Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hourglass timer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hourglass timer

I have searched high and low (whatever that means) trying to find a two minute hourglass. It would be used for cooking, primarily for turning steaks.

Found a company that makes them and bought one but the sand always clogged up. Called them, they sent another one and the same thing happened.

Your suggestions will really be appreciated!!

I assuming you are speaking of searing steaks. I would do that based on how they look rather than the time. Time will vary based on your searing temperature.

Comment

Click image for larger version  Name:	12D42DB0-B408-4377-8F56-8BD2A7250425.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	974981 Are you gonna use it in conjunction with your abacus? If you do find one....The Pony Express should have it delivered to you in a few weeks.
      Last edited by Panhead John; January 20, 2021, 02:40 PM.

Comment

In the old bullet proof days 2 minutes was 1 sip of scotch and half a cigarette. Now days it's just long enough for me to forget to flip a steak.

Comment

• Clark
          Clark commented
          Editing a comment
          Oak Smoke I usually get interrupted by the wife or dog and forget my timing.

That's surprising I have hourglass timers that come with board games and they have never clogged up.

Comment

Haven't seen or used one in a bazillion years, but Amazon seems to have a ton of them including packs with various minutes of timed sand "pours".
          Amazon.com : hour glass timer

Comment

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            GolfGeezer Thanks for the best advice I've received! I usually try to avoid Amazon but I will check it out.

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            GolfGeezer Thanks for your suggestion. Bought a set of six yesterday from Amazon. I never think of them as I had trouble with Amazon a couple of times years ago.

• GolfGeezer
            GolfGeezer commented
            Editing a comment
            Glad to help and I hope they work out the way you want. We use Amazon all the time. Sure, we’ve had issues, but most of the time we get (quickly!) the product we want at a decent price.

Your phone can also set a timer for you, if you want. What type of phone do you have Clark ? On the iPhone and iPad you have a timer inside the Clock app. I just say, "Hey Siri, set me a timer for 2 minutes." Or you can just tap on the "clock" app built into the phone. Tap the clock icon and when it opens, you can set a timer for however long you want. Just an FYI if you can’t find a suitable hourglass.
          Attached Files

Comment

• Clark
            Clark commented
            Editing a comment
            Panhead John By the time I've done all of that, my 2 minutes have passed! Thanks anyway.

"Siri, beep me every two minutes and put Tom Petty radio on"

Comment

Probably more than you're looking for, Clark, but this is such a nice-looking set. Made of glass, completely sealed. Besides using for cooking, they also could be a fun kitchen decoration, and/or a good way to get a toddler to reckon with time.

Click image for larger version  Name:	613aERmydyL._AC_SL1000_.jpg Views:	0 Size:	75.3 KB ID:	975922

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Clark , if possible, can you post a link to the set you purchased? With the number breakdown of your set, I'm thinking it would be a good way to teach simple addition to a 4 year old. Thanks.

Kathryn

• Clark
              Clark commented
              Editing a comment
              fzxdoc Kathryn, I am a very low tech guy and don't even know how to post links, etc. The set arrived yesterday and are very nice. Each hourglass has different color plastic and the sand is even the same color. It looks similar to the one you posted above except where yours are black, mine are different colors. I got them from Amazon for $19.99. There are numerous sets to pick from after I typed in Hourglass timers.
              Hope this helps a bit.

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks, Clark , for the additional information. I found them.

Kathryn

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here