Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Zero Credit's Official Grill Rescue Brush Review (accept no substitutes)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Zero Credit's Official Grill Rescue Brush Review (accept no substitutes)

Overall, I'd highly recommend the Grill Rescue Brush. I think it is the best cleaning device I've ever had. This one is for you Huskee . The brush is dishwasher safe for 100 uses per head, uses steam to clean, no wires, and leaves no residue on your smoker.

For background, I've used scrubby wipes (disintegrate after 2-3 uses),a wooden cleaner (too hard to use), BBQ spray (didn't work),and stiff nylon brushes (ha ha ha!), mainly to clean grill grates to little success, in my view. A simple paint scraper does a decent job, but I needed something a bit more in-depth for deeper cleans. The MB560 has a few more pieces that require cleaning (drip and grease pans), so I wanted something that would last a while, was cleanable so it wouldn't just spread grime on the second use, and would be an upgrade. I don't use wire brushes because of the safety concerns, as it looks all virtually all brushes will break down over time.

I noticed Meathead recommended the Grilltastic, which was $100 bucks, so I liked the idea of using steam to clean. Since the Rescue Brush used steam, I felt this was a good option, especially at "sale" pricing.

The Grill Rescue product is about a year old at this point, and was originally funded off KickStarter (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ll-brush/posts ) . Reviews outside of its website ( https://www.grillrescue.com/ ) are pretty shallow and limited.

Amazon pricing at $50 per brush is not realistic, as the Grill Rescue site seems to run sales nearly constantly (at least every few months) for 50% off pricing. Amazon reviews also reflect what appears to be knock-offs, so I would only buy from the original site. I bought 2 brushes + 4 heads with scrapers for $52 shipped. I consider this more or less "normal" pricing. Shipping took a bit more than a week, and the brushes and heads are clearly substantial, heavy, and well made. I'm not surprised that the site claims they can be run over and survive.

As a side note, the marketing for this brush on the website is.....creative (see bikini-clad ladies..). I also joined their FB group, and it does look like they are paying for reviews ($50 a review). I am not compensated for this review to be clear.

To set up the scene, it is about 30-35 degrees today. I took the MB560 to 400 degrees and let it sit for 10-15 minutes. I also soaked the grill brush in water while I was waiting. Immediately on placing the brush on the grates, it generated clouds of steam, so I did several passes and dunked it back in the water, and rinse, repeat. Clearly, you want to keep it wet so it can continue to do its work every pass. I did not need to press down on the brush at all, just running it over the grates with minimal pressure. I ran the brush over both sides (flipped em) of the grates while in the smoker, then held each one up with a gloved hand and did another pass on both sides.

Here's what the grates looked like beforehand.

Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; December 13, 2020, 06:40 PM.

And here's what they looked like afterwards.

I did take the small grease catcher into the house to clean it off with soap and water, and also use paper towels to wipe off the grease and water.

Net net, pretty respectable improvement for minimal hard labor. Actual cleaning time was probably 10-15 minutes. Not bad at all I think and the entire process start to finish (pulling MB560 out, heating, cleaning, storing again) took about 45-50 minutes.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by STEbbq; December 13, 2020, 04:20 PM.

Comment

Brush pre and post clean. The head was a bit tricky to remove after cleaning but a few tries got it off and in the dishwasher. I plan to wash it in the dishwasher because they can be, so why not. I inspected the head carefully, and I noticed no damage (rips, tears etc.) so it clearly holds up pretty well. Heads are supposed to last about 100 uses, so we will see.
      Attached Files
      Last edited by STEbbq; December 13, 2020, 05:00 PM.

Comment

What's in the brush head under the covering? Is it just a sponge?

Comment

Originally posted by BBQPhil View Post
          What's in the brush head under the covering? Is it just a sponge?
          BBQPhil

The covering is made out of some kind of firefighter material and is pretty tough. It feels spongy so I assume some kind of spongy material is inside but the actual covering itself cannot be removed. The entire head is going in the dishwasher.
          Last edited by STEbbq; December 13, 2020, 09:40 PM.

Comment

• MsTwiggy
            MsTwiggy commented
            Editing a comment
            I thought maybe it was Kevlar.

• DogFaced PonySoldier
            DogFaced PonySoldier commented
            Editing a comment
            It is a Kevlar outer layer and a heat retardant foam inside. According to the company,

barelfly

Sam6687

Comment

Great write up! Like you, this has been my experience as well! It works great, as long you as you make sure it is soaking wet! I learned really quick on that one!

But I did learn from you that the heads are dish washer safe! I’ll be dropping the head into the dish washer tonight!

I’ve had mine for a year now I think, I think that’s when my buddy gave this to me - last Christmas. And like I’ve mentioned, I don’t use it every time I grill but just when it’s really gunked up and it’s still in great shape! But it could use a cleaning!

glad you got one and are happy with it! And thanks for the write up!

Comment

• STEbbq
              STEbbq commented
              Editing a comment
              Thank you! Your thoughts really helped sell me on the initial buy!

Thanks for the in depth writeup! I've been looking at these for quite some time. I think you may have just pushed me to pull the trigger.

Comment

"I also soaked the grill brush while I was waiting in water." I don't understand why you were waiting in water??

Nice review though.

Comment

• STEbbq
                STEbbq commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha ha.🤣

• 2for66
                2for66 commented
                Editing a comment
                Ah, must be an English teacher among us!

STEbbq I have been looking at these and based on your review I have now ordered. Glad I waited there are some good deals on their site right now.

Comment

come on over, do you do windows also?

Comment

Great review! Interesting product. I may have to get one of these.

Comment

My MB Vertical Smoker gets up over 350. Wonder if I can clean the interior walls with one of these?

Comment

• STEbbq
                      STEbbq commented
                      Editing a comment
                      It should work. I guess I’d be more worried about losing any protective layer of seasoning on the walls so perhaps a good coating of oil again afterwards?

Thanks for this!

Comment

Ordered the deuce today so I’ll see how it works on my grills and smoker.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here