Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Grill Brush Emitter

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Grill Brush Emitter

We all know what an emitter is right? For those that don’t, it’s a machine, device, etc., that emits something......or in a transistor.......never mind!

So I was doing my annual grill clean the other day and found some interesting "foreign material" on the grease-crud pan. We all have been alerted to the fact that grill brushes shed and can cause harm if they are transported into out bodies by hoping a ride on our grilled food. So, last year I bought one of those safe curly stainless steel grill brushes thinking I no longer need to pass my prized "Q" through a metal detector before I devour it. Well, upon cleaning the grease-crud pan, what do I find? A bunch of curly stainless steel brushes from my "safe" curly stainless steel grill brush . Now granted, the curly ones may pass through the body easier that the straight ones but.......I don’t know.......

So, what’s the next best grill brush? I searched the "pit" and read about those steamy ones but not sure about that.....other options?
    Last edited by smokenoob; January 17, 2021, 08:30 AM.

I can tell you from experience that the threat of that happening is real. About 2 or 3 years ago I was sitting down to eat something I’d grilled and suddenly felt a sharp pain in the roof of my mouth. Didn’t know what it was. I could feel the bristle with my fingers but couldn’t get it out myself. I had to go to a neighbor and have him pull it out with tweezers. It was a single piece of the wire brush I used. I very well could have swallowed that little single piece of metal but luckily I didn’t. Did I learn my lesson and switch to another type of grill brush? No. I just bought a new one. I’m just more careful now with inspecting my grates. I know I wasn’t any help, but I’ll listen to other people who respond.
    Last edited by Panhead John; January 17, 2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      I find the best cleaner is to ball up some tin foil and give the grate a rub.
      Brought a wooden grate scraper but is sucks.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      I like going full heat at the end of a cook. If I used tin foil I would cook my hand!

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack same here crank open the dampers and let it rage.
      Have a pair of 24" tongs and grab the foil in those but usually lose most knuckle and some forearm hair

I use cheap stainless steel scrubber sponge from Lowe’s or Home Depot. Plus some dawn dish soap. Works great.

Comment

STEbbq did a nice write up on the Fire Grill Rescue brush. I have one and answered some questions for him prior to him picking one up based on my experience. After he used it a few times he provided this really nice write up. I’ve had mine for a year and use it every few cooks, and from his article, I learned you could throw the grill head in the dish washer, so I did that immediately and it did a nice cleaning on it.

Overall, I'd highly recommend the Grill Rescue Brush. I think it is the best cleaning device I've ever had. This one is for you Huskee . The brush is dishwasher safe for 100 uses per head, uses steam to clean, no wires, and leaves no residue on your smoker. For background, I've used scrubby wipes (disintegrate after 2-3

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, I read that in my search, just wasn’t sure that was the answer, will have to wait for sale

• STEbbq
      STEbbq commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob Sign up for the emails as they will send out coupons.

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      STEbbq will do, thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by smokenoob View Post
    We all know what an emitter is right? For those that don’t, it’s a machine, device, etc., that emits something......or in a transistor....... (Which reminds me; must locate my small collection of mid-50's germanium collectibles ... including a couple of original CK722's so that I can further mystify my Millennial next door neighbors everyone needs a hobby, right?)).

So, what’s the next best grill brush? I searched the "pit" and read about those steamy ones but not sure about that.....other options?
    This one works pretty well for me on a Weber EP-330 and an OG:

Click image for larger version

Name:	481A335D-4320-4F7D-B495-88EE7A2ED429.jpeg
Views:	363
Size:	57.7 KB
ID:	975353

Comment

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob - I didn't understand what you meant in your original post when you referred to "curly stainless steel brushes". Now I do and I guess I need to keep an eye on my own "safe" brush. Perhaps ditching all metal brushes and a return to balled up aluminum foil is in order. Truth be told, I'm not sure that brushes do a better job anyway ...

• Rod
      Rod commented
      Editing a comment
      smokenoob MBMorgan That's the exact brush I use. I thought it was a couple of long continuous wires all coiled up. Wonder how that could leave little shards of wire?

• MBMorgan
      MBMorgan commented
      Editing a comment
      Rod - "Wonder how that could leave little shards of wire?"

Maybe debris from manufacturing and not from wear and tear as a result of scraping the grill grates? Regardless, it's well worth keeping an eye on the situation ...

I ball up a piece of aluminum foil. I have had a number of brushes over the years and for me nothing works better than foil.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve never tried that and have lots of foil, maybe just pull a piece off my hat to clean the grill?

• DavidNorcross
      DavidNorcross commented
      Editing a comment
      Yup. I just pull off a piece of foil, ball it up and scrub the grates.

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 as mentioned above my go to for grates.

I have just treated my grill brushes as consumable items to be replaced regularly. Just whenever one seems to be getting tired. 🤔

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      that should work as long as the trash can consumes them before I do

I've moved to this.

Comment

• smokenoob
      smokenoob commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I saw that in my search but didn’t know where to get one!
      engage "Buy Now"

I have one similar to this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Garden-Guru...%2C138&sr=8-11

I think you'd notice chewing on it too...

I think someone mentioned a welding brush here some time ago. Just make sure the bristles are heavy duty.
    Last edited by RonB; January 17, 2021, 11:28 AM.

Comment

I use a grill brush called the Grillinator and it’s the best one I’ve ever used. However, I always wipe down grill grates with paper towel prior to every cook to make sure nothing is on them. https://grillinator.com/collections/...sh-on-steroids

Comment

I still use the wire brushes, but with several caveats. I only us e the Weber ones, replace them frequently, like 3-4 times a year sometimes, and generally only use them post cook. Then I brush again before firing up for the next cook with my char broil nylon brush. If I don’t get it done post cook and need to use a wire brush precook it’s pre lighting, followed by nylon and often oiling too.

The Weber choice isn’t because I’m that brand loyalist to Weber, it’s just that the bamboo handled ones seem to be the best quality brushes at your local department/big box store and I’ve never seen a bristle come off one yet and I used to use them for years until I had almost worn the front few rows of bristles away.. I’m not condoning the risk is really worth it though, I just haven’t found something else as efficient for my laziness.

I also steam clean my grates 1-2 time a year. I did that more often on a gasser since you can clean in place and dry in a couple minutes by lighting it.

Comment

• smokin fool
          smokin fool commented
          Editing a comment
          You've hit the nail on the head, it makes life much easier when you clean the grate right after cooking before things turn to concrete.
          I try do do this but lets face it do not always have the time.

I generally clean after preheating using the curly brushes. Sometimes do a high heat burn off to really incinerate any built up gunk. Easy on the gasser.

I have found bristles on my grates that's why I switched to tho coiled grill brushes. I'm not overlly anal about keeping my grates clean. I look at it like seasoning a cast iron pan. I assume the heat kills any germs.

Comment

Here’s a pic of my "broken curls"
          Attached Files

Comment

• Rod
            Rod commented
            Editing a comment
            Now I can see how that happened! I usually replace mine when I see one break.

I have tried several grill brushes over the years. I have gotten in the habit of using steel welding brushes with the largest bristles I can find. Right now I get them at Harbor Freight which come in a package of three for perhaps $5. I have yet to find any broken bristles on my grates but I just assume sooner or later I will and they will be easy to see. I usually brush the grate down after a cook if there is time but before the next cook I always, and I mean always bring the grate up to temp, scrape, brush and examine before I put any food on it. So far so good.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here