll come back here as I have updates, but am excited to have a new new outdoor area to play in this summer! I will also have to have some rules on cannonball contests while cooking, due to being closer to the deep end of the pool than I was before...

Leave a comment:

• jfmorris
    commented on 's reply
    RonB I think she has an ulterior motive, and thinks I will move all of my brewing equipment to the shed, and out of the garage. Considering I do most brewing in the evening, I don't think I care to try and do that in a small shed with no power or running water! And I can't dump boiling water in the backyard the way I can dump it down the driveway...

• RonB
    commented on 's reply
    I like the way your wife thinks.

• jfmorris
    replied
    Well, part one of this project involved tearing down a shed, which was actually built as a playhouse for my kids about 25 years ago, by my dad. I then turned it into a shed as they got older. I tell you what - to have a rotten roof and some rotted out walls, the floor is solid as a rock and in pristine condition - he used pressure treated 4x4's and treated plywood, then painted that plywood to protect it...

That complicates things as now I am tempted to build a replacement shed on that foundation, versus just getting an outdoor storage cabinet, which could mean outdoor kitchen stuff gets pushed back. My wife said I ought to build a new one and turn it into a tap-room for the pool, and move my kegerator out there, haha.

Leave a comment:

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here