Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you have a molcajete or mortar and pestle that you like?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    Great idea. I have a tienda in walking distance.

• Mark V
    commented on 's reply
    I have a basic grinder you wouldn't be interested in. Try a "molcajete" in a restaurant sometime and you will thank me.

• Troutman
    replied
    Find a good Mexican grocery or meat market. I have a 6” model made of lava stone, had it for years. I’ve seen them larger but have no need for one personally.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    Wile E coyote just rolls a boulder off a cliff onto his spices.

Leave a comment:

• bbqLuv
    replied
    A cast-iron pan and a mallet works for me.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    replied
    I use a magic bullet

Leave a comment:

• SmokingPat
    commented on 's reply
    What style grinder? I have devices you could call a 'flying blade grinder': a coffee grinder, a mini-processor for food, and the usual food processor.
    I'm looking for devices that grind with two opposing rough wheels.

• Mark V
    replied
    I use a spice grinder for spices. I usually see molcajetes used as in a dish that is fantastic.

Leave a comment:

• Starsky
    replied
    I have two. One small, one larger. Both ceramic and smooth. So I'm going to show my ignorance and ask "why use these instead of a food processer? Is it a "cool" factor or do they add something to the dish you're preparing?

Leave a comment:

• Santamarina
    replied
    I picked up a very heavy stone one at Costco years ago. It was only $15 and it’s worth it’s weight in gold!

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I would think a sprayer with hot water would work well. And a bristled brush.
    Last edited by Attjack; January 15, 2021, 04:59 PM.

• Uncle Bob
    replied
    My small m&p is formed from granite, slightly rough bowl surface, roughly 4" wide mouth, 3" deep. I use it mostly for grinding spices, sometimes small batch of smashed garlic. Works great with just enough friction. Have a small brush to "dust it out".

Also have the molcajete as you describe, lava stone. Did the rice and oil and garlic thing to season it and don't get any detectable grit anymore. Took a while with the rice to get it there. When I make guac in it there are still cavities that hold mush when done so use a slightly stiff bristle brush to clean out the green. I just accept that as part of the "charm" to emulating authentic.
    Last edited by Uncle Bob; January 15, 2021, 04:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Old Glory
    replied
    I always wondered how you cleaned mushed up avocado out of one of those coarse M&Ps.

I have a smooth marble one. I tap the spices gently until they start to break up then you can grind them.

I was looking at Thai versions to grind up stuff for Thai stir fries and curries.
    Last edited by Old Glory; January 15, 2021, 03:03 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Jim White
    replied
    I will be watching this thread closely. Like Attjack, I'd like a large one for guacamole. I do have a smaller cheap wooden one that is narrow and deeper than most that I use sometimes for pesto.

Leave a comment:

• Attjack
    commented on 's reply
    I saw some complaints in the reviews on Amazon along those lines. I'm assuming if the molcajete is a good one there's a way to condition it properly.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here