Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

grill grates

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

grill grates

does anyone else have grill grates? Has this been talked about somewhere else on the discussion board?

Got 'em. Love them to death. Soooooo nice to load up a little weber full of charcoal, throw on the grates and cook away, leave 'em, go in the house, come back out to flip and what not....no moving burgers, or chicken, or whatever....

Best buy for a grill...

Click image for larger version

Name:	burgsalt1.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	73.5 KB
ID:	9751

Comment

cool. thanks for the info and pic. I have them on my gasser. We've cooked pizza a few times now (turned them upside down) and they seem to work "grate". I know they say not to really "clean" them, but I like to scrape the crap off before I cook with them, and they can be a little fussy to clean. No biggie, though.

I like the spatula too. It's actually pretty good for moving the pizza around (once it starts to cook a little) and it does help clean it. Happy with the investment.

Comment

"Spatula on horse testosterone," I say.

You can beat people off the food with that thing.

Comment

You have to have 'em. They are pretty great! I do clean mine a lot more often than the company recommends but a little high pressure water and sunshine to dry them, and they are perfect. More ya use them, better they get! Perfectly cooked a flank steak on my GrillGrates tonight. Dry brined for 3 hours and rubbed with Big Bad Beef Rub.

Comment

• SaskatoonBusche
            SaskatoonBusche commented
            Editing a comment
            I did the flank steak with a board sauce a few months back. tasty. i'll have to try the bbbr. I'll give the pressure wash a try too. thanks

I can't recommend them enough. I have bought two sets, talked them up at work and some guys bought them and love them as well. I also really like the new griddle too! Talk about finishing off a flank steak! Jim

Comment

I like em, but mine never seem to come clean...I know they need to be seasoned and all but even after pressure washing and scrubbing, mine are still all black.

Comment

• Virginia Dave
              Virginia Dave commented
              Editing a comment
              Nothing wrong with them being black. You want them that way. I use high pressure water to remove the grease and let them air dry.

• David Parrish
              David Parrish commented
              Editing a comment
              I don't even give them that much attention. I just keep them scraped clean and burn crud off at high heat every now and then.

I was having problems with hot and not so hot spots on my gas grill (even with the burners clean and even blue flame) I bought the GG's and Viola! I had some sticking issues the first two cooks but once I got the oil season right it's been clear sailing. As far as cleaning I pretty much follow the leave them alone approach, brush the top rails and use the spat to clear the chared gunk in the valleys then every full moon or five remove all grates and give the fire box a good clean.
            I noticed Consumer Reports gave GG a Ho-Hum review, makes me wonder if they know what they're doing.

Comment

• 3DJ
              3DJ commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, I'm with you. I am not so sure about consumer reports. These are the same people that said all CD players essentially sound the same LOL. Now I used to sell very high end audio equipment, but I would think a lot of people could tell the difference between a good sounding player and a cheap bad one. I always remember this about those guys.

Jim

• jholmgren
              jholmgren commented
              Editing a comment
              Same comment on CR. Worked for RadioShack way back in the day. All of our AV gear (receivers) was Pioneer back then. Literally the same receiver with different badges applied. Pioneer always way out-rated Realistic ('shack brand) in CR - that always had me scratching my head.

I replaced the grills on by Weber Genesis with them so they are my entire cooking surface. It is great. I get close to 500 degrees on the direct side and around 250 degrees on the indirect side and that is with the flame on low! No flare ups and wonderful grill marks. Worth the investment.

Comment

When I cranked the Yoder 640 on full blast for a mega sear (for a lot of steaks) I actually wound up warping them. I use them all the time. I do have a time cleaning them. I get them semi-clean with brillo pads if they have had a bunch of cooked in sauce...

Comment

Hi -- Based on the enthusiastic recommendations in this thread & on the site, I've ordered some GrillGrates for my Memphis Advantage. However, I'm still a little puzzled about when to use them (and when not). For example, should I use them for long cooks like roasts / shoulders / ribs? And if not for the long cook portion, presumably I should for the reverse sear. In that case, would I use them in conjunction with the searing insert that I got with the grill, or would that be too much?

Thanks for any thoughts!

Comment

I've read a lot about GrillGrates here and there seems to be a consensus of how well they work. Further research on other parts of the web also confirm their worth to those that use them. I wonder if it would be worth using in a Kamado type cooker?

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here